3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
What Is Your Favorite Effects Pedal?
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 12 2013, 02:01 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Pedals/effects are fun!
Even though I'm a bassist, I have my pedalboard for a live gigs setup which I love fiddling with.
Currently, I'm having Markbass Super Booster, Crybaby Bass Wah, Digitech Distortion, Envelope filter and a Korg tuner pedals in it (too bad I can't fit in more!). Outside the pedalboard I also have a very cool DOD FX25 envelope filter and just recenlty sold a Boss CE-20 Chorus Ensemble.

From all the pedals, I find the Markbass Super Booster pedal the most handy one. It allows me to get a clean boost of signal for solos or certain slap passages. It also has 2 filters from Markbass amps built in - they allow me to get the awesome "scooped mids" slap bass sound very easily (these controls on amps are often labeled as "enhance" or "shape"). Both controls are footswitcahble independently (boost and shape filter). To top it off - it has an excellent DI out which I use for live sound by going directly to PA from the pedalboard. I also use this DI out for studio recording as it sounds really cool.

The craziest pedal I have? DOD FX25 - pure vintage fun! smile.gif
Pedal which I use the least - Crybaby bass wah. It does get a spot in a few songs and on every "song outro band buildup effects crazy shred" thing we do on the very last note of the song smile.gif

Which effects do you use?
Which ones are your favorite ones?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 12 2013, 08:37 AM
GMC:er
Even though you are a Bassist? No no my friend... You are Bogdan, a kick arse Bassist. You may need to edit your post with this so people can recognize properly with whom they are addressing. smile.gif

You know... I stopped playing for years and got rid of almost all of my equipment as I thought I was done... but I kept my Ibanez screamer just in case cause I knew if I ever played again, then I would want the tone that I get from that pedal pushing whatever amp and guitar I may end up with.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mroberts70: Jan 12 2013, 08:41 AM

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 12 2013, 03:14 PM
By far this one is my favorite...

I love that there is no On/Off button, and also when you just barely step on it, it gives a hint of boost and great sustain. I use that feature with my tremolo religiously. Other effects are staples too, chorus, phaser, and sonic maximizer, but if I could only have one, it would be the Morley.

MRoberts, your story is much like mine about quitting and selling off stuff.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 12 2013, 03:15 PM

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 12 2013, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 12 2013, 02:14 PM) *

I love that there is no On/Off button, and also when you just barely step on it, it gives a hint of boost and great sustain. I use that feature with my tremolo religiously. Other effects are staples too, chorus, phaser, and sonic maximizer, but if I could only have one, it would be the Morley.

Yes unfortunately ... I wish I still had it all really. There was no gain in selling it, I didn't need the money that badly that I couldn't have kept my gear, but I really though I was done... however I kept the Ibanez pedal... hmm.

Hey, were practically neighbors...lol I'm in WV. Nice to meet you!

-Mark

Oh, and I'd like to hear that Bad Horsie... that looks interesting indeed.

This post has been edited by mroberts70: Jan 12 2013, 06:55 PM

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 12 2013, 11:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 12 2013, 10:14 AM) *

I was actually going to post this same pedal (well, the Bad Horsie 2), then I scrolled down and saw this biggrin.gif I love this pedal. Its got a wide sweep, and the tone is very smooth and vocal like. Plus the operation of it excellent - no switches or pots to wear out.

Another favorite pedal of mine is the MXR Carbon Copy that I won from a GMC competition a couple of years ago. The delay has a very rich tone, and its simple to use.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2013, 02:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 12 2013, 11:14 AM) *

This will be my next pedal! smile.gif

Currently I'm using Boss CE-5 chorus ensemble, Boss Distortion, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Line 6 Delay Stompbox and Visual Sound Route 66 Comp & Overdrive. It's simple but effective. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 13 2013, 02:38 AM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 12 2013, 12:54 PM) *
Hey, were practically neighbors...lol I'm in WV. Nice to meet you!

-Mark

Oh, and I'd like to hear that Bad Horsie... that looks interesting indeed.

Hey, nice to meet ya neighbor! I used that pedal in the solo I put in another thread on here, the song is cheesy though, but I will soup it up some more after I finish the one I'm working on now, which I'll use it on too.

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jan 12 2013, 05:39 PM) *
I was actually going to post this same pedal (well, the Bad Horsie 2), then I scrolled down and saw this biggrin.gif I love this pedal. Its got a wide sweep, and the tone is very smooth and vocal like. Plus the operation of it excellent - no switches or pots to wear out.

I've wondered about the Bad Horsie 2, I believe it has a knob on it and cost a bit more than the one I have.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 12 2013, 08:24 PM) *
This will be my next pedal! smile.gif

Awesome Gabriel! Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. It's not bad on price either.

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 13 2013, 03:08 AM
Even though I have an AxeFX II as my main rig, I never lost my pedal addiction! Right now my favorite pedal is the MXR Badass Overdrive. It is FANTASTIC. Everyone needs to try one, it's so fat and creamy... I want to buy one just so I can tone-match it for my AxeFX II and take it with me!

The other one I'm digging is one I've had for a while, the Visual Sound Double Trouble (two of their 808-clones - the Route 808 - in one pedal). Sounds great, very clear and articulate, lots of gain available and an optional bass boost on each channel. The only thing it's missing that would make it perfect is a clean blend.

Oh, that's the other one! The new Sparkle Drive MOD that Voodoo Labs just released. It's got three modes, the old school Sparkle Drive, then two other modes that are based on popular mods people do to their stock Sparkle Drives. Genius really. And the clean blend is awesome, our guitar player uses it in the band I play keys in, and it sounds great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mattfig
Jan 13 2013, 02:46 PM
I'm an OD pedal fanatic...

