Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Gretschies Out There?
Blue Willy
post May 24 2013, 03:18 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.267

I'm new here and I'm wondering if there are many Gretsch buffs here. I'm a long time Gretsch and Rickenbacker fan which may surprise some folks since I'm primarily a blues player and most players don't associate these brands with blues.

I've owned a few over the years but currently only have one Gretsch in the stable. I bought my Gretsch 6193 Country Club in 1965 in the proverbial pawnshop in Reno, Nevada and it has been my primary electric guitar ever since. This one is an early production 1954 Country Club made in Brooklyn, NY in late 1953. The 1954 model year was the first year for the Country Club and this model is still in the Gretsch catalog today. The serial # 12553 indicates that this was only the 4th of this model made. The early production Clubs had a tortoiseshell colored pick guard and no first fret marker. Within a month or so the model had gained a first fret block marker and the gold pick guard that blonde Country Clubs have worn right up until the present day. At the time the Country Club came out, it was the most expensive guitar in the Gretsch line.

Back when I bought this guitar no one had heard of "vintage guitars", it was just a "used guitar" and a pretty expensive one at that...I had to shell out all of $285 for it! It being used, I thought nothing of making a few modifications to make it more suitable for the music I play. If I had not modified it, it would be worth a pretty penny today but I'm not crying the blues since I'm not going to be selling it any time soon. My heirs however may be mightily annoyed at "that old fool!" tongue.gif

--------------------
Mike

"The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Inductee in the Blues Hall of Fame, March 14, 2012.

Mike-Wilhelm.com
YouTube: Michael Ray Wilhelm, Blusician, guitar & vocal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 24 2013, 04:52 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

I could see your collection of guitars in your intro thread and I'm amazed with them. This Grestch is so beautiful. I don't have one of these but I would like to have it! Let's see if we have some GMCers who own guitars like this one.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 24 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17.304

Nice guitar man! A hollow Gretsch is on my list.
This is as close as I get now (which is really not close at all), a late 60s Filtertron in the white Tele ...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amp360
post May 24 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 18.225

I have a bunch of Gretsch guitars. I'm partial to the old ones, as I have yet to hear a new one that feels/sounds like one of the old models, but I do have some new ones as well.

Here is a like new, not a mark on it 1957 6120. This is the only year with the hump inlays and the last year for the D'Armond pickups, which I prefer to Filtertrons. I got super lucky and got this one in a consignment shop with the original strap, cowboy case and even the Chet Atkins amp with the footswitch, Jensen speakers and replacement fuse in the envelope!

it even has the tag in the case!

here is the back:

The amps have the Magnatone pitch vibrato which is pretty awesome. The Chet Atkins amp was top of the line and has a phonograph input, electronic tuner and a bunch of other weird features.

Here is a '67 Chet Atkins Nashville I have on the left next to the 57.

Here is a reissue Country Club (I wish it were an old one like the one above!)

Here is an Elliot Easton Jet

Sparkle Jet

Country Gent

Rare blue Country Club reissue:

This is a Pearl Jet

--------------------
company contact
www.sparkletune.com
https://www.facebook.com/sparkletune
https://twitter.com/sparkletune1

my personal blog:
www.tanpants.net

thank you to john at GMC for inviting me to join this forum

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post May 24 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

[/URL]

I had this Gretsch Powerjet for a while, but didn't bond with it. I didn't like the neck and the TV Jones powertrons were a little muddy. Maybe a different pickup might have been better and convinced me to keep it, but I sold it with a lapsteel to buy wedding rings so no regrets

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
Blue Willy
post May 24 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #6

Nice collection!

I had a double cut 6120 Nashville for awhile but failed to bond with the Filtertrons or anything else about it and so sold it. In the early '60s I bought my first Gretsch, a 6119 orange Chet with single Supertron at the bridge and cowboy case. Wish I hadn't sold it. It was the only 6119 I've ever seen with a Supertron. Great sounding guitar.

I notice your Rick has the button PUs. I like them much better than toasters. I had a 360 with buttons. I put a B11 Bigsby on it. It rocked but I sold it 'cause I needed cash. I had a 360 12 back in the late '60s. Now have a modded 450 12, toasters, stereo wired.

This post has been edited by Blue Willy: May 24 2013, 11:59 PM

--------------------
Mike

Mike-Wilhelm.com

+Quote Post
dcz702
post May 25 2013, 04:53 AM
Post #7

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

QUOTE (Amp360 @ May 24 2013, 03:08 PM) *
I have a bunch of Gretsch guitars. I'm partial to the old ones, as I have yet to hear a new one that feels/sounds like one of the old models, but I do have some new ones as well.

Here is a like new, not a mark on it 1957 6120. This is the only year with the hump inlays and the last year for the D'Armond pickups, which I prefer to Filtertrons. I got super lucky and got this one in a consignment shop with the original strap, cowboy case and even the Chet Atkins amp with the footswitch, Jensen speakers and replacement fuse in the envelope!

it even has the tag in the case!

here is the back:

The amps have the Magnatone pitch vibrato which is pretty awesome. The Chet Atkins amp was top of the line and has a phonograph input, electronic tuner and a bunch of other weird features.

Here is a '67 Chet Atkins Nashville I have on the left next to the 57.

Here is a reissue Country Club (I wish it were an old one like the one above!)

Here is an Elliot Easton Jet

Sparkle Jet

Country Gent

Rare blue Country Club reissue:

This is a Pearl Jet

ohmy.gif dang I never seen a collection like yours. Amazing. Welcome to gmc willy great to have someone with your experience around maybe you can help me with the blues along with the intructors

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 25 2013, 05:42 AM

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
post May 29 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18.269

You guys might get a kick out of this. A local vintage gear enthusiast (and all round capable DIY guy) is selling a double-neck 6120 that he restored after the top was smashed in at a show in LA a few years ago. It looks awesome now, and only needs the binding on the back to be finished.

Original maple spacers and waffles used to restore the innards.

You can still see the cracks where the top was smashed:

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Blue Willy
post May 30 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #9

Incredibly beautiful. My kind of guitar since I like 12-strings too and was always changing back and forth before I decided to simplify things and play mostly six. I've never seen a guitar like this and am wondering if this was a one off from some luthier or came from the factory. It looks to have Baldwin era appointments. "Baldwin era" refers to the time that Balwin Piano Co. owned Gretsch.

--------------------
Mike

Mike-Wilhelm.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 10:50 PM