2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitar Out Of Tune, Staying in tune
post Jun 1 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.302

I can only share what works for me, I never said it was the "only" way. I do use a American Standard Strat and keeping that guitar in tune using heavy trem sucked until I found this video that was suggested to me by a pro player.

On my strat I do use version of the Carl Verheyen style, I float the bridge and adjust the spring tension where I like it, it also sounds and plays a little different on the spring tension. I do not do exactly what Carl does but he led me in a good direction by sharing what he does.

Baker is right about guitar strings, they last a week, If I am doing session work they last a day sometimes two. Playing in a gigging band I change strings every week.

Do I always do this, NO right now my strings are a month old on my Les Paul and It sound great last night and stayed in perfect tune.

Recording is the biggest noticeable difference for me, Highs are not as crisp, that is the first thing to go, lows become muddy and less defined, and to be honest with my amps sometimes playing live on old strings is nice because of the natural treble roll off.

Used strings become rubbery too, it is fun to a point and the attack is gone.

When my tone goes meh, I need a string change and some fresh picks.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 2 2013, 02:33 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 1 2013, 11:17 AM) *
I respect your point of view...so what does that sentence mean? If you used a wammy bar you'd expect tuning issues or more string changes or both? smile.gif

If you're really using the bar a lot and aggressively you'll probably put a kink in the strings quicker or separate a winding. Both those things will cause an unfixable tuning problem requiring new strings. I bend a lot but it still takes me a month or two to render a set of strings untuneable. I also dig the sound of semi dead strings.

Caveat: My axes are well maintained and set up which is also paramount for keeping things in tune.
Bridge intonation slippage, a divot in a fret, ground down nut slot, truss rod movement - the weather (humidity/heat/cold) - funky tuners or string tree ... all those things can seriously affect your tuning.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 2 2013, 03:22 AM

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2016 - 10:00 AM