> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mr. Spock's Applied Theory Galactic Compendium
Spock
post Jan 4 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.265

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 4 2013, 03:50 AM) *
Correct, with one little observation - you already have D# in E major so you want to call it C# instead of Db wink.gif right? Because you can't have
E F# G# A B Db D# E biggrin.gif focus on this aspect and let's see the formulas for Amajor and B major, their relative minors and the major and minor chords - B major/ minor and A major/ minor!

Okay, I think this answers these questions:

A Major A B Bb D E Gb Ab A

A Relative Minor: Gb

Gb Relative Minor Scale: Gb Ab A B Db Eb F Gb

B Major B Db Eb E Gb Ab Bb B

B Relative Minor: Ab

Ab Relative Minor Scale: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 5 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 4 2013, 08:56 PM) *
Okay, I think this answers these questions:

A Major A B Bb D E Gb Ab A

A Relative Minor: Gb

Gb Relative Minor Scale: Gb Ab A B Db Eb F Gb

B Major B Db Eb E Gb Ab Bb B

B Relative Minor: Ab

Ab Relative Minor Scale: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

smile.gif Mate, read the sentence I wrote before the one you colored in red biggrin.gif You did the exact opposite of what I stated tongue.gif Focus a bit and I am sure you will get the thing going wink.gif If you have any question regarding my statement, please tell me biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 5 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #23

Arrrrrrrgh matey!

A Major A B C# D E F# G# A w w h w w w h <--- I had a mistake in that line too

A Relative Minor: F#

Gb Relative Minor Scale: F# G# A B C# D E F# w h w w h w w

B Major B C# D# E F# G# A# B w w h w w w h

B Relative Minor: G#

G# Relative Minor Scale: G# A# B C# D# E F# G# w h w w h w w

I actually had it written using the sharps, then went back and put flats instead. I guess I am still confused as to when to settle on sharp or flat. I guess I was thinking they were interchangeable, but if you start writing it one way, then to stick with that throughout.

this morning I'm actually working on that beginner's Pentatonic licks by Muris Varajic, but once I get that beginner's solo committed to memory, hopefully by the end of today, I'll see if I can get my video set-up working so you can slaughter me with critiques on my sloppiness. smile.gif

BTW Cosmin. You had asked about my PRS' being Custom 24s in that other thread. I am certain that is what I purchased, but it was 2007 when I got that last one, and now I want to sell it and get a Les Paul. Thing is, there are no markings on the guitar anywhere, only a serial number. I have contacted PRS customer service to see if they can give me the spec run-down, and have not heard back from them yet.

How well do you know PRS'? I posted up close pics of that silver one in the other thread, as well as on a PRS forum, and so far nobody has been able to answer, as it seems that PRS has a very bizarre and almost creepy way of labeling their products so it is next to impossible to know exactly what you're getting unless you keep all the paperwork when purchasing brand new.

Any ideas?

It's the last post in this thread...

Link to thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 5 2013, 04:44 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Don't worry man, it'll come in time and with practice wink.gif Oh, please correct the Gb left there and make it an F# biggrin.gif

About the PRS - I will ask a good friend of mine working for the official PRS dealer in Romania to check out that series and let you know on the result biggrin.gif Stay tuned wink.gif Now, have you ever heard about harmonizing a scale?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 5 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #25

A Major A B C# D E F# G# A w w h w w w h
A Relative Minor: F#
F# Relative Minor Scale: F# G# A B C# D E F# w h w w h w w

B Major B C# D# E F# G# A# B w w h w w w h
B Relative Minor: G#
G# Relative Minor Scale: G# A# B C# D# E F# G# w h w w h w w

No, I have never heard of harmonizing a scale?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 6 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #26

Instructor
Group Icon

Hehe! Hey there mate!

Harmonizing a scale means replacing each step of the scale with a chord instead of playing a single note.

We would be using only notes belonging to the scale itself, so following this idea, we get the following formula (they are chords):

Major minor minor Major Major minor diminished Major (Diminished chord formula = 1 b3 b5)

For instance, in the case of C major the chords harmonizing the scale are: C major D minor E minor F major G major A minor B diminished C major

Let's see smile.gif what would the chords used to harmonize D major be?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 6 2013, 08:41 PM
Post #27

You mean there's more to guitar than bar cords? Kidding.

I'll look at this tomorrow as I have my kid home from school today, he's trying to help me too. We've had him taking piano since he was 4 years old and today he is in college on a music scholarship. He plays tuba in the marching band, but he is also a drummer and getting really good on the bass. I'm very proud of him.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 6 2013, 10:51 PM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Oh!! So nice! Congrats on leading him on a musical journey smile.gif See you tomorrow man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 7 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

Mate, regarding your PRS Question, have you tried this? http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/year.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 9 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #30

Hey Cosmin, I'm just now having a chance to look at this in depth.

Okay, so I need to commit to memory: MAJOR minor minor MAJOR MAJOR Diminished MAJOR

I don't understand the formula 1 b3 b5?

So chords harmonizing D Major are:
D MAJOR E minor F# minor G MAJOR A MAJOR B minor C# Diminished D MAJOR

1 b3 b5? D Major F minor B Major (?)

ohmy.gif

Concerning the PRS, I did see that, but I knew the year it was, so I wrote PRS and a representative answered back. I am having second thoughts on selling it now as I have been playing it often this past week.

