Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metronome, How to...
Hajduk
post Jun 17 2013, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.670

Have a question regarding metronome use and I want to apologies if this is a dumb question huh.gif I have just started using a metronome I dont know why I never did before has helped me so much on keeping time. My questions are #1. If I am doing 16th note triplets at 60 bpm as far as my understanding is for every click I have to get 3 notes per click, is that correct?? #2. If I am practicing sweep picking using for example a D Maj Arpeggio at 60 bpm ( this is where I get confused) how many notes of that arpeggio do I have to do per click?? Thank you and sorry if that's a dumb question I just really want to understand more on the uses of the metronome because it has already helped me keep time and I know it will help me in all other areas.

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
post Jun 17 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #2

Theory Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 17.394

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 17 2013, 09:15 AM) *
Have a question regarding metronome use and I want to apologies if this is a dumb question huh.gif I have just started using a metronome I dont know why I never did before has helped me so much on keeping time. My questions are #1. If I am doing 16th note triplets at 60 bpm as far as my understanding is for every click I have to get 3 notes per click, is that correct?? #2. If I am practicing sweep picking using for example a D Maj Arpeggio at 60 bpm ( this is where I get confused) how many notes of that arpeggio do I have to do per click?? Thank you and sorry if that's a dumb question I just really want to understand more on the uses of the metronome because it has already helped me keep time and I know it will help me in all other areas.

Hey

not a dumb questions at all!

1. That would be 8th-note triplets if you are doing 3 notes per click, you can fit 3 notes in place of 1 quarter note when you play 8th-note triplets.

2. If you are playing D F# A D, or the Root 3 5 Root of Dmaj, then you would play 16th notes, so 4 notes per click. Or, you can break that up into 8th notes and play 2 notes per click over 2 beats for the arpeggio.

Here is a link that you might find helpful when studying time and rhythm.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48918

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 17 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Great desicion mate! Congrats! Using the metronome is VERY useful to develop your technique. You will notice a big improvement in your playing. The professor already answered your questions. Let us know if you have any other one. And don't worry about your questions... dumb questions doesn't exist at GMC! Every little doubt must be clarified! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jun 17 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

QUOTE (The Professor @ Jun 17 2013, 08:27 AM) *
Hey

1. That would be 8th-note triplets if you are doing 3 notes per click, you can fit 3 notes in place of 1 quarter note when you play 8th-note triplets.

2. If you are playing D F# A D, or the Root 3 5 Root of Dmaj, then you would play 16th notes, so 4 notes per click. Or, you can break that up into 8th notes and play 2 notes per click over 2 beats for the arpeggio.

+1 for The Professor smile.gif))

16th notes triples are twice as many notes as 8th notes triplets

8th triplets = 3 notes per click
16th triplets = 6 notes per click

I hope this looks pretty clear smile.gif

2. You have to be more precise of what You want to play. Arpeggios can be played with different types of rhythm. So we can only suggest some solutions but You should always try to define by yourself at what rhythm values You want to play particular lick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
post Jun 17 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.670

Thank you all for the help smile.gif) As far as the Arpeggios go was thinking it the context of sweep picking and as far as metronome use I gotta Thank Cosmin smile.gif Has helped me tremendously with everything and really pointed out how important using a metronome is.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 19 2013, 12:47 AM
Post #6

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

WOW! Now that is one fine reply. I have nothing to add except, well done!

QUOTE (The Professor @ Jun 17 2013, 04:27 AM) *
Hey

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 01:21 AM