Powermetalrec Question
dcz702
Jun 6 2013, 12:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 6 2013, 01:14 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 6 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Ok...Give some time to make a good analyzis of this. I'll repeat in the evening ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 6 2013, 11:16 PM
Instructor
Ok...so let's make a few things clear - You mix together the guitar two different takes - like...doing the double of solo guitar. Things like this always causes some phase issues but if they are tiny...it's exactly what is the purpose of doing the double. As far as we are humans we are not able to play twice exactly the same solo - I mean EXACTLY. Timming differences and very small dynamics differences make all the doubled guitars flavor.

Different situation is when You have two recording mics tracks of ONE solo played in the EXACTLY the same moment. Then even a tiny move can cause regular phase issue.

Mixing two different takes to one mixdown will give a chorus effect at some moments but...time differences between both track are irregular so there are moments when phase is ok and the moments it's out. This happens because Even if You feel You play 100% in timming...there are still a few miliseconds differences between same note stroke in both takes.

Also...basic rule of the correct phase is that both sinusoidal drawings have the "top" in the exactly same bit 9same with the bottom egdge)

My suggestion is to avoid doubling the solo track for the rec takes. One take = one solo track form one mic. I'm not saying that this recording technique is bad but let's set up a startting point for the tone search.

Also...I think that zoom showed in the video above is not enought to say something about the phase.

Dave....please try to be on my next video chat - I will take more of this time to talk about Your tone research and all those problems

P.S wento back to Your video once again and - there is no phase issue - it's natural delay of the way You played second take. Please avoid doubling the guitars for REC takes smile.gif)))

I'm very stuborn to help You with the dynamic + condenser mics combination tongue.gif Could You please make a similar video showing tracks of both mics recordding EXACTLY the same moment of Your playing ?

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jun 6 2013, 11:19 PM

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 7 2013, 12:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
thanks darius, i am going to stick to one mic for now for the rec.
and yea im trying to find the best tone to my ears and using the rec as a time to do this along with practcing,
im going to do a takewith 2 mics and upload the finished video and a screen capture of the whole process, gimmie few days on that when im able to spend couple hours in front of computer smile.gif
and im gonna try to make it to your rec, good news is my work schedule moved to nights so im gonna be able to make alot of instructers vchats biggrin.gif, and when doing two takes it takes me longer cause i keep obsessing over the 2 take differences!
thanks man!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 7 2013, 08:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 6 2013, 11:26 PM) *
thanks darius, i am going to stick to one mic for now for the rec.
and yea im trying to find the best tone to my ears and using the rec as a time to do this along with practcing,
im going to do a takewith 2 mics and upload the finished video and a screen capture of the whole process, gimmie few days on that when im able to spend couple hours in front of computer smile.gif
and im gonna try to make it to your rec, good news is my work schedule moved to nights so im gonna be able to make alot of instructers vchats biggrin.gif, and when doing two takes it takes me longer cause i keep obsessing over the 2 take differences!
thanks man!

That's great! So see You on the chats smile.gif The whole idea with video of what's going on in You DAW i very good way to help me find the reason of any issues smile.gif You last rec take tone is nice and warm smile.gif I like it smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:12 PM