2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitar Techniques, What's the hardest?
Guitar Techniques
What's the hardest technique for you on the guitar?
Sweep [ 7 ] ** [25.93%]
Alternate picking [ 5 ] ** [18.52%]
Legato [ 1 ] ** [3.70%]
Hybrid picking [ 2 ] ** [7.41%]
Being in time, playing tightly [ 2 ] ** [7.41%]
Tapping [ 1 ] ** [3.70%]
Multi-finger tapping [ 4 ] ** [14.81%]
Economy picking [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Unwanted string noises while playing [ 4 ] ** [14.81%]
Other [ 1 ] ** [3.70%]
Total Votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
Jonas Tamas
post Feb 8 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.594

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 7 2013, 11:49 PM) *
I'll have to say Jonas, your instrumental "Tight Squeeze" is very eloquently done sir... very nice! I really liked Platinum as well... That's as far as I have gotten, but I felt the need to comment/compliment as these are very well done. I'd recommend everyone have a listen to those.... not that my recommendations mean much, but hey I've listened to music for some 40 years now.... I'm an expert. smile.gif

Hi Mark, that's very kind of you, I'm glad you liked it! smile.gif

I hope I can come up with personalized ideas to assist you in the near future.
Feel free to ask me some guitar-related questions!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Feb 8 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #22

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

Sweeping and also hybrid picking...
hybrid picking is the reason why I didn't give most of Cosmin's latest lessons a shot...

just kidding, I'm at it, but this technique is kinda hard for me.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
post Feb 9 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 8 2013, 08:14 AM) *
My biggest problem I think I had with AP was string crossing. I had a habit of either using a economy/sweeping stroke instead of just alternate picking when changing strings. Especially if it required a outside stroke. This habit formed from using just a wrist motion from changing string to string. I realized later when watching one of my videos that when I play fast on one string, like with some rapid tremelo picking, that I used more a forearm motion. It felt like a breakthrough when I realized this. Still it took a while to make the adjustment but I found that I was having a steady improvement from week to week. Still working on it daily. smile.gif

Yes, crossing strings during alternate picking can be a problem. I'm glad that you were able to overcome it.

With this issue, I always suggest using bigger, exaggerated movements for a few days, while you get used to the strict alternate movements. After that, the wrist movements can be set back to 'normal' again.

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 8 2013, 03:29 PM) *
Sweeping and also hybrid picking...
hybrid picking is the reason why I didn't give most of Cosmin's latest lessons a shot...

just kidding, I'm at it, but this technique is kinda hard for me.

Hybrid picking is a really complex technique. I'm practicing it a lot, playing licks by Brett Garsed, Tom Quayle, etc.

I have an easy hybrid video exercise on YT, I'll post it soon!

What exactly are your issues with hybrid picking? Is it synchronization or uneven sounding notes? (i.e. picked notes sound louder then hybrid-picked ones)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Feb 10 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #24

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

Hi Jonas!

I practiced it a while yesterday with the intro from Stairway to Heaven...the problem is uneven sounding notes, sync is fine.
Maybe it's because I use heavy gauge strings? (11 to 54)

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
post Feb 10 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 10 2013, 07:30 AM) *
Hi Jonas!

I practiced it a while yesterday with the intro from Stairway to Heaven...the problem is uneven sounding notes, sync is fine.
Maybe it's because I use heavy gauge strings? (11 to 54)

Usually, heavy gauge strings won't cause unevenness during hybrid picking. Most of the time, the strength and the placement of the right hand's middle finger must be adjusted a bit to produce even-sounding notes.

The hybrid picking with the right hand's middle finger must be really strong. Sometimes I say to my students that they should think about their angry boss before the hybrid picking movement:)
Also, the placement is important. Make sure that you don't use the nails. The fleshy part (i.e. the tip) of the middle finger must touch the string.
Third aspect: muting. A little bit of palm muting can be applied, just a very little pressure with the side of the palm around the bridge. That way the notes sound more separated, they are more distinguishable.

Do you have any recordings (audio or video) with hybrid picking? When I see it, then hopefully I can give you more specific advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 07:03 AM