Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 25 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 25 2013, 03:12 PM) *
I have always preferred a heavy pick 1.2 mm always find soft picks to be well soft smile.gif as far as picks go I don't personally know but the special ones ( Petrucci picks and the others I have seen) seem a bit like a gimmick to me! Am I wrong on that?

Not entirely biggrin.gif

The Petrucci pick has its advantages because of the beveled rims, the grip, the tip and the shape - in here I get 6 JP picks for about 3 dollars - which is a good price.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 25 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #22

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Yeah, compared to a jazzIII it sounds a little brighter. Size is between the jazzIII small and bigger one.

It has a nice "quality" feeling when you first hold it, which I like but I think I'll like it more when as the sides hitting the string melts a bit smile.gif

Getting further out on topic I like having a few picks around specially when playing clean sounds smile.gif its like the most affordable thing one can use to alter sound fast and easy smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 25 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #23

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

BINGO!! smile.gif The reason I suggest 1.5 mm acetate or now Aluminum Picks (beta testing some for VonHotch) is for their complete lack of FLEX/BEND. When learning your picking techniqe, the pick bending can interfere with your precision. Eventually, once you have a better grasp of it, you may decide you prefer the tone of a soft pick or the feel.

Then again, I still prefer a thicker pick that won't bend. Bendy picks just feel less precise. This is also why I typically don't use ULTEX as it has inherent flex but that never stopped JOHN PETRUCCI smile.gif He uses ultex picks to great effect. Just goes to show it's a very individual thing and not everything works the same for everyone smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 25 2013, 11:12 AM) *
I have always preferred a heavy pick 1.2 mm always find soft picks to be well soft smile.gif as far as picks go I don't personally know but the special ones ( Petrucci picks and the others I have seen) seem a bit like a gimmick to me! Am I wrong on that?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017 - 11:56 AM