Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remember, No Stairway!
steve25
post Jun 29 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.626

I'm not so sure and i know exactly what you mean by 'that look' in a music store. And sometimes they just completely ignore you when you walk up to them to ask you something it can be quite rude. I'm not so sure about buying guitars in shops anymore really i mean just to try out maybe i dunno
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Jun 29 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1.080

QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 29 2007, 09:31 AM) *
It's funny how people always play someone's song when they get into a guitar shop. Why not think of your own 4-5 riffs on fly??

Oddly enough, I actually agree with you on this, at least for myself. I'd rather play something that's more of me than someone else's song. Actually, that kinda messes up my practicing since I really don't have much interest learning songs. I'm learning techniques and hand control and stuff like that but working out songs bores the hell out of me. I know at some point I'm going to have to learn to tie the techniques I'm learning into a musical framework before I'll be able to make my own music so eventually I'm going to have to bite the bullet on it.

On the other hand, I understand why one would play the abovementioned songs though. The best way for someone to decide whether they like the feel/sound of a particular piece of equipment is to play something that you're very familiar with. We all have some 'beginner song' that we started out with and have played a billion times so that's as much of an obvious go-to as anything else.

Being a beginner myself, I haven't really ever plugged anything in yet at the local GC. I don't think I'm familiar enough with my gear to be able to evaluate something else yet, so it doesn't really matter what I'd play. When I do get closer to being an informed decision on a guitar or amp, the last thing I'm caring about is what the guys in the guitar shop think. I suck, I don't care and they can kiss my ass.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jun 29 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

I think heres a way to identify GMC members who get big biggrin.gif if yer playin a gig make sure your amp has that sign in the corner biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Slammer
post Jun 29 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.688

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 29 2007, 01:45 AM) *
Thats my dream job biggrin.gif running a guitar shop and just selling guitars amps cd's and clothing, wish me luck boys and when yer all buyin guitars 10 years from now rememeber me smile.gif and ill let GMCers play anything they want smile.gif just not other people:D

I'll take you up on that... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 29 2007, 12:03 PM) *
I think heres a way to identify GMC members who get big biggrin.gif if yer playin a gig make sure your amp has that sign in the corner biggrin.gif

Heh, That would be cool.... if in 10 years or so. Some of the GMCer's make it big.
We'd have GMC alumni!!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jun 29 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #25

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

QUOTE (Slammer @ Jun 29 2007, 10:40 AM) *
I'll take you up on that... biggrin.gif
Heh, That would be cool.... if in 10 years or so. Some of the GMCer's make it big.
We'd have GMC alumni!!

yea that would be great! GMC Notable Alumni: biggrin.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Jun 29 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2.019

I've got the exact same situation with music stores in my town. Theres this awesome place where whether your a beginner or expert they give you good service, theres another OK one, and then the one with crappy service, unless they think your a pro.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
post Jun 29 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1.224

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jun 29 2007, 12:09 PM) *
Where I live there is 3 music stores. One I've never been to, one is modern, one is a bit oldfashioned.

When I bought my kids first guitar we visited the oldfashioned and the modern.
In the modern store there is signs that says "Don't touch! Contact staff before playing". In this store kids look very impressed, with big eyes, on all the flashy stuff. The staff gives attention to the "musician looking" adults. Beginners get "the look" and something like "I'll be with you in a minute! I'll just finish these seven calls to order more flashy stuff you never will buy from me!"
My kid looked uncomfortable and strummed a few chords, then we left.

In the old style shop he picked up a guitar, a guy came up and said "Yes, that's right. Try it. Do you like that one" and my kid answered "I'm not sure. It looks nice. I cant think of anything to play". The guy says "Hehe, play anything you like. Hell, play Smoke on the Water. I'm sure you know that one". And my kid relaxes and rips of a perfect "Sweet Child"-intro.
The other day I was trying Fenders there and three kids where running around, playing, in the store. I asked the owner if he wasn't afraid they would damage anything. He just said "No, they are here now and then. Sometimes they try some guitars. The'll be back and by something when they are older".

Which store do you think got the money for our next three guitars?

I have the exact same thing here. At the incredibly flashy store they have those stupid signs that tell you to to stay as far away as possible of the guitars.
They also have an incredibly arrogant staff.
And then there's the smaller older store with friendly employers that are happy to lend a helping hand.

+Quote Post
Robin
post Jun 29 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1.061

Haha, man I cant believe how they can possibly want to sell anything if they act like that. I've been in 1 really big guitar store once, seemed pretty good actually. People were trying guitars if they wanted to.

Where I live we only got two small ones, both are REALLY nice people. Including their wifes that also work there sometimes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jun 30 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

What i hate about london is that there is 1 big music store "John Bellones which is absolutly great.. best selection in town and great service because everyone there really wants to be there. but all the other music stores are Bellaire musics which are not even guitar stores.. just music stores that carry guitars, most of the staff have no clue sad.gif and the last store.. Walters which is really arrogant, they sell alot of accustics and pianos and expensive stuff and they have a practice room for electric guitars but no service at all !:( 1 good, 1 bad, 4 bellaires biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Smikey2006: Jun 30 2007, 05:14 AM

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
post Jul 1 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1.620

that sign is from one of the biggest music stores in UK or something. i remember reading it on the BBC a long time ago.

anyway, i agree with billie. people should be able to play whatever they want, with whatever they want. if they don't, it just disattracts customers. i liked your story as well. the local music store here is like "the modern" type. i don't like it at all. not being able to play anything + prices being 25-50% more then street = bad plan.

This post has been edited by Asphyxia Feeling: Jul 1 2007, 10:34 PM

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
jammer91
post Jul 2 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2.041

I find those songs annoying anyways.... Can i play blink-182 songs? tongue.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
post Jul 2 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1.835

I agree 100% with blindwillie. "Smoke On The Water" is a lot better than the bullshit I put up with at my work haha

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
post Jul 3 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1.632

But i love Stairway.... sad.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 07:52 AM