Ends up it's a 2007 Standard 24, solid mahogany body, mahogany neck with a Regular carve, East Indian rosewood fretboard, Platinum Metallic finish with HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 10 2013, 10:33 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey mate!

DO not sell that PRS laugh.gif Unless I make enough money to buy it biggrin.gif

Now - memorize that formula but please add the 'minor' after the two majors and before the diminished - you missed it wink.gif

The rest is correct and regarding the diminished chords - 1 b3 b5 means root, minor third, flat fifth smile.gif In the case of D major we would have C# diminished which is made out of C# E G and in the case of D diminished, we would have D F Ab (I used Ab instead of G#, because we have a b5)

Can you tell me which are the notes making up the E major scale and then harmonize the whole scale, telling me what notes make up each chord? smile.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 13 2013, 02:53 AM
Post #32

Yikes, this stuff is breaking my mind. I'm still digesting everything up to this point. Just talking about it and looking at it daily is familiarizing me to everything, and I am learning, but I have not got this stuff memorized yet. I still have to go back and look over the posts and reference the guitar scales. I'll get back to you on this next riddle.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 13 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 13 2013, 01:53 AM) *
Yikes, this stuff is breaking my mind. I'm still digesting everything up to this point. Just talking about it and looking at it daily is familiarizing me to everything, and I am learning, but I have not got this stuff memorized yet. I still have to go back and look over the posts and reference the guitar scales. I'll get back to you on this next riddle.

Ahoy there! Take your time mate biggrin.gif I want to forever scar these things into your soul!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 13 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #34

Hey Cosmin,

Just talked to my friend in Bucharest. He will be playing at papa la soni, on the 23rd of january. If you like blues, please go out there and see him and say hello. I told him you are teaching me, and he, as well, is teaching me too - on Skype.

I showed him this thread too and your work, he was very complimentary of you.

His name is Clay Windham.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 13 2013, 02:36 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 13 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #35

Instructor
Group Icon

Heeey biggrin.gif How cool is that? Thanks man! I'll go for certain! biggrin.gif Thank you very much smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 14 2013, 01:08 PM
Post #36

Hey Cosmin, Been working out this idea for the past week. It's still just a puppy and there's no bass or keyboard or anything. I suffered over the solo because I couldn't figure out a run that I thought worked, so I stuck with bends. Anyway, the sound your band comes up with is very much the way I like to write, and I wanted to get some creative input from you. I stayed pretty simple to give everyone a base to work over, especially lyrically.

https://soundcloud.com/lllspocklll/c-t-idea-in-progress8

BTW - I decided not to sell the silver PRS, I am in love with it again. I've been using it on this idea.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 14 2013, 01:13 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 15 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

Mate, honestly, but HONESTLY speaking - I love the solo, just as it is!! It sounds very original! What I'd add is a bit more dynamics, like the ones you have used in the parts where the guitar plays less - around min 01:00 but with more rhythmic variation biggrin.gif

And vocals would do absolute justice! Yay! The PRS stays! I am glad to hear that! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 15 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #38

Thanx for your input! I understand about being more dynamic, I guess that is difficult for me when I am writing the parts by myself using only guitar, I think those sort of parts flow more easily when writing with a group of people in a practice environment. Hope to get together with the guys over the weekend and work on this idea and incorporate in those more dynamic ideas.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 15 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Indeed, working with the band will provide fresh ideas all the time, but you can also do it at home with the drums or in your head - I usually come up with all the stuff after I already hear it in my head in a rudimentary form. Then I record and mold and modify until I get what I want. People usually become satisfied to quickly with a product smile.gif I think you should push yourself a bit more before saying 'this is the best I can do' biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jan 16 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 10 2013, 04:33 AM) *
Hey mate!

DO not sell that PRS laugh.gif Unless I make enough money to buy it biggrin.gif

Now - memorize that formula but please add the 'minor' after the two majors and before the diminished - you missed it wink.gif

The rest is correct and regarding the diminished chords - 1 b3 b5 means root, minor third, flat fifth smile.gif In the case of D major we would have C# diminished which is made out of C# E G and in the case of D diminished, we would have D F Ab (I used Ab instead of G#, because we have a b5)

Can you tell me which are the notes making up the E major scale and then harmonize the whole scale, telling me what notes make up each chord? smile.gif

Cosmin

I'm having such a hard time with this. I just can't see the formula in my head.

I started typing out what you have shown me just so it would soak in, but then I'm drawing a blank?

Maybe I am not understanding the question. You asked me to show the notes of E Major which are: E F# G# A B C# D# E

Then Harmonize the whole scale. So to do that I apply: MAJOR-minor-minor-MAJOR-MAJOR-minor-Diminished-MAJOR

Which translates for E Major to: E MAJOR, F# minor, G# minor, A MAJOR, B MAJOR, C# minor, D# Diminished, E MAJOR

Then you asked me what notes make up each chord. So are you asking me the notes to each of these chords?

E Major Chord:

F# Minor Chord:

G# Minor Chord:

A Major Chord:

B Major Chord:

C# Minor Chord:

D# Diminished:

And I can show those, but the only way I know how to do that would be to search Google.

What part of the equation am I missing to understand how to figure this?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 05:40 PM