My fave is my TS808 with keeley mods including interchangeable chips...
For overall value and tone: Guitar Fetish Greenie (TS808-like, built solid, metal casing, true bypass) at around 55 bucks...
Also love:
Fulltone OCD (pricey but awesome)
Digitech Bad Monkey (with the c5 mod)

For overall effects I use a Boss GT-10 unit which has some wonderful FX..

+1 on the Bad Horsie

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 13 2013, 05:28 PM
Overall usefulness that I couldn't live without - a Volume Pedal! I'm using a modded Ernie Ball right now (thru-tone fx http://www.thru-tone.com/ ) in lieu of finding the proper replacement pot for my mid 80s Goodrich 120.

Second to a Vol Pdl it would have to be Delay. Analog, digital - I don't care. I need some 'sauce' (even when I play straight ahead jazz - 1 repeat low in the mix). Been digging on a TC 'flashback' lately. Love Maxon AD-80 for analog.

Thirdly, I too am an OD addict. Barber 'Gain Changer' and Maxon 'VOP-9' for now. But really, I can find useful most everything I've tried. MXR 'badass78' is a great overdrive! It's on the list.

*Push comes to shove, I'd probably pick a phaser over a wah (if I was forced to) and I still love a good chorus pedal

~ You guys that are using the Bad Horsie, was it weird getting used to the switchless design? ~

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 13 2013, 05:34 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 16 2013, 09:04 AM
Instructor
I've probably said it before, but, here's my baby that never let me down when I needed a bit of push in the tone smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 17 2013, 02:31 AM
Cool pedal Cosmin!
Can you tell me more about it?
I have a Suhr 'Riot' which is a good one for adding a lot of gain but i'm curious about the Shiba.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 17 2013, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2013, 09:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 17 2013, 01:31 AM) *
Cool pedal Cosmin!
Can you tell me more about it?
I have a Suhr 'Riot' which is a good one for adding a lot of gain but i'm curious about the Shiba.

Hey Ken! Thank you man smile.gif The Shiba is an overdrive pedal which I use on when I need a little bit of meat on my lead tone - it adds a rich creamy quality to my lead tone whenever I need it, so I guess that for me it's actually a booster smile.gif

+Quote Post
ericsabbath
Jan 17 2013, 12:40 PM
been enjoying the maxon TBO9 these days
it's based on the OD820, but it has real tube boost stage
I also have an analogman OD9, a keeley OD808 and a roland licensed oliver SD10 (brazilian boss SD1 clone from late 80's/early 90's)
they all go really well with my modded '73 50w marshall JMP (the amp has lots of preamp gain, but the pedals help to tame the huge low end)

I also love my jerry cantrell crybaby
quite vocal voicing

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 17 2013, 10:27 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 16 2013, 03:04 AM) *
I've probably said it before, but, here's my baby that never let me down when I needed a bit of push in the tone smile.gif

I luv it, subtle yet adds a lot of meat, very round - tube sound with a bite....

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 17 2013, 10:28 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 18 2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Hehe! You should try it yourself - it feels like you're talking and suddenly you accentuate a phrase when you step on it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 18 2013, 02:41 PM
Cool. I guess I have to try one. Blue is my favorite color so ...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2013, 09:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 18 2013, 01:41 PM) *
Cool. I guess I have to try one. Blue is my favorite color so ...

Have you tried the 'Suhr Koko Boost'? Out of what I remember, it has great reviews, but I never had my hands on it smile.gif

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 19 2013, 05:53 PM
Glad to see a few mentions on posts here of being OD pedal addicts - glad it's not just me. A few pedals mentioned that I've not considered to look at too when I next suffer GAS.

My current favourite pedal is an OD one.

Though it's been a long haul to find one that is right for me. I like playing clean or with light OD ... so the usual type of OD pedal doesn't end up doing the job for me even when they've been pricey and high quality. I've tried both a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and a Rothwell Heartbreaker - I've regretably had to give up on both of them.

The pedal that has worked way beyond my expectations is not that high profile and is less than half the price of the Fulltone or Rothwell - it's a Palmer Roots Effects Overdrive.

I think the reason the Palmer has worked for me is that in addition to the usual gain, tone and level controls it also has a blend control. The blend mixes the overdriven signal with the guitars clean signal in whatever proportion I want - works so well on light overdrive and avoids getting that compressed sound that often seems to come out of a pedal where there's no blend. It also allows the dynamics of my playing to come through properly - light and shade of touch in playing mean a lot to me.

But I don't think it would be my favourite if I played high gain.

Also lost track of the number of multi-fx type units I've had. Ended up with keeping a Vox Tonelab LE - old fashioned and built like a tank. No computer connectivity, but so many more parameters that can be changed than the Vox Tonelab ST I had previously. I forget what the multi-fx pedals before the ST were, but I think Zoom and Digitech models were among them.

I used to use a EHX Nano Reverb pedal a lot and liked the sound a great deal but since changing to (cheaper end) Fender amps which have nice reverb I've not needed to use the pedal.

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 19 2013, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (VikingBlues @ Jan 19 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Glad to see a few mentions on posts here of being OD pedal addicts - glad it's not just me. A few pedals mentioned that I've not considered to look at too when I next suffer GAS.

The pedal that has worked way beyond my expectations is not that high profile and is less than half the price of the Fulltone or Rothwell - it's a Palmer Roots Effects Overdrive.

I'm so much of an OD addict I'm actually embarrassed about it! I have guitars as diverse as Les Pauls to Danelectros and ODs react VERY differently with them. But that aside, an OD or any other pedal definitely does not have to be 'expensive' to work for you. A stock DS-1 is great into medium volume/gained out JCM 800. Same with a stock TS9 into a Fender.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:06 PM