> What Sort Of A Pedalboard Do You Use?
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 26 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Since Gabe started a thread about pedals in the pedalboard and the thread went into the direction of power supplying, I thought it would be interesting to bring a related topic to the round table of the Knights of GMC smile.gif

I am very happy with my pedalboard - the SKB PS 55 and I have been using mine since 2009. It has done its job very well but the only thing which makes me a bit reluctant into stating that it's perfect is the actual... lack of space smile.gif I won't be able to fit a whammy and wah pedal in it, with all the stuff that I have right now unfortunately and I am searching for solutions.

Here's how the unit looks like from the perspective of input/output and power supplying possibilities:

Here's the whole thing - pedalboard and protection case (after all the SKB guys are well known for their cases)

Now, what do you guys use and why?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 26 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

That's a very cool pedalboard Cosmin! The problem as you said is the space, but maybe you could add an extra small pedalboard just for Whammy and Wah Wah. I will share the link to my thread where I shoe what I'm using:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry642124

It's bigger, but there is not space for Whammy... and regarding power supply, I'm using Joyo Multi power.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 26 2013, 04:26 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Since I rarely need to use more than 5 or 6 pedals I make my own.
You can see under the blue chorus pedal that there's a little 'riser' (small block of wood).
I try to find old metal camera cases or Samsonite 'brief' cases, pull the inside dividers out and put the board inside.

Attached Image

This one's in the camera case. It's also two tiered. The power supply is under the back tier.

Attached Image

This is in the Samsonite briefcase (which was my fathers and I've been using it since the late 70s).
Powered by a 1-spot (which can be noisy) and some batterys.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 26 2013, 04:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Apr 26 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

Don't use a lot of pedals I can only think of one more pedal I want to add. I use the pt1 pedaltrain. Everything sets up nice and clean.and these come in a wide variety of sizes and you can mount a power supply underneath

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 27 2013, 01:04 AM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Apr 26 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 26 2013, 03:26 PM) *
Since I rarely need to use more than 5 or 6 pedals I make my own.
You can see under the blue chorus pedal that there's a little 'riser' (small block of wood).
I try to find old metal camera cases or Samsonite 'brief' cases, pull the inside dividers out and put the board inside.

Attached Image

This one's in the camera case. It's also two tiered. The power supply is under the back tier.

Attached Image

This is in the Samsonite briefcase (which was my fathers and I've been using it since the late 70s).
Powered by a 1-spot (which can be noisy) and some batterys.

Attached Image

looks clean nice work klasaine

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Apr 26 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 26 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Since Gabe started a thread about pedals in the pedalboard and the thread went into the direction of power supplying, I thought it would be interesting to bring a related topic to the round table of the Knights of GMC smile.gif

I am very happy with my pedalboard - the SKB PS 55 and I have been using mine since 2009. It has done its job very well but the only thing which makes me a bit reluctant into stating that it's perfect is the actual... lack of space smile.gif I won't be able to fit a whammy and wah pedal in it, with all the stuff that I have right now unfortunately and I am searching for solutions.

Here's how the unit looks like from the perspective of input/output and power supplying possibilities:

Here's the whole thing - pedalboard and protection case (after all the SKB guys are well known for their cases)

Now, what do you guys use and why?

Look like You've stolen the gear from Mario Bros...Cosmin biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 27 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I use one of these smile.gif
Attached Image

As I recently got a GSP1101 off ebay to try. This foot pedal connects using ethernet/cat 5 cable and requires no external battery or power supply which is really handy. It comes with a 25 foot ethernet cable which is plenty long and provides power.

You can get the controller and rack unit for about $500-$600 on Ebay these days since it's now a "retro" thing given that AXE EFFECTS has taken over smile.gif I like the AXE EFFECTS units a TON but I like Ancient Digitech stuff too smile.gif I still have my GNX3 and I swear it honestly sounds better than the GSP1101 and has better signal/fx routing. But it does lag between patches and requires a wall wart so....upgrades!!!

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 27 2013, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2013, 12:41 PM) *
That's a very cool pedalboard Cosmin! The problem as you said is the space, but maybe you could add an extra small pedalboard just for Whammy and Wah Wah. I will share the link to my thread where I shoe what I'm using:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry642124

It's bigger, but there is not space for Whammy... and regarding power supply, I'm using Joyo Multi power.

Eh.. more stuff to carry around biggrin.gif I just wanna compress everything in such a way that they will fit inside one pedalboard and I tried all sorts of configurations, not to mention the fact that I also have the vocal effects processor which takes up a lot of space, pretty much half the pedalboard space, come to think of it.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 26 2013, 10:03 PM) *
Look like You've stolen the gear from Mario Bros...Cosmin biggrin.gif

What do you mean mate? laugh.gif Is it too colorful?

