Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Video Lighting, advice on lighting
Larry F
post Apr 10 2013, 07:23 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.592

This probably isn't the best place to post on this, but it is starting to feel like home already here. What is a good way to approach lighting for a video? Multiple sources, colors, filters, diffusers? I have several Zoom Q3 HD cameras (long story) and good mics, interface, software for sound. I also have Final Cut Lite. I've been posted YouTube videos for a long time, but want to upgrade the video quality.

If the mods want to move this to a more appropriate forum, that would be great. I'm still learning my way around here. And, by the way, very, very impressive forum here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 10 2013, 08:05 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey buddy!

I for one am using two Elinchrom studio lights - 300 W having a reflection umbrella attached and another one having 650 W, having a diffusion umbrella.

I usually position the big one in front-left and the small one left to shed some light on the neck of the guitar. They are quite expensive tho - I payed about 1000 dollars 2 years ago, but they will serve me a long time from now so, it is a good investment. Here's a little movie that shows a bit more about my setup:

Hope this helps wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Larry F
post Apr 10 2013, 08:47 AM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.592

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 10 2013, 07:05 AM) *
Hey buddy!

I for one am using two Elinchrom studio lights - 300 W having a reflection umbrella attached and another one having 650 W, having a diffusion umbrella.

I usually position the big one in front-left and the small one left to shed some light on the neck of the guitar. They are quite expensive tho - I payed about 1000 dollars 2 years ago, but they will serve me a long time from now so, it is a good investment. Here's a little movie that shows a bit more about my setup:

Hope this helps wink.gif

Many, many thanks. This is something I could do with some university grant money. Now that I am thinking about grant money, about which I will hear in a month, what do you recommend for cameras? I would like to upgrade from the Zooms, which are very good, especially the audio. As I mentioned above, I will handle the audio with gear that I already have

The forum mods have graciously let my use a link in my signature to an Amazon page for a book of 2,000 blues licks that I have written. I would like to post some of these from time to time, and include a video of me playing.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 10 2013, 09:05 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Mate, if you have the cash, go for a DSLR photo camera - Cannon or Nikon - it will provide the best quality. But it will need time and lens, so more money invested and some troublesome tries in making things work. I benefit from the assistance of a photographer friend that knows his stuff with a DSLR gear. Otherwise, an HD video cam should do the trick - not THAT expensive and much easier to work with smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Apr 12 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Yeah...I just bought Canon 600D and finally it's a good tool to work with. As for lightening two soursec are best way cause one in front even with dufussion can make same damage as camera build-in flash - I mean the over-lightened spots...especially on the face. With two sources You can set it up left and right - then everything is lightened more equally. Also...power of lights is very important so You don't have to use high ISO values which can make a lot of noise - especially on the dark colors spaces.

I use both of those. At first I had only one...but I had to insrease mid colors brigthness in editor to get more solid background (not too contrasted).

I use two set like this one:
http://fripers.pl/product_info.php/info/p4...-FreePower.html

Now my videos look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9O6VqNcZ94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vVMNbLkLWA

Next lesson will also be in much better quality.

The only problem is the gamma and contrast interference from codec while rendering the video + second interference by YT player itself...that sucks...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 12 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

On a side note from the lighting discussion - I really enjoyed your composition in the second vid biggrin.gif Very nice vibes man!

The first music video that my band has shot, was filmed with a Canon 600D:

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2017 - 11:21 PM