> Hi All
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 27 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Hi from sunny Espania. I've been playing on and off for nearly 25 years though I took 10 years off when my daughter was born and had to complete my philosophy doctorate. Just started playing again when we moved to Spain and realised how sloppy my left hand control was.

In to fusion - particularly Allan Holdsworth - more than shredding (but open minded about it) so control, speed, phrasing, clarity are a big thing and so need to sort my chops out smile.gif .

Sure I'm going tp be spending hours on here (sadly for my family - then again maybe they'll prefer to see less of me biggrin.gif ).

Best,
T

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jun 27 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 27 2007, 08:34 AM) *
Hi from sunny Espania. I've been playing on and off for nearly 25 years though I took 10 years off when my daughter was born and had to complete my philosophy doctorate. Just started playing again when we moved to Spain and realised how sloppy my left hand control was.

In to fusion - particularly Allan Holdsworth - more than shredding (but open minded about it) so control, speed, phrasing, clarity are a big thing and so need to sort my chops out smile.gif .

Sure I'm going tp be spending hours on here (sadly for my family - then again maybe they'll prefer to see less of me biggrin.gif ).

Best,
T

Hey there, and welcome!

We're not all shredders on this site - and I have enourmous respect for Allan! One thing I have learned, is that technique-wise, shredding is incredibly demanding. Once you start to master elements of it, it will for sure improve all of your playing, so it is worth learning it just for that reason! But there is planty of other stuff on the site as well - enjoy!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
guitargod
post Jun 27 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.485

welcome to GMC!!! just curious what job do u actually do when u study philosophy?

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 27 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Thanks for the welcome guys - looking forward to many happy hours on here!

Absolutely right Andy about the technical/technique demanded by shredding - one reason why I joined to improve mine smile.gif . (And it needs improving ohmy.gif .) Enjoying your theory forum v much btw.

Guitargod - when not playing guitar I work part time as a University lecturer/researcher and academic editor and writer. Badly paid but nearly keeps the wolf from the door.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
AIB234
post Jun 27 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.303

Great intro Tony!

Welcome!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 28 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Thanks AIB - glad to be part of the comunity biggrin.gif .

Cheers,
T

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jul 2 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #7

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Welcome Tonymiro,

Holdsworth is also my absolute favorite - glad you found your way! smile.gif

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
post Jul 2 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.796

Hello Tony,

Welcome to GMC its a great place.

Holdsworth is from a different planet, and is a phenomenal and extremely original player.

Anyhows, enjoy your stay here! smile.gif

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 3 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Thanks Kris and Ben. If I ever get even close to as good as Holdsworth I'll be an extremely happy bunny!
Phenomenal technique and musicality. (Been a fan since I first heard him when he was with UK. I'd recommend In the dead of night/by the light of day/presto vivace to anyone in to neo-classical...)

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 02:33 PM