3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Owning Multiple Guitars, Is it worth it?
sb81
post Jun 30 2007, 03:25 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.652

Okay, guess I'll go try the guitar, and possibly buy it if I like it. Just hope I don't lose interest in my beloved Ibanez.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yell03
post Jun 30 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1.216

I have cut down to 6 guitars, but they are all different in sound and playability.

My Gibson Flying V is light and so nice to play standing up, plus it has a great hard rock sound.

My ESP is a bit tiresome to play stanging up, it is neck heavy, but the EMGs have a nice metal sound.

My Fender Showmaster is gorgeous in Cherry Sunburst and the Seymour Duncans scream, plus the split coil pick-ups get any sounds from Strat single coil to Humbucker.

My Ibanez RGA121 has a Prestige neck that is just so nice to play, but the pick-ups are not as hot as some of my other guitars.

My Gibson Les Paul sounds and plays amazing, but it is a heavy beast of a guitar.

Lastly, my $99 Dean Vendetta XM has a super fast neck and is great for traveling where I won't worry if something happens to it.

I am loyal to my wife, but I swap my guitars often.
In fact I recently sold my Fender 60th Strat, 3 of my Acoustics, and my ESP EC-400.

I keep wanting to sell one to recover the cost of my new Flying V, but they are all so nice I can't decide on which one to part with.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jun 30 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 29 2007, 07:34 PM) *
I 2nd that. I have 4 different guitars. I mostly just stick with my Ibanez, and my weak Johnson Acoustic. But thats because my other 2 guitars really do suck!!! If you want to a complete guitarist. You need more than 1 guitar. About 7 or so laugh.gif. Its so you can play blues on one guitar. heavy metal on another. Its just another way to give a variety of playability. Because who would really want to play Heavy metal on an acoustic?? It just wouldnt sound right. Each guitar has its own sound. Might be close to another, but it has its own sound, and feel to it!!!

You should have one guitar for each pet. I have 8 cats and a dog. 7 electrics, a Martin, and a Dobro. Fish don't count. There is also an Opossum that comes around and steals cat food. He don't count either. Also a slug that comes around and steals cat food, he don't count. Also a little spider that i let live in the corner of my bathroom. he don't don't count. just the cats and dogs. if i had a ferret it would count, then i would need another guitar. a turtle, no it would not count. i have a system.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jun 30 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

I think that owning multiple guitars its a luxury but not nessisarily a nessesity. I have a few and i like having them, ( 1 goes downstairs, 1 in the family room, 1 in the jammin room, 1 in the bedroom) allows me to pick up a guitar basically where ever i am without having to grab it, it also lets me have multiple tunings going at once, right now i have 2 standard, D minor and Dropped C. Having multiples is also great for gigging.. never gig without backup unless your guitar is a tank or you have a short set. Just make sure you like the guitar you are buying as your second. if you have a guitar you don't like then what was the point of buying it smile.gif... even though ive done that...*angry grumbling*..stupid squire can burn in **** *more angry grumbling*.. at least it was cheap smile.gif.. overall yes having multiple guitars is worth it.. but not nessisary

Ps: I love your system Fkalich biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Smikey2006: Jun 30 2007, 04:35 AM

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
sb81
post Jun 30 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 30 2007, 04:28 AM) *
You should have one guitar for each pet. I have 8 cats and a dog. 7 electrics, a Martin, and a Dobro. Fish don't count. There is also an Opossum that comes around and steals cat food. He don't count either. Also a slug that comes around and steals cat food, he don't count. Also a little spider that i let live in the corner of my bathroom. he don't don't count. just the cats and dogs. if i had a ferret it would count, then i would need another guitar. a turtle, no it would not count. i have a system.

Lol, nice system... lets see, a dog, a cat, 6 birds, a guinea pig, and a hamster... Hmm, kind of ruff being an animal lover with a kid and fiance who are love animals laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jun 30 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #26

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 29 2007, 11:28 PM) *

Wombats? Do you count Wombats? Just curious ... I can see why the slug and spider don't count of course, you'd probably have to build them tiny little guitars out of balsa wood and that would be difficult. Makes sense really.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
stratman33
post Jun 30 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1.300

QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 29 2007, 09:44 PM) *
By the time im 30 (in 12 years) im hoping ot have around say 50 guitars.

Dude, I think that's going a little far...

EDIT:Way to far actually..I think a person should have no more than 7 guitars.IMO.

