> Vonhotch Custom Picks
Todd Simpson
post Oct 29 2013, 11:40 PM
Post #201

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

AK RICH: Is that a RG560 MIJ? If so CONGRATS that's a freaking FINE guitar. One of the best Necks they've ever built. Same specs as the "Super Wizard" that only comes on the Jcraft Customs. I usually like old Ibby's as pure stock but I've got to say these knobs really do add to it. Some additions can take away, but like adding American Racing mags to a 69 Camaro, this addition improves the piece. Good call smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 29 2013, 04:38 AM) *
I got a little Von Hotch gear in the mail the other day so I thought I would share a couple before and after shots of my Kramer for folks to see how it came out. Thanks VH!, I wasn't sure I would like the new knobs at first but after putting them on along with the pickup ring I thought it turned out looking pretty sharp and a bit more modern maybe. I also thought the knobs might be a bit too tall but it hasn't been a problem. The trem arm doesn't hit the volume knob and it hasn't got in the way of my picking either so far. Nice job man! smile.gif

Before
[attachment=34158:IMG_0328.jpg]

And after
[attachment=34159:IMG_0350.jpg]
[attachment=34160:IMG_0349.jpg]

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 30 2013, 01:20 AM
Post #202

Group Icon

NEW VON PICKS!!!! smile.gif

These are candidates for my "Signature" line as it were smile.gif I'm trying to make a pick design that will help just about anybody as they learn/work on their alternate picking and string traverse. These just glide over the strings. The extra heft/thickness makes them a great choice for down tuned/extended range/7/8 string guitars and bass. Of course they work great on 6 stringers as well smile.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 30 2013, 03:43 AM
Post #203

Learning Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 29 2013, 02:40 PM) *
AK RICH: Is that a RG560 MIJ? If so CONGRATS that's a freaking FINE guitar. One of the best Necks they've ever built. Same specs as the "Super Wizard" that only comes on the Jcraft Customs. I usually like old Ibby's as pure stock but I've got to say these knobs really do add to it. Some additions can take away, but like adding American Racing mags to a 69 Camaro, this addition improves the piece. Good call smile.gif

Todd

Nah that's just my old beater, An 80's or 90's(not sure) model Kramer I picked up off of craigslist years ago. I love it because of the old school Floyd and the Warmoth neck with super jumbo's. The frets are so big it's almost like playing a scalloped fretboard! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 30 2013, 07:17 PM
Post #204

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 30 2013, 12:20 AM) *
NEW VON PICKS!!!! smile.gif

These are candidates for my "Signature" line as it were smile.gif I'm trying to make a pick design that will help just about anybody as they learn/work on their alternate picking and string traverse. These just glide over the strings. The extra heft/thickness makes them a great choice for down tuned/extended range/7/8 string guitars and bass. Of course they work great on 6 stringers as well smile.gif

Attached Image

Looking awesome Todd biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 31 2013, 02:10 AM
Post #205

Group Icon

These are looking just KILLER aren't they!!! Well done VON!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 30 2013, 02:17 PM) *
Looking awesome Todd biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 6 2013, 11:15 PM
Post #206

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

Check out what appeared at my house yesterday biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Thank you very much VH, Its brilliant, I really dig it cool.gif
I must say that on my initial play, I was very surprised how comfortable it felt. Having seen various pictures of the octavious style pick I was expecting to spend a bit of time just getting use to it but not at all! I felt like Id been using it for ages smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 6 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #207

Group Icon

Nice Pick!! Good call smile.gif What you've described is exactly how I felt when I first got some VH picks in the mail smile.gif I got an INVADER with my first OCTAVIOUS and I went straight for the invader as it's very close to my VPICK signature pick. But to my surprise, the funky looking, donut hole, Octavious felt way more natural in my hand and seemed to play better and traverse better. I was stunned. But I got over it and asked him to make me more of them!!!

P.S.here is a pick of some custom pickup rings I'm looking forward too!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 6 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Attached Image

I must say that on my initial play, I was very surprised how comfortable it felt. Having seen various pictures of the octavious style pick I was expecting to spend a bit of time just getting use to it but not at all! I felt like Id been using it for ages smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 7 2013, 08:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 7 2013, 08:14 AM
Post #208

Instructor
Group Icon

I guess I already told you guys that until some time ago, I had no clue what the pickup rings were... and I was looking at them and I still had no clue, until I saw them on a guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Nov 8 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #209

Member No.: 15.741

Awesome. Always good to hear that my international shipments have made it safely. Glad you like it. smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 6 2013, 10:15 PM) *

