Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Injury Frustrations
Opossum
post Aug 2 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.941

What's the longest you've had to lay off playing guitar due to injury? I tried to come back back too soon and wasn't ready. It's been almost a month now, and while my wrist is a lot better, I know it's still got a good ways to go before it's fully healed. I've even mentally braced myself for six months - or a year if necessary. The doctor says it's just a bad case of tendonitis (pain is in the backside of my wrist). Frustrating is putting it lightly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 2 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

left or right hand? you know there are 1 hand and super effective excersises right?

Mine was a week but it was my back, caused of carrying something heavy-ish but for a very long time. Couldn't even sit properly to check e-mail...it was terrible so now I don't do anymore super-manly heavy liftting smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