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 26 2013, 07:33 PM) *
Don't use a lot of pedals I can only think of one more pedal I want to add. I use the pt1 pedaltrain. Everything sets up nice and clean.and these come in a wide variety of sizes and you can mount a power supply underneath

The Pedaltrain cases look very elegant. I have a friend owning one just like yours smile.gif I also see that the MXR Phase 90 is a piece that everybody has.

Have you ever used it as an autowah?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Apr 27 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #9

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 27 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 27 2013, 05:19 AM) *
Eh.. more stuff to carry around biggrin.gif I just wanna compress everything in such a way that they will fit inside one pedalboard and I tried all sorts of configurations, not to mention the fact that I also have the vocal effects processor which takes up a lot of space, pretty much half the pedalboard space, come to think of it.

yeah, that's a lot mate. Maybe Todd's solution could go for you. Being able to control everything with one controller.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 28 2013, 06:59 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Could be - I had the MIDI controller on my mind for some time, but I never had the occasion to see one in action. I have to try it first and see how it feels.

Do you feel like 'dancing' too much on stage when changing effects/ channels?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 28 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 28 2013, 02:59 AM) *
Could be - I had the MIDI controller on my mind for some time, but I never had the occasion to see one in action. I have to try it first and see how it feels.

Do you feel like 'dancing' too much on stage when changing effects/ channels?

heheh yeah, curiously I fell down on stage the first time I used my new pedalboard. laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 29 2013, 07:20 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 28 2013, 08:18 PM) *
heheh yeah, curiously I fell down on stage the first time I used my new pedalboard. laugh.gif

laugh.gif aah, so that was the occasion you talked about in a previous thread eh?

Well, that midi controller basically prevents the dancing as far as I know..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 29 2013, 07:47 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Nice smile.gif I dig the metal click stomps and the metal housing and the light up display. My pedal board is actually designed after things just like what you have here. They just tossed a way/volume on top for good measure with the control 2.

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 27 2013, 12:14 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Apr 29 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 17.265

Check out everything this Line 6 Unit can do. I've been very interested in this one myself for a long time:

http://line6.com/m13/sounds.html <-- See breakdown of effects offered

<-- Demonstration

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 29 2013, 10:52 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 30 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #16

Instructor
Group Icon

Looks like it's a very complex piece of machinery... I had the separate delay stomp from Line 6 - The Echo Park and I sold it due to the fact that it needed too much effort to be activated in a live setting. Of course it's not the case here, but still, I have some reminiscent bad feelings biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 30 2013, 03:14 PM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2013, 04:48 AM) *
Looks like it's a very complex piece of machinery... I had the separate delay stomp from Line 6 - The Echo Park and I sold it due to the fact that it needed too much effort to be activated in a live setting. Of course it's not the case here, but still, I have some reminiscent bad feelings biggrin.gif

I'm not 100% comfortable with my Line 6 DL4 and the reason is the same than yours. I don't know why but I don't find it easy to set up.
I just discovered this one, did you know it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Apr 30 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #18

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I use Boss BCB-60 pedalboard and that must be the most useful part of gear I have smile.gif
At first I carried pedals in a bag and I would arrange them on stage but as I started to travel more - it was really down to practicality of getting a pedalboard. It allows me to store all the cables and pedals I would need on stage (and carry it with one hand). Its very quick to setup on stage.

Here is a picture (Markbass Super Booster DI pedal is missing) :

Attached Image

Yeah I know - its been to hell and back! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Spock
post Apr 30 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 17.265

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2013, 03:48 AM) *

Yea, I feel the same way, I've gone the route of programmable effects before only to be disappointed every single time, and not because of the sound, but because of maintaining, tweaking, it's almost like writing code. Stomp boxes are the way to go in my opinion. Wish SKB made a unit just a bit wider.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 30 2013, 03:47 PM

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Apr 30 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #20

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 27 2013, 08:19 AM) *

What do you mean mate? laugh.gif Is it too colorful?

The Pedaltrain cases look very elegant. I have a friend owning one just like yours smile.gif I also see that the MXR Phase 90 is a piece that everybody has.

Have you ever used it as an autowah?

Yea I like the case it has room for cables and keeps the board snug and well protected. The board sets up nicley, seems like its a little more dough than what it's worth cause its just a simple piece of metal but if I ever needed a bigger board I think I'd still stick with pedal train products.
My phase 90 doesn't get used so much these days. I used it mostly when I was practicing solos and improv and trying to come up with new licks from scales. Usually would turn it on and off and experiment with sounds. I'm a fan of van halen so I like to try to get his sound.

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 30 2013, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2017 - 03:11 PM