> Humbucker Sound In A Single Coil Size
Todd Simpson
post Jan 26 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Been researching the LACE SENSOR pickups and the RED lace has so much output/gain, and so little hum, that it's considered valid humbucker replacement and in guitars like a telecaster or strat, allows for humbucker sound/gain/volume without modding the body cavity. Spiff eh? And they are way cheaper than I thought. This one gets compared to the EMG 81 which is pretty shocking to me to be honest. Anyone tried these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...nsor-red-pickup

Lace Sensor Red: The hottest output of our Sensor Series. Perfect for the bridge position when fat, punch humbucking output is required.

Position: bridge
Resistance: 14.5k
Peak Frequency: 1850
Inductance: 8.12 henries
Music Styles: All Rock, Metal, Aggressive, Punk, and Pop
Think: Jonny Greenwood, Pumpkins, Husker Du, Breeders, Drips

Attached Image

Also, LACE will strap two of these little monsters together and it has a Humbucker form factor with DOUBLE THE GAIN of the red which is already a really HOT pickup. I"d like to try these out.

*Check out the specs, pretty darn crazy. Gain Gain Gain!!!

Red/Red Dually:
Position: bridge
Resistance: 30.5k
Peak frequency: 1450
Inductance: 14.8 henries

Attached Image

I wonder if GMCER FLUFF has used them? He's done wads of spiff pickup reviews. I"ll ask him!!

Todd

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Jan 26 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

I've had a couple of the Strats loaded with Lace Sensors. I had a DX which was loaded with a Blue (Neck), Silver (Middle) and a Red (Bridge) and a Standard which was loaded with 3 x Gold.
I found the Blue to be a higher output than the Golds, the Silver was more like a vintage 60's/70's sound and, as you say, the Red was extra Hot!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 26 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

I had an 'early' Lace HB in an Elite model Strat from the early/mid 80s. I liked it alot.
The best single coil sized HBs in a Strat for me have been the Duncan JB and Little '59.
I don't play modern metal but I do play fairly aggressively with a dist pedal into 50 watt non MV Marshall style amp.

*You can hear cell phone vid of the 'Little 59' here. It starts at 0:25 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el2527gArn0...mxZiMZ0E90-7e-w

--------------------

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
post Jan 26 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17.529

I liked the red and blue the most. Neither to me sounds completely like a bucker even when wired like a bucker. It may be because well they are a single format. to me the best single sized style bucker is the Dimarzio Fast trakk II 18.8k and very full sounding. Hope you enjoy the lace sensor stuff. For me they were just a bit thin sounding for the style i play.

--------------------
http://mhd-pickups.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mhd.pickups

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 31 2013, 04:38 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I don't own any lace sensor pickups to be clear. I just found some info on them during my pickup research which I thought I'd share smile.gif

QUOTE (MHD Pickups @ Jan 26 2013, 03:36 PM) *
I liked the red and blue the most. Neither to me sounds completely like a bucker even when wired like a bucker. It may be because well they are a single format. to me the best single sized style bucker is the Dimarzio Fast trakk II 18.8k and very full sounding. Hope you enjoy the lace sensor stuff. For me they were just a bit thin sounding for the style i play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Feb 3 2013, 07:52 AM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

I hated the SD lil '59 in my Tele. I was much happier with BK pile drivers which are a true single coil but really hot and give humbuckers a run for their money.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Feb 3 2013, 07:52 AM

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 07:53 AM