2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Petrucci Custom Guitar Pick
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2013, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
John Petrucci has a new custom pick out that I"m gonna try. It's basically a customized JAZZ III with a grip area to prevent slippage and nice pointy, beveled tip. : ) It's also 1.5 MM which is the exact thickness I prefer and am always pimping for picking practice. Here is a look and link.

Anyone tried this yet?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GregH
Jan 18 2013, 04:25 AM
I am currently trying them. In general, I like them but there are a couple of things I don't like about them.
They come to a point but the sides are blunt, just a slight bevel, and I am not fond of the profile as the pick comes to a point. The pick is pretty broad just above the point. However, after I take them to the garage and put the belt sander to them, they work pretty good. I reduce the curve on the side, making it more of a straight line between the widest part of the side and the tip. Then I sharpen the edges a little, like a knife blade. Then they work pretty good (for me). I had been using the Dunlop Sharp 1.14 Tortex and after getting use to the JP Jazz 3s, I don't want to go back to the Tortex any more.
Of course, everybody has different ideas about what they want in a pick.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2013, 03:43 PM
Now your talking!!!! I have to take a boot knife to my CLAYTON 1.5 Acetyl picks in order for them to work/feel right. I like a pretty deep bevel and very sharp point. The only "Stock" picks that are even close, for me, are the VPICK Switchblade Blacks that Vinni custom sharpened for me. The standard VPick Switchblade/unbuffed that he made for me and now sells on his site, are a great choice for learning Alternate PIcking. The smooth sides really help students during the really tough phase of learning AP.

Unbuffed (great training pick)
Attached Image

Buffed/Xtra Sharp Black (great shredding pick)
Attached Image

QUOTE (GregH @ Jan 17 2013, 10:25 PM) *
I am currently trying them. In general, I like them but there are a couple of things I don't like about them.
They come to a point but the sides are blunt, just a slight bevel, and I am not fond of the profile as the pick comes to a point. The pick is pretty broad just above the point. However, after I take them to the garage and put the belt sander to them, they work pretty good. I reduce the curve on the side, making it more of a straight line between the widest part of the side and the tip. Then I sharpen the edges a little, like a knife blade. Then they work pretty good (for me). I had been using the Dunlop Sharp 1.14 Tortex and after getting use to the JP Jazz 3s, I don't want to go back to the Tortex any more.
Of course, everybody has different ideas about what they want in a pick.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2013, 04:36 AM
Instructor
I haven't tried this one but it looks exactly like the perfect pick for me... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
fluff191
Jan 19 2013, 04:16 PM
Are these the size of a regular JazzIII? I use the XL's because the regular Jazz picks are so small!

--------------------
Schecter Guitars | DV Mark Amps | Kemper Profiling Amp | Logic Pro 9

YouTube Channel: Riffs, Beards & Gear

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2013, 07:12 AM
Good question. I"m going to grab a few next time I"m @ Guitar Center and check them out!!

\
QUOTE (fluff191 @ Jan 19 2013, 10:16 AM) *
Are these the size of a regular JazzIII? I use the XL's because the regular Jazz picks are so small!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Hey Todd, can they be ordered anywhere? smile.gif I would be curious to try them on !

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jan 22 2013, 02:28 PM
QUOTE (fluff191 @ Jan 19 2013, 03:16 PM) *

Slightly smaller. Probably less than a mm thinner (i.e. not as wide) than the XL's - I'm used to using XL's and these are fine.

This post has been edited by dark dude: Jan 22 2013, 02:29 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 02:34 AM
There is a BUY NOW link on the Dunlop site, but I"m guessing that within a few weeks, the place you usually buy picks would have them. Here is the link.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 08:23 AM) *
Hey Todd, can they be ordered anywhere? smile.gif I would be curious to try them on !

Here is a vid comparing it to some of the other Jazz III pics.

QUOTE (fluff191 @ Jan 19 2013, 10:16 AM) *

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 24 2013, 03:02 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I will definately look for these picks next time I am at the music store, it seems like an improvement on the Jazz III's I love so much, the only issue I sometimes have with the Jazz III's is the grip.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 03:38 AM
These are slightly larger I gather, which is probably a good thing since most folks say the Jazz III are too small, even the XL!! And the GRIP area is a great idea smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 23 2013, 09:02 PM) *
I will definately look for these picks next time I am at the music store, it seems like an improvement on the Jazz III's I love so much, the only issue I sometimes have with the Jazz III's is the grip.

+Quote Post
GregH
Jan 24 2013, 03:41 AM
I bought mine on ebay. The listing closed on the ones I bought but here is another listing (USA).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-427PJP-John...=item35c2a99644

item number 230899160644

I also saw 3 international listings though all were in the UK.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 06:06 AM
It's a 6 pack of pix, (even though the item shows 1, it's 1 bag of six) it almost looked like 8bux for 1 at first smile.gif

QUOTE (GregH @ Jan 23 2013, 09:41 PM) *
I bought mine on ebay. The listing closed on the ones I bought but here is another listing (USA).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-427PJP-John...=item35c2a99644

item number 230899160644

I also saw 3 international listings though all were in the UK.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2013, 06:08 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 24 2013, 06:56 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 23 2013, 08:06 PM) *
It's a 6 pack of pix, (even though the item shows 1, it's 1 bag of six) it almost looked like 8bux for 1 at first smile.gif

8 bucks for 6 picks still seems a bit steep to me, aren't the regular Jazz III's only around 35 cents each?

+Quote Post
GregH
Jan 24 2013, 07:17 AM
The picks I bought were 36 picks for $19.95 (free shipping) so they were a little cheaper. Those have sold out. Looking around on ebay I found another listing that was a little less expensive ($6.29 for 6, free shipping) but still over a dollar a pick. Regular Jazz 3 picks seem to be cheaper.
They seem like a bargin compaired to the V-picks I just bought ($3.95 each plus $3 shipping). However, I hope not to have to do surgery (with my belt sander) to the V-picks before I can use them.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 24 2013, 07:50 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
36 picks for $19.95 definately sounds more reasonable, thats right around 55 cents each. $3.95 for a pick , or some of the other brands out there that charge even more is just robbery if you ask me, unless they can last a long, long time.
It would be a shame if you had to take your sander to a pick that costs almost 4 bucks each.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 24 2013, 08:43 AM
Instructor
Unfortunately, that link that says 'Buy now' on the Dunlop site is not leading anywhere where you could buy stuff from... so I guess, it's ebay for me as well biggrin.gif Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 24 2013, 08:50 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 23 2013, 10:43 PM) *
Unfortunately, that link that says 'Buy now' on the Dunlop site is not leading anywhere where you could buy stuff from... so I guess, it's ebay for me as well biggrin.gif Thanks guys!

Yeah I got that too Cosmin , it took me to a blank page.

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 25 2013, 04:31 AM
Been meaning to try these! I use the Max-Grip Jazz III's but I could always go for trying a new pick if it's got better grip or something. Why not right? Let us know what you think man! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 29 2013, 07:09 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I went by the local music store today looking for these picks, none in stock but they ordered some for me. $4.36 for a pack of 6 was the listing in the catalog they had there which is also the price they passed on to me. It will probably be a couple weeks before I see them though. In the meantime I decided to grab a Jazz III XL and a Jazz III Ultex. I had never seen the Ultex before, It's kind of a yellow or gold color that is translucent.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:41 PM