> Advice From Greg Howe, What to practice
The Professor
post Jun 28 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #21

Theory Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 17.394

I would agree with what he's saying. I spent years practicing scales all day at a million miles an hour, and then wondered by I didn't sound like my favorite players when I went on stage for gigs. It was only after I switched my focus from technical goals to musical goals that I made giant leaps in my development.

Having said that, I'm glad that I went through all of that technical development so I had the chops and knowledge under my fingers when I made the switch from practicing scales/arps/chords and moved onto tunes and improvising/creating music in my workout.

One of the key moments for me as a player was when my teacher at Uni, the great Canadian jazz guitarist Roddy Ellias, told me that he never practiced scales and didn't see the point of practicing scales. I asked him how he knew that, he said that he practiced technique for 8 hours a day for 3-4 years and then figured it out. Well, I got my answer right there. It's not that technique isn't needed, it's just that there comes a time where we all need to move on from technical to musical goals in our practicing.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 29 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (The Professor @ Jun 28 2013, 07:43 PM) *
I would agree with what he's saying. I spent years practicing scales all day at a million miles an hour, and then wondered by I didn't sound like my favorite players when I went on stage for gigs. It was only after I switched my focus from technical goals to musical goals that I made giant leaps in my development.

Having said that, I'm glad that I went through all of that technical development so I had the chops and knowledge under my fingers when I made the switch from practicing scales/arps/chords and moved onto tunes and improvising/creating music in my workout.

One of the key moments for me as a player was when my teacher at Uni, the great Canadian jazz guitarist Roddy Ellias, told me that he never practiced scales and didn't see the point of practicing scales. I asked him how he knew that, he said that he practiced technique for 8 hours a day for 3-4 years and then figured it out. Well, I got my answer right there. It's not that technique isn't needed, it's just that there comes a time where we all need to move on from technical to musical goals in our practicing.

Good perspective man smile.gif I see technique as means to an end not as an end in itself - we are not practicing a sport but we strive to transmit an artistic message

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2017 - 07:57 PM