Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help With Pickups., Humbuckers?
Robin
post Jun 26 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.061

I currently have these so called "Mini humbuckers" on my Gibson Explorer, its just standard stuff that was on the guitar when I bought it. I would like to have a "fatter" and "rounder" sound, something that fit to both blues and metal. My guitar sound a bit noisy with distortion and when playing chords not all tones sounds that well.
I'm currently borrowing a guitar from a friend of my dad, it got 2 humbuckers, no idea what type or anything, I dont even know what guitar it is, but that guitar sounds reaaaally awesome, works well with chords and everything, and it got a really nice sound in general. And theres no "buzz" from the amp when using distortion.
Humbuckers got cleaner sound than "regular" pickups, am I right? I've tried both my explorer and my dads fender stratocaster, they both make alot of buzz when using distortion, the guitar with humbuckers that I'm borrowing dont.

So anyway, I look at myself as a blues player, and I also play in a black metal band, so I would like something that works well for both those things, I guess humbuckers fit very well for this? I'm really clueless so I need help from the gear experts smile.gif

I've heard about Dimebuckers, and I actually started listening to Pantera today biggrin.gif Maybe thats something for me?
(Price doesnt really matter).

Edit: Just one more thing, should I have 2 of the same humbuckers? Oh and, I also want to be able to play with clean sound.

I hope someone can help a clueless newb! smile.gif
Thanks.

This post has been edited by Robin: Jun 26 2007, 01:51 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jun 26 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.967

Well the Seymour Duncan '59 Vintage is what I got as my Neck Pickup although mine is Reverse Polarity for more versatility... but the sound is right on the money with what you are talking about. Below volume 8 it has crystal clarity and above volume 8 it breaks up cleanly for beautiful vintage blues. I think this would be Exactly what you are looking for.

In my Bridge I have a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus (also a bit custom) and I don't think it will be hot enough for "black metal" stuff. Although I have found that by bringing the tone to the warmest setting and setting the volume to 10 the bridge breaks up well and creates a very thick mid-range distortion.

I would recommend a Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker for the Bridge pickup because the thing is suppose to scream! And guess what!? The '59 / Dimebucker combo is exactly what Dimebag used while in Pantera. Hope that helps!

P.S. - Don't use two of the same buckers... you will not get the versatility you were just describing.

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Jun 26 2007, 05:14 AM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jun 26 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz or JB/59' are common setups.
Common = Good since you know the combination will sound good :-)

I tried to match DiMarzion Super Distortion with a Breed Neck pu to get the best from two worlds but regretfully their character were soooo wide apart it just sounded wrong. So not everything works.

If you try and look for artists with your sound to find out what pu's they are using. For one thing, they surely have different equipment but it should give an idea.

Since you want to be able to play the blues I'd go for a blues setup of pu's and leave the Pantera sound to a good distortion pedal. I'm not sure you can find perfection in both these worlds but have to go for eather one full out of compromise either way. Of course you CAN keep on pu in the neck position for Blues and one in the bridge position for black metal. But that would limit you to two good sounds really, one switch position for each style...
And I just write as it comes out of my head so this is thinking out loud since I don't have a good answer to how to combine the two. As I said, go for blues pu's and kick in a good distortion pedal for the death.

DiMarzio Breeds, Evolution or Evo2's? (Available as neck and bridge)
Seymour Duncal JB and 59' or JB and Jazz

Or this set that I think is really cool
Moore Green

There are other neat pickups on his homepage.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 26 2007, 09:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
post Jun 26 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #4

Thank you so very much both of you!

Another question. When you change pickups, do you have to change/fix something with the volume knobs or anywhere else inside the guitar?

Oh, and just to make sure, Neck pickup is whats closest to the neck, and bridge pickup is closest to the bridge? laugh.gif biggrin.gif

I will probably ask alot more questions later, thanks again!

What pickups are usually on Les Pauls? I guess the different models got different pickups, but what about the expensive ones? laugh.gif I come to think about that Darkthrone used a Les Paul on their latest album and many blues artists play Les Paul aswell. Maybe the pickups isnt enough to get my guitar sound like a Les Paul?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jun 26 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 26 2007, 01:20 PM) *
Thank you so very much both of you!

Another question. When you change pickups, do you have to change/fix something with the volume knobs or anywhere else inside the guitar?

You have to solder inside. And the "knobs" or pots should be the right ones, likely 500k for your new humbuckers. It says 500, 250, 25 or something on them so read what you have.

QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 26 2007, 01:20 PM) *
Oh, and just to make sure, Neck pickup is whats closest to the neck, and bridge pickup is closest to the bridge? laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Yes, that's right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jun 26 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.967

You MAY want to change your switch for different switching options but otherwise you should be fine. I'm not too sure about Les Pauls but I know alot of players like the Gibson P.A.F. Pups on theirs.

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Robin
post Jun 26 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #7

Thank you very much, both of you.

So, I'm a bit confused now from all the options here. Wich neck pickup and wich bridge pickup do you guys think I should I get? As I said, price doesnt matter, I want the best! laugh.gif
(Btw when it comes to blackmetal I dont need any special sound, I dont really care, aslong as it sounds good with distortion and not too much "buzz" from the amp with distortion on. And I need to be able to play clean aswell) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jun 26 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 26 2007, 04:34 PM) *
So, I'm a bit confused now from all the options here. Wich neck pickup and wich bridge pickup do you guys think I should I get? As I said, price doesnt matter, I want the best! laugh.gif

I don't know what you should get but I know I want these in my LP smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
post Jun 26 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 26 2007, 04:04 PM) *
I don't know what you should get but I know I want these in my LP smile.gif

Mkay, kewl. I'll read some reviews on those now smile.gif (If I find any)

Again, thank you very much!

Ouch! They are pricy smile.gif Since I dont live in the US I got to pay 20 extra dollars >_> 345 Dollar/4100NOK ohmy.gif

Ah well, I've been working this summer, I got the money for it smile.gif

Btw, putting those on a gibson explorer shouldnt be a problem?

This post has been edited by Robin: Jun 26 2007, 07:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 11:46 PM