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jun 30 2007, 04:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Jun 30 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #28

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 29 2007, 07:17 PM) *
I'm sorry I don't understand the question ... why would anyone NOT want to own multiple guitars ????

smile.gif

Thats is a VERY Good point! smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jun 30 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #29

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Why set a limit? 1 guitar or 100 guitars, as long as the person is satisfied smile.gif
Our ex-bassplayer told me of an acquaintance from the music store (he use to hang in the store a lot) who used to come in to the store and buy new guitars all the time. He asked the staff, how many guitars does that guy have and the shop owner laughed and said "Dude, he's got more guitars than we have in the store, its more than 70 now"

So keep one guitar if that works for you, or get 100 if you can't get enough of guitars ...and a bigger house laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 30 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #30

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Provided you get enjoyment from them and use them whether it's 1 or 100 what the heck.

On a personal note I have 4: Lowden acoustic, Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, Gibson LP Standard and an Andy Demetriou custom. (Bought over some 20-25 years or so. Thinking about a new guitar at the mo.) I use them all for their different sounds and feel. Having more than 1 guitar doesn't make me a more complete guitar player - that to me is about technique, soul and musicality but more than 1 gives me choice and versatility. (Also I have a spare when one is in the shop for servicing rolleyes.gif )

The only thing I don't like are the collectors who can't play and/or don't play but bump up prices beyond the reach of us mere mortals. God how I would love a '63 cherry red 335 but far far too expensive sad.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jun 30 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (sb81 @ Jun 30 2007, 07:43 AM) *
Lol, nice system... lets see, a dog, a cat, 6 birds, a guinea pig, and a hamster... Hmm, kind of ruff being an animal lover with a kid and fiance who are love animals laugh.gif

and it can work both ways. you can use it as an excuse to get another guitar, or as an excuse to get another pet. although no more cats! I chase them away now. I have just accepted that i have to play guitar with cats crawling over me. Holding it on the couch like a sitar usually is possible. I could try playing it behind my head like Hendrix, but there generally are a couple laying in back of me, don't want to risk braining the little darlings.
Well Scampy just fell asleep on my lap, well i can hold it like a sitar if I hold it sideways, hmmm, no, something better, i can hold it upright next to my left hip, and play it that way, that will work.

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jun 30 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1.345

QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 30 2007, 10:06 AM) *
Dude, I think that's going a little far...
EDIT:Way to far actually..I think a person should have no more than 7 guitars.IMO.

You know man. I really love playing guitar, but i love just looking at them also. But i like playing more. Which i will definitly do. Because my theory is. If i have more guitars. Then i will never get bored. Always grabbing a different electric screwing with the knobs. Always looking for the perfect tone. And practing all a the same time. You can have as many guitars as you want. It just makes your more versitale. Theres no set limit on how many you can have. If i want a 1000 guitars. Whos gonna stop me?? My wife thats who haha (sorry off-topic), but its not against the laws of playing guitar. It would be illegal though to neglact all the guitars for just one. So i must play all of them. That would be the real crime against, the laws of music!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
post Jun 30 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 2.112

Whoever said it was right when he said "different guitars are made for different sounds"

now granted, a lot of sound depends on what kind/make of pickups you have but the guitar does have some impact as well.

I currently play a Schecter C-1 Plus, which has both a neck and bridge humbucker, and can switch between humbucker and single coil, and between neck, middle, and bridge position. Basically, I can get almost any sound I want out of that thing (the only other thing I'd maybe need would be a piezo pickup for acoustic sound).

There are loads of guitars out there like the C-1 Plus that have that kind of versatility (ie - the Parker Nitefly M). But many other guitars aren't made for versatility, rather they are made for a certain type of sound (ie - most BC Rich or Ibanez guitars are made for metal/hard rock).

it's really up to you whether you just want one really versitile guitar (good for gigging), or many guitars for many different sounds (common for studio recording).

smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jul 1 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 1.967

Just a quick note. I read that someone wrote they really aren't an investment...

Guitars are a GREAT investment if you buy right to begin with, and wait for them to gain value.

I am learning to like Ibanez as well Fenders but I can tell you one thing that I have noticed while searching for Ibanez guitars... only the top of the line Ibanez increase greatly in value over time. Most of the basic and mid-model Ibanez never really seem to exceed their purchase price.

Standard Fenders (excluding squires) decrease in value immediately then slowly gain value after a couple decades. Vintage, Special Edition, and even Vintage Reissue Fenders gain much more value after the first 2 decades.

Gibsons have GREAT resell and gain value as well as any Vintage or Special edition Fender or even better. I doubt Epiphones will ever show that kind of increase over time.

