> 1 Question
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 29 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

After experiencing the great encounter with the even greater Steve Vai this Monday, I realized that while folks in the room were asking questions - I wasn't feeling I had to ask any question I needed an answer for... Is it good, is it bad? I can't be a good judge about myself, but somehow, I think it's good, because I felt at peace while listening to him speak and that was just enough for me.

Now, I am sure that each of you would have a lot of questions to ask your favorite artist and so, I would be very curious to see which would be that one - music/ instrument related or non instrument related - question you would ask and who would you like to receive an answer from smile.gif

Let's share some thoughts wink.gif

Cosmin

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jun 29 2013, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Count me in to the list. I feel respect for many players but even for my first class idols I don't feel a need to disturb them. I'm happy to be close but this is enough for me smile.gif I think most of the answers are in their playing smile.gif sometimes I just go to grab the hand and say simple "Thank You" smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 29 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 29 2013, 01:41 PM) *
Count me in to the list. I feel respect for many players but even for my first class idols I don't feel a need to disturb them. I'm happy to be close but this is enough for me smile.gif I think most of the answers are in their playing smile.gif sometimes I just go to grab the hand and say simple "Thank You" smile.gif

Amen to that brother smile.gif A 'Thank you' from the heart, says a lot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 29 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 29 2013, 10:41 AM) *

I really agree about this. I have been at a Kiko Loureiro's masterclass and I didn't feel the necessity of asking something but I learnt a lot from him. His message was close to Vai's and it was very inspiring.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 29 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 29 2013, 06:41 AM) *
Count me in to the list. I feel respect for many players but even for my first class idols I don't feel a need to disturb them. I'm happy to be close but this is enough for me smile.gif I think most of *the answers are in their playing* smile.gif sometimes I just go to grab the hand and say simple "Thank You" smile.gif

^^^ This ^^^

*Also, when you're in the middle of a masterclass or meeting you're processing what they are saying.
You might think of a question later but in the moment you're (or at least you should be) listening. Not waiting to talk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
post Jun 29 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17.478

If I was there I would probably ask questions about practice routines and also how they think when composing..what scales and chords dictate to them or what songs dictate what chords/ scales to them...In other words...how do they think when composing another masterpiece.....These guys are not magic, they're just humans and they would definitely be full of exciting information to extract!! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jun 29 2013, 08:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 30 2013, 02:03 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 29 2013, 07:07 PM) *
If I was there I would probably ask questions about practice routines and also how they think when composing..what scales and chords dictate to them or what songs dictate what chords/ scales to them...In other words...how do they think when composing another masterpiece.....These guys are not magic, they're just humans and they would definitely be full of exciting information to extract!! cool.gif

Strangely enough, nobody asked that sort of question on Monday tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
post Jun 30 2013, 03:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 30 2013, 03:03 PM) *
Strangely enough, nobody asked that sort of question on Monday tongue.gif

I like to be unique Dude!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 1 2013, 07:08 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 30 2013, 02:13 PM) *
I like to be unique Dude!! laugh.gif

Gotcha mate biggrin.gif Now joking aside, here something I understood in time..

I am thinking that uniqueness is that one thing that we always neglect when we are too absorbed by learning how to do this and this and that with an instrument - regarding this thing, I remembered a story about what Dimebag told to Kerry King something like: 'You shouldn't chisel your playing, learn scales and all that, man, you would lose your unique personality as a guitarist!'

There's even a recorded story:

King contributed a lead guitar outro part to Pantera’s song "Goddamn Electric", which appeared on the 2000 album Reinventing the Steel.[8] King’s rig was set up in Pantera’s bathroom backstage just after Ozzfest in Dallas, as the group still didn't have their own dressing room on top of not appearing on the festival bill.[8] After King had finished the first take, Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell ran in and yelled "DON’T LET HIM DO IT AGAIN!"[8] King tried again with the hope he would find a superior rendition, though the first take was used. (Wikipedia)

That doesn't mean 'don't practice' - PRACTICE like it is your religion - just don't get too absorbed by how to do something technical, instead of valuing your natural musical abilities and focusing on the most important thing - Music smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
post Jul 1 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 1 2013, 08:08 AM) *
Gotcha mate biggrin.gif Now joking aside, here something I understood in time..

I am thinking that uniqueness is that one thing that we always neglect when we are too absorbed by learning how to do this and this and that with an instrument - regarding this thing, I remembered a story about what Dimebag told to Kerry King something like: 'You shouldn't chisel your playing, learn scales and all that, man, you would lose your unique personality as a guitarist!'

There's even a recorded story:

King contributed a lead guitar outro part to Pantera’s song "Goddamn Electric", which appeared on the 2000 album Reinventing the Steel.[8] King’s rig was set up in Pantera’s bathroom backstage just after Ozzfest in Dallas, as the group still didn't have their own dressing room on top of not appearing on the festival bill.[8] After King had finished the first take, Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell ran in and yelled "DON’T LET HIM DO IT AGAIN!"[8] King tried again with the hope he would find a superior rendition, though the first take was used. (Wikipedia)

That doesn't mean 'don't practice' - PRACTICE like it is your religion - just don't get too absorbed by how to do something technical, instead of valuing your natural musical abilities and focusing on the most important thing - Music smile.gif

I like those sort of things that have been said....I think scales and chords should be part of our knowledge and then we should let ourselves free and go outside of them...but if you don't know what's inside and outside...that's maybe not a good thing...so those techniques and theories are a good guide as long as they are not the only thing. I think even Hendrix...one of the improvisation masters...learnt what did and didn't work first. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 3 2013, 07:44 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Very true mate - as I said, first learn the rules so you can break them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jul 3 2013, 09:11 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

I never ask players about practicing rutine biggrin.gif Every one is a speciall in this case and there are no 100% time and technique methods that will work for sure smile.gif This is a question that I always, already have an answer - practice as long as You need and want smile.gif If someone tells You he practices legato for an hour per day...this doesn't mean that an hour will work for You smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 4 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 3 2013, 08:11 AM) *
I never ask players about practicing rutine biggrin.gif Every one is a speciall in this case and there are no 100% time and technique methods that will work for sure smile.gif This is a question that I always, already have an answer - practice as long as You need and want smile.gif If someone tells You he practices legato for an hour per day...this doesn't mean that an hour will work for You smile.gif

Precisely - well said, man. If there would be a universal formula we would all become out of space guitarists. I remember when I met a dude in Switzerland in 2001 - he was playing Pantera songs incredibly well and I was nagging him - 'Man, how can you play so well, teach me your secret'. Unfortunately he didn't know any secret formula that could make me rip the guitar apart over night so, I resigned myself and thought that practice is REALLY the only way laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jul 4 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Also if there would be any universal formula then we'll be all playing the same which is not too interesting though tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 4 2013, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 4 2013, 10:21 AM) *
Also if there would be any universal formula then we'll be all playing the same which is not too interesting though tongue.gif

Even better said biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2017 - 03:27 AM