Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 23 2013, 07:45 AM
Post #181

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 22 2013, 05:05 PM) *
That has been in the back of my mind. I have also been thinking about giving the picks their own brand name, and not lump everything I do now or will do under "The Art of Von Hotch". Keep art and picks and anything else in seperate areas. Then come up with more of a logo that represents the name and brand, and maybe some individual packaging.

Aye, that's what I had in mind smile.gif Why not stack all the names of the picks here and we can make a brainstorming so that we can select what elements/terms we can relate to each name and thus find the right inspiration for you to create the images biggrin.gif I think that it could be a good starting point, IF you haven't already thought about it and know what they should look like. Have you?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 22 2013, 11:36 PM) *
Practice makes perfect, even with business! smile.gif I appreciate how you balance music and biz. It's a really tough balance to pull of gracefully.

Thank you Todd, but trust me, it's a very tough balance. Sometimes, there are days when I'd run away in the mountains and never come back to civilization smile.gif But as much as I'd love to stick to only making music, there's simply too much at stake regarding my family and future endeavors to quit everything else so, I decided to try and keep the balance as I cannot live without music and can't yet live off it smile.gif Pretty ironic, innit?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 23 2013, 07:48 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 24 2013, 02:06 AM
Post #182

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

BRAINSTORMING!!!!! Good call smile.gif Never hurts to have loads of ideas to choose from! I think the basic shapes have overal names but inside of that they could be named further I think. For example, the OCTAVIOUS is a general shape with a hole in the center, but as the thickness, material and bevel can all change, naming the sub types could really be a big help! E.g OCTAVIOUS ASSASIN vs OCTAVIOUS GRINDER. smile.gif

You really do make a good go of keeping the balance, even in your replies I've noticed. There is always a music focus but grounded very much in the real world. I really appreciate that.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 23 2013, 02:45 AM) *
Aye, that's what I had in mind smile.gif Why not stack all the names of the picks here and we can make a brainstorming so that we can select what elements/terms we can relate to each name and thus find the right inspiration for you to create the images biggrin.gif I think that it could be a good starting point, IF you haven't already thought about it and know what they should look like. Have you?

Thank you Todd, but trust me, it's a very tough balance. Sometimes, there are days when I'd run away in the mountains and never come back to civilization smile.gif But as much as I'd love to stick to only making music, there's simply too much at stake regarding my family and future endeavors to quit everything else so, I decided to try and keep the balance as I cannot live without music and can't yet live off it smile.gif Pretty ironic, innit?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 24 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #183

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 24 2013, 01:06 AM) *
BRAINSTORMING!!!!! Good call smile.gif Never hurts to have loads of ideas to choose from! I think the basic shapes have overal names but inside of that they could be named further I think. For example, the OCTAVIOUS is a general shape with a hole in the center, but as the thickness, material and bevel can all change, naming the sub types could really be a big help! E.g OCTAVIOUS ASSASIN vs OCTAVIOUS GRINDER. smile.gif

You really do make a good go of keeping the balance, even in your replies I've noticed. There is always a music focus but grounded very much in the real world. I really appreciate that.

Todd

Thanks again Todd smile.gif I think that being a realistic dreamer can actually get me closer to seeing my dreams fulfilled, so that's what I am aiming for actually. Regarding the Octavious, I was thinking that maybe we could go for:

Octavious Sizeshifter 6 or 7 or 8 in respect to it's recommended usage - as you said, the shape stays the same but the dimensions are variable smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Oct 24 2013, 03:35 PM
Post #184

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.741

Names, ok. One idea I was thinking about for the overall brand name was "Metalli Regum Picks" or "Metalli Regum Picks by Von Hotch". It is latin for metal of kings. That is how aluminum was referred to years ago before a specific process for producing it was discovered, because it was more expensive to produce than gold.

For individual pick shapes we have,(from left to right) The Invader, The Octavius, and The Flying Dutchman.

I'm not sure how I feel about dividing the name down any further for different sizes, and thickness. I like it if there were a special custom addition say different grip holes or slight modification to the shape or special bevel. Or of course material, I am considering getting some other material to test with my next supply order.

For imagery on the packaging this is what comes to my mind
Invader: Bearded skull, viking helmet, skeleton hand holding invader pick.

Octavius: Though the name is based on an actual ship and story, what I keep envisioning is a stormy sea and large octopus type sea monster holding a ship in one tentacle and an Octavius in another.