Just some examples but I saw a listing on Ebay the other day of an original owner of a '67 (I think that was the year) Stratocaster that he was the original owner of (so about hundred or so dollars spent) and the auction was at $65,000. That beats Americas Inflation over the last 40 years by about 97 times. That is a hell of an investment IMO. ohmy.gif

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jul 1 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jun 30 2007, 09:26 PM) *
Just a quick note. I read that someone wrote they really aren't an investment...

I said it, and i stand by it. They are not going to go up much for awhile (i am speaking of those that are not currently collectibles), so how can you justify holding them for investment now, when you probably can get that same guitar in near mint 5 years from now, and have maybe have increased that money 1 and a half times in more reasonable mid term investments?

I would only say that those that already are collector's items now can be considered a serious investment. And that is very speculative. Whatever has happened in the past 20 or so years, don't assume that will continue. Anyone who knows anything about collectibles would never assume trends will continue, these things can change.

But if you get a good price on a recent issue guitar, you can sell them with little loss, or even a slight gain. I have a few that I bought new last year that I could sell on ebay and break even, or at least come close, because i got good prices.

I agree that only the up scale items will retain much value. Another justification for purchasing a nice guitar. Personally, as most people here are very serious, i think they should be buying up scale guitars, as best as they can come up with the money, i always believe in good tools when you are serious about anything.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 1 2007, 03:46 AM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jul 1 2007, 04:09 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1.967

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 30 2007, 10:42 PM) *
I agree that only the up scale items will retain much value. Another justification for purchasing a nice guitar. Personally, as most people here are very serious, i think they should be buying up scale guitars, as best as they can come up with the money, i always believe in good tools when you are serious about anything.

That was really the point I was trying to make exactly.

I am confident that a Fender Custom shop '69 Reissue will be worth more in 30 years. And I don't consider short term investments... too speculative. I only think about long term investments.

But really who buys guitars JUST for the investment....... If you want to invest money just for the sake of investing it there are better ways.

Like, uhm... cookies.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
kahall
post Jul 1 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #37

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

I only have 2 guitars. Even if I could not play them at all they would still look cool just sitting on the stands.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
yell03
post Jul 1 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1.216

I must admit, ever since I bought the Flying V I have been playing all of my guitars every day trying to decide on one to sell to recoup the cost of the flying V.

But, unfortunately I love them all.

If you put a gun to my head and told me to sell one now (not counting the $99 Vendetta) I would probably part with the Ibanez Prestige or ESP LTD Viper 400.

The Gibsons and Fender aren't going anywhere.

If the Ibanez had some Seymour Duncans like the Fender or Dimarzios the ESP would be gone first.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
sb81
post Jul 1 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #39

Well bought the dean evo special select yesterday.

Thing is pretty mint besides a couple of pretty ugly gashes. One is viewable from the front :/

Beautiful guitar, bought for $299, the retail for $499 and have been claimed to be underpriced by many. I tried an Epiphone Les Paul while there, and there was no comparison. Tried a Gibson Les Paul as well, and while it was a very short trial with a cheap amp (I wanted to use the amp I actually have to make sure I would like it) there sure wasn't $500+ worth of difference in my opinion.

Here's a pic, i didn't take it, but that's the same guitar, color and all.

http://www.themusiccellar.co.uk/ProductImages/Dean%20evo.jpg

Compliments my Ibanez nicely. Dean has warmer cleans, which I bought it mainly for blues. Ibanez is more metal obviously, and still has the super sex neck.

Oh ya, and thanks to Forum poster Evan who got me to look into the Dean Evos.

This post has been edited by sb81: Jul 1 2007, 03:23 PM

+Quote Post
Lurgen
post Jul 2 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 1.649

I have four guitars. The first was a cheapie, so there's the reason for replacing that one. The second was a US Strat, which was great in general but not ideal for certain specific sounds (blues, in particular). So I got a Maton. I still play both regularly, although the Maton gets more use than the Strat.

I'll eventually buy a third electric, but only because I want a 24 fret neck. I have an accoustic for obvious reasons - sometimes it's nice to unplug and just mess around.

There are sounds I just can't figure out how to get out of the strat that seem to require a couple of humbuckers. There are also sounds I simply can't get out of the humbuckers (even with coil tap) that the Strat comes in handy for. So that's why I have more than one electric. At least, that's the story I give my wife - it's basically true, but there's more to it...

I tend to fall in love with a new guitar once in a while and that makes me want to buy it. Not having a whole lot of self control, I give in eventually. That's OK though, we all have our vices.

They're a very emotional type of thing to me. It's similar to the difference between bikes and cars - car owners are rarely passionate about their ride, but bike owners are totally in love with their bikes. It's something to do with the intimacy of a bike compared to a car. Similarly, guitars are something you physically connect with the moment you start playing. They become very personal.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 09:43 AM