2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitar Theory Hang, Questions and Discussion Related to Guitar and Music Theory
The Professor
post Jan 11 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #21

Theory Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 17.394

Cool, yeah seeing the intervals and note names on the neck makes reworking chords like this much easier then if someone is struggling to find the notes on the fretboard.

Seeing a chord as 1 3 5 rather than just a shape is a big step in the learning process of any guitarist, well worth working on when first starting out on the instrument and exploring the theory behind what you're playing

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 11 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 11 2013, 08:01 AM) *
Cool, yeah seeing the intervals and note names on the neck makes reworking chords like this much easier then if someone is struggling to find the notes on the fretboard.

Seeing a chord as 1 3 5 rather than just a shape is a big step in the learning process of any guitarist, well worth working on when first starting out on the instrument and exploring the theory behind what you're playing

Yeah, man it's important to get rid of shapes even though our instrument is built in such a way that it favors shapes, as opposed to a piano for instance or a wind instrument smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 11 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #23

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 11 2013, 07:27 AM) *
I love those three-note chords that you showed.

One version that Joe Diorio showed me way back when I was in school was to plane them across the neck, get's a very cool "slippery" sound, and only uses one shape for the ii V I progression

Dm7 xx556x - Dm11 sound
G7 xx889x - G7alt sound
Cmaj7 xx778x - C6 sound

cool.gif
Thanks for reminding me of that one. Which reminds me of this one, possibly stolen from Diorio(?)
Dm7 xx556x
G7 xx889x
C xx 12 12 13 x

I like it because of it's m3/M3 motion (also works as an extended/altered ii-V-I in Eb ... which I did get from Diorio - any ii-V can be sub'd with a ii-V a minor 3rd up).

*Matt, did you go to MI or USC?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
post Jan 11 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #24

Theory Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.394

Another great chord sequence!

I went to McGill in montreal and Joe came for a masterclass so I got to study with him there. Learned a ton in a short amount of time.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017 - 10:34 PM