Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Writing / Improvising Solos
r1ch4rdh
post Jun 25 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.499

I cant write decent solos! Iv got a mind full of all kinds of licks and techniques fast and slow, but i can put it all together into a good solo. When im improvising or whatever all my solos sound disjointed and frankly quite naff.

Can anyone help me?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jun 25 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (r1ch4rdh @ Jun 25 2007, 05:09 PM) *
I cant write decent solos! Iv got a mind full of all kinds of licks and techniques fast and slow, but i can put it all together into a good solo. When im improvising or whatever all my solos sound disjointed and frankly quite naff.

Can anyone help me?

It takes a lot of practice to be able to improvise a great solo there and then - until you get there you could try writing in a couple of different ways:

1. Get the chord sequence down in a backing track, spend hours and hours improvising over it. When you are realy comfortable with the sequence, start focusing on the best bits. Every time you play a lick you like, remember it, or record it. Eventually you will have built a solo.

2. As an alternative, try and figure out the solo in your head first. Not having a guitar in your hands forces you to think it through a little more, and prevents you from playing any old notes to keep up with the song.

3. Maybe use a combination of the above.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 11:36 AM