The Flying Dutchman: Not sure I can't really get paste thinking about the cartoon Dutchman on Spongebob. laugh.gif

Oh and I do have one other design. The custom I am designing for myself. Though I am not real happy with the prototypes I have made. I think that will be moving to 3mm and from 2024 to 7075. And I think I might call it "The Black Baron". But then I guess I could not coat it white. dry.gif The white baron doesn't have the same ring to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 25 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #185

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 24 2013, 02:35 PM) *
Names, ok. One idea I was thinking about for the overall brand name was "Metalli Regum Picks" or "Metalli Regum Picks by Von Hotch". It is latin for metal of kings. That is how aluminum was referred to years ago before a specific process for producing it was discovered, because it was more expensive to produce than gold.

For individual pick shapes we have,(from left to right) The Invader, The Octavius, and The Flying Dutchman.

I'm not sure how I feel about dividing the name down any further for different sizes, and thickness. I like it if there were a special custom addition say different grip holes or slight modification to the shape or special bevel. Or of course material, I am considering getting some other material to test with my next supply order.

Octavius: Though the name is based on an actual ship and story, what I keep envisioning is a stormy sea and large octopus type sea monster holding a ship in one tentacle and an Octavius in another.

The Flying Dutchman: Not sure I can't really get paste thinking about the cartoon Dutchman on Spongebob. laugh.gif

Oh and I do have one other design. The custom I am designing for myself. Though I am not real happy with the prototypes I have made. I think that will be moving to 3mm and from 2024 to 7075. And I think I might call it "The Black Baron". But then I guess I could not coat it white. dry.gif The white baron doesn't have the same ring to it.

I think that these are all great ideas! Let's see the designs for each package if you please and we'll take it from that point on wink.gif

By the way - the fact that the picks are coated solved the fine aluminum dust issue in a proportion of 90%! Great job mate!! I'm writing my thoughts as I go using them wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Oct 25 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #186

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 25 2013, 09:32 AM) *
I think that these are all great ideas! Let's see the designs for each package if you please and we'll take it from that point on wink.gif

By the way - the fact that the picks are coated solved the fine aluminum dust issue in a proportion of 90%! Great job mate!! I'm writing my thoughts as I go using them wink.gif

Great news on the dust. I am also thinking of experimenting with an anodizing process soon.

Here is a couple quick sketches. I am on the down side (hopefully) of some of the worst artistic block I have ever had in my life, and these well...... SUCK. But you get the idea of what I was thinking. Everything will probably need to be compressed together more and moved around to fit on the small packages. But it's the general idea.

Anybody ever deal with these creative blocks? It's like things that would come so naturally would be impossible. So frustrating. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 25 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #187

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 24 2013, 03:35 PM) *
Invader: Bearded skull, viking helmet, skeleton hand holding invader pick

That. Is. Awesome.
I must get me one of those. cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Headbanger
post Oct 25 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #188

Member No.: 17.478

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 25 2013, 03:29 PM) *
Anybody ever deal with these creative blocks? It's like things that would come so naturally would be impossible. So frustrating. mad.gif

I think these ideas look good...keep playing with the roughs until your'e happy and do them in INK. Have you got a light box? Sometimes that helps in the planning and keeping bits of the roughs that you like...without redrawing everything..also for repositioning away from photoshop.
I have creative blocks all the time...Its just sometimes that I don't. laugh.gif
PM me if you want any help with anything.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Oct 25 2013, 07:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 25 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #189

Group Icon

I"m diggin it!! I was brainstorming some ideas and while we are at it!!!

METALLI ARCANUM Secrety Knowledge of Metal

METALLI NEX Metal Death/Death Metal

METALLI DRACONIS Metal Dragon

I like the Octopus imagery for the Ocatavious especially smile.gif

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 24 2013, 10:35 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 25 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #190

Group Icon

I cam up with this while brainstorming about the logo for the OCT smile.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2013, 10:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 26 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #191

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 25 2013, 01:29 PM) *
Great news on the dust. I am also thinking of experimenting with an anodizing process soon.

Here is a couple quick sketches. I am on the down side (hopefully) of some of the worst artistic block I have ever had in my life, and these well...... SUCK. But you get the idea of what I was thinking. Everything will probably need to be compressed together more and moved around to fit on the small packages. But it's the general idea.

