Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists! How Many Of These Rules Are You Breaking?
Cosmin Lupu
post May 9 2013, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

I found this very interesting poster today and thought it might be a good reminder of what NOT to do, if you want to stay on the path where your mindset is unaltered and you can focus on the important things needed so much when you are trying to make it out there, as an artist.

How many of these rules have you broken and in what situations?

Cosmin

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 9 2013, 10:00 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

I am guilty of #9 ... quite a bit.
But sometimes you gotta eat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post May 9 2013, 10:19 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.085

As an artist, who lives and earns entirely of music, I have to say this ( lines 6 and 9):
Ideals are great, but real life is real life. Sometimes in your life, you have to swallow some s*** if you think to survive. Sadly, but that's the naked truth.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post May 9 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ May 9 2013, 10:19 AM) *
As an artist, who lives and earns entirely of music, I have to say this ( lines 6 and 9):
Ideals are great, but real life is real life. Sometimes in your life, you have to swallow some s*** if you think to survive. Sadly, but that's the naked truth.

did you just give us a little insight between you and Kris dry.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
post May 9 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15.024

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 9 2013, 12:25 PM) *

Well, u think u'll deserve respond to that one? cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post May 9 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 9 2013, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ May 9 2013, 02:28 PM) *
Well, u think u'll deserve respond to that one? cool.gif

Sounds that way ?!?.. oh my.. ohmy.gif !...Nice try, but you failed wink.gif... Watch out for the next step, boy biggrin.gif
Luckily, I have some principles that are sacred to me....as line 10, for example !

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 9 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17.304

My initial response was a big YES to #9.
I'll also add yes #6. (In my case and I'm in sure in Sinisa's case - it's not all the time)

*The caveat is I'm far from miserable and in fact I regularly engage in these two for the sole purpose that it 'affords' me (literally) the opportunity to do my art w/o having to worry about the fact that it may pay little or nothing.
It definitely takes a certain personality type to do that. And I'll admit I whore myself out all the time - I'm OK with that. Even a bad day with guitar in hand - is a good day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
post May 9 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

#10. I practice hours everyday. Something's I have problems with and I just repeat it over and over hoping it will click. Like almost obsessing over mistakes

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 9 2013, 07:31 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 9 2013, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I'm with Sinisa about this. There are very important items there in the list to have in mind and re-check from time to time. When you dedicate your life to music, and music is not only your passion, and it also becomes your job, points 6 and 9 use to appear, but these ones should not be your priority....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post May 9 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

@klasaine
Your opinion clearly explains the whole story, I support it, bravo wink.gif

@Gabriel
Also proper reasoning, balance is the most important thing !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 10 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Ah, good old points 6 and 9 smile.gif

Well, I will only answer with a quote from Winston Churchill - 'When doing your best is not enough, you have to do what's necessary' Unfortunately, life can prepare a series of compromises, but you have to choose the ones that are least harmful and make sure you are still happy with who you are and what you do. A life void of happiness is a life lost.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post May 13 2013, 11:57 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Yep...life is life and sometimes it's better to play something that is not 100% Your taste and get money for this rather than doing some other job. Funny example....If You work at the factory and need to spend 3000$ on a guitar how would You explain to Your wife that's this is needed sooo much? biggrin.gif Now...when You play and make living out of guitar You just say..."Honey...I need to buy a new guitar cause it will make money for the new fridge...it's my working tool" biggrin.gif

Going aside with the jokes...

Yes...that's what playing is about...sometimes You make come true Your own fantasies and sometimes You help people to support theirs with Your playing. Some of us have enough luck to be in the right place and the right time + to play descently and make money from only the things the like to do. Let's take a Zakk Wylde for an example...guy worked on the gas station, went to a casting and was chosen. Now he can do whatever he likes but...But he belongs to a little part of maaany talented players all over the world smile.gif He had skillsm, image and was lucky smile.gif

I wish everyone of us to be be at this point someday smile.gif But this could happen or no...and the since then it just a time to do Your job! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post May 14 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 14 2013, 12:57 AM) *
Yep...life is life and sometimes it's better to play something that is not 100% Your taste and get money for this rather than doing some other job. Funny example....If You work at the factory and need to spend 3000$ on a guitar how would You explain to Your wife that's this is needed sooo much? biggrin.gif Now...when You play and make living out of guitar You just say..."Honey...I need to buy a new guitar cause it will make money for the new fridge...it's my working tool" biggrin.gif

Ah, another one who is afraid of his wife/ girl .. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

A few years ago, we're seriously wanted to create a special website dedicated to all musicians wife's !
Each item in the catalog would cost $50. Guitar, amplifier, mixer... If she start to grumble just show her "the proof" !! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 14 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Good point Darius - well, I guess that it's never easy to be a musician wherever you live. All I could hear around me at some point in my life, were people telling me to get a job. Unfortunately for them, most of them are not happy and if you take their job away, they won't have a darn clue on what to do from that point on.

I think it is our duty as human beings living in a historical period where changes may occur at a flick of the switch, to be ready for almost anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 01:49 AM