How To Build Minor 6 Chords, Learn How to Build m6 Chords
The Professor
May 10 2013, 10:22 AM
Theory Instructor
How to Build Minor 6th Chords

In today’s theory lesson we’ll be looking at how you build m6 chords, as well as 8 commonly used fingerings for these chords that you can take into the practice and bring into your playing and songwriting.

The m6 chord comes from the Ionian mode, as it uses the 1st, b3rd, 5th and 6th notes of the aeolian mode in it’s construction.

Here is how you would build a Cm6 chord from the C aeolian mode.

Notice how the numbers of the C aeolian mode are used to spell the numbers of the Cm6 chord, 1-b3-5-6, as this is the interval pattern needed to build any m6 chord, regardless of key.

Attached Image

So, the m6 chord is built by taking the Root, b3rd, 5th and 6th of the related Aeolian Mode.

Test Your Theory Knowledge

To help get this formula under your fingers and into your theory chops, you can write out all 12 different m6 chords, such as C Eb G A for Cm6, and post them in the comments section of this thread.

I’ll be glad to check your work and help with any questions you have regarding this lesson on building m6 chords.

m6 Chord Shapes

To keep things practical as well as theoretical, here are 8 different shapes for Cm6 that you can take into your guitar playing.

Each of these shapes is commonly used and if you have even a few of them under your fingers will allow you to easily bring these sounds into your playing regardless of the style or musical situation.

Attached Image

Check out m6 chords from both a construction and practical application.

These chords will pop up from time to time, or a lot if you play blues, jazz or fusion, and so it’s a good idea to have a mental and physical understanding of these common chords.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Professor: May 18 2013, 10:09 AM

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:39 AM