What exactly is anodizing? biggrin.gif I think the ideas are nice and I love the cartoonish stint tongue.gif I also like Todd's approach, more stylized - why not make a special VH Graphic Design and let everyone say what's on their mind wink.gif Just like a little market study smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 26 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #192

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 26 2013, 04:28 AM) *
What exactly is anodizing?

Anodized Aluminum.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm

I think this is a great idea!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 27 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #193

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 26 2013, 04:05 PM) *
Anodized Aluminum.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm

I think this is a great idea!

AAAAAAAAhh biggrin.gif Got it now! I tried this experiment at chemistry in the 10th or 11th grade laugh.gif How could I forget this ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Oct 28 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #194

Thanks!
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 25 2013, 02:19 PM) *
That. Is. Awesome.
I must get me one of those. cool.gif

I don't normally ever "finish" a sketch. Usually if I draw something to finish I just use the sketch as a layout for painting. That is how I would probably do the final artwork for these, airbrush or something. I don't have a light box. I usually just draw the same thing terribly 4 or 5 times before I get one I like. I should try a light box. I did just get a graphics tablet for my computer, though the transition to digital paint is a bit tougher than expected. laugh.gif Part of the hold up on more or different art I suppose.

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Oct 25 2013, 06:09 PM) *
I think these ideas look good...keep playing with the roughs until your'e happy and do them in INK. Have you got a light box? Sometimes that helps in the planning and keeping bits of the roughs that you like...without redrawing everything..also for repositioning away from photoshop.
I have creative blocks all the time...Its just sometimes that I don't. laugh.gif
PM me if you want any help with anything.

This is really cool. I like it!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 25 2013, 09:30 PM) *
I cam up with this while brainstorming about the logo for the OCT smile.gif

Attached Image

Yup that's the stuff in that link. Though I wanted to try it as more of a coloring technique. Hopefully it won't make them too hard.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 27 2013, 03:06 PM) *
AAAAAAAAhh biggrin.gif Got it now! I tried this experiment at chemistry in the 10th or 11th grade laugh.gif How could I forget this ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 29 2013, 09:19 AM
Post #195

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 28 2013, 01:48 PM) *
Thanks!

I don't normally ever "finish" a sketch. Usually if I draw something to finish I just use the sketch as a layout for painting. That is how I would probably do the final artwork for these, airbrush or something. I don't have a light box. I usually just draw the same thing terribly 4 or 5 times before I get one I like. I should try a light box. I did just get a graphics tablet for my computer, though the transition to digital paint is a bit tougher than expected. laugh.gif Part of the hold up on more or different art I suppose.

This is really cool. I like it!

Yup that's the stuff in that link. Though I wanted to try it as more of a coloring technique. Hopefully it won't make them too hard.

Nah man, I really like the new ones and I can't decide which one is the favorite - I'm guessing I'll go for the black one tongue.gif So 7075 it is!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 29 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #196

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

I got a little Von Hotch gear in the mail the other day so I thought I would share a couple before and after shots of my Kramer for folks to see how it came out. Thanks VH!, I wasn't sure I would like the new knobs at first but after putting them on along with the pickup ring I thought it turned out looking pretty sharp and a bit more modern maybe. I also thought the knobs might be a bit too tall but it hasn't been a problem. The trem arm doesn't hit the volume knob and it hasn't got in the way of my picking either so far. Nice job man! smile.gif

Before
Attached Image

And after
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 29 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #197

Instructor
Group Icon

Wow! Beautiful!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
post Oct 29 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #198

Member No.: 17.478

Looks great Rich!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Oct 29 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #199

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Looks very nice, Rich! I still love the colour of that guitar!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Oct 29 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #200

Thanks for posting the pics. Glad you like them. They look great on there!
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 29 2013, 08:38 AM) *
I got a little Von Hotch gear in the mail the other day so I thought I would share a couple before and after shots of my Kramer for folks to see how it came out. Thanks VH!, I wasn't sure I would like the new knobs at first but after putting them on along with the pickup ring I thought it turned out looking pretty sharp and a bit more modern maybe. I also thought the knobs might be a bit too tall but it hasn't been a problem. The trem arm doesn't hit the volume knob and it hasn't got in the way of my picking either so far. Nice job man! smile.gif

Before
Attached Image

And after
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 12:35 AM