Music As A Language
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 29 2013, 12:51 PM
Instructor
Just found this great video, in which the great Victor Wooten is talking about music comparing it with a language. After watching it, I felt very happy as I have often seen things exactly this way and I am glad that one of the greats has done this amazing video!

Music is a powerful communication tool--it causes us to laugh, cry, think and question. Bassist and five-time Grammy winner, Victor Wooten, asks us to approach music the same way we learn verbal language--by embracing mistakes and playing as often as possible.

How many times have you thought about music in your compositions or when performing in general? How many times have you transmitted the message to your audience, regardless if it's your family listening or a crowd of thousands?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 29 2013, 12:54 PM
Theory Instructor
Great video and advice. I teach music as a language to my students, especially those learning to "speak" jazz. I find that if we think of music as we would any language, then we can learn to speak it fluently, creating concrete and understandable ideas, rather than focusing on the little details all the time. When we learn to speak a language we often learn phrases, and then break down those phrases to uses those small chunks to build new sentences. The same can be done with music, learning famous phrases, breaking them down and then using those smaller components to build our own vocabulary in that language.

Very cool ideas in the video.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 30 2013, 07:23 AM
Instructor
If only more people would look at things in that way. Simply listening to Mr. Wooten talk, has boosted my energy level sky high!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 30 2013, 09:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
Great words, this is so true. Especially if your music is instrumental, then you are relying on solely music to transfer emotion. The harmonic song is awesome as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trixx
Jul 30 2013, 03:39 PM
GMC:er
absolutely wonderful, ive never looked at it this way, it makes alto of sence

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 31 2013, 07:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jul 30 2013, 08:36 AM) *
Great words, this is so true. Especially if your music is instrumental, then you are relying on solely music to transfer emotion. The harmonic song is awesome as well.

Taka, you are an instrumental artist, right? What are your songs about and how did you think about transmitting the message?

QUOTE (Trixx @ Jul 30 2013, 02:39 PM) *
absolutely wonderful, ive never looked at it this way, it makes alto of sence

Glad I could switch on a light bulb biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:29 PM