Attached Image

We are all learning, I had no idea that these weren't all a fairly standard size, til well....... I made some and found out the aren't. dry.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 7 2013, 07:14 AM) *
I guess I already told you guys that until some time ago, I had no clue what the pickup rings were... and I was looking at them and I still had no clue, until I saw them on a guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Nov 8 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #210

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 8 2013, 07:14 AM) *
We are all learning, I had no idea that these weren't all a fairly standard size, til well....... I made some and found out the aren't. dry.gif

I know this story. smile.gif It turns out that rings for active EMG pickups are not the same as a standard pickup , if there is such a thing. wink.gif
I had to return a set of rings to him because the mounting holes didn't line up and the opening was too small. But Mr.VonHotch is tirelessly trying to rectify the situation and as he said to me , he is "All about the customer service" smile.gif I have no doubts that he will come through in the end and I will have a great set of custom rings for my Ibanez. On top of that he sent me some nice new knobs to go on my kramer and one of the rings that didn't fit my Ibanez is on there as well since it fit the kramer perfectly. Not only that, I got this cool sticker that I now have to decide where I wanna stick. biggrin.gif Thanks VH!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 9 2013, 09:14 AM
Post #211

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 8 2013, 05:01 PM) *
I know this story. smile.gif It turns out that rings for active EMG pickups are not the same as a standard pickup , if there is such a thing. wink.gif
I had to return a set of rings to him because the mounting holes didn't line up and the opening was too small. But Mr.VonHotch is tirelessly trying to rectify the situation and as he said to me , he is "All about the customer service" smile.gif I have no doubts that he will come through in the end and I will have a great set of custom rings for my Ibanez. On top of that he sent me some nice new knobs to go on my kramer and one of the rings that didn't fit my Ibanez is on there as well since it fit the kramer perfectly. Not only that, I got this cool sticker that I now have to decide where I wanna stick. biggrin.gif Thanks VH!

Attached Image

Establishing a long term relationship with your customers is what business is all about! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 10 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #212

Group Icon

Just noticed this thread has cracked 7,000 + views!! Folks are taking note smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Dec 6 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #213

Learning Guitar Hero

My axe has been pimped with some Von Hotch gear! Here are some pics of the Ibanez with some new pickup ring bling. Thanks VH! And thanks for the spare Invader too! cool.gif
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 7 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #214

Group Icon

Very cool! I just got some new rings myself!
Attached Image

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 6 2013, 01:41 PM) *
My axe has been pimped with some Von Hotch gear! Here are some pics of the Ibanez with some new pickup ring bling. Thanks VH! And thanks for the spare Invader too! cool.gif
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Dec 9 2013, 03:21 PM
Post #215

Lookin good. Thanks for posting the pics!!!! These are the Grizzly proof design. laugh.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 6 2013, 06:41 PM) *
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Can't wait to see them on your Razorback!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 7 2013, 08:29 PM) *
Very cool! I just got some new rings myself!
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Dec 14 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #216

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 9 2013, 06:21 AM) *
Lookin good. Thanks for posting the pics!!!! These are the Grizzly proof design. laugh.gif

Hahaa! biggrin.gif Yeah the post office up here needs to quit hiring grizzlies to sort the mail.Thanks again for all the extra effort you put in to get these rings fitting properly VH, great job man! cool.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah and PS, I noticed that the Invader pick that you sent this time along with the rings is a flat black rather than a gloss black like the first one you sent me. I like it man!, I think has a slightly better grip which is always a good thing, and of course it looks fabulous. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Dec 14 2013, 07:01 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 17 2013, 12:36 PM
Post #217

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 9 2013, 02:21 PM) *

Can't wait to see them on your Razorback!

Looking great guys! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Dec 17 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #218

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 14 2013, 05:39 PM) *
Hahaa! biggrin.gif Yeah the post office up here needs to quit hiring grizzlies to sort the mail.Thanks again for all the extra effort you put in to get these rings fitting properly VH, great job man! cool.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah and PS, I noticed that the Invader pick that you sent this time along with the rings is a flat black rather than a gloss black like the first one you sent me. I like it man!, I think has a slightly better grip which is always a good thing, and of course it looks fabulous. biggrin.gif

Yea I like the flat black better myself. The first batch of picks was gloss black because that's what the guy doing them talked me into. Now I do the coating myself. MUCH CHEAPER! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Jan 7 2014, 11:16 AM
Post #219

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

Your picks are evolving nicely, I keep seeing the pictures on facebook.

How do they sound and feel for more conventional strumming, rather than lead playing and riffing?

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 7 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #220

Instructor
Group Icon

Very good question smile.gif Have you ever considered making acoustic strumming picks? Under 0.5 mm thickness for instance? Is that possible?

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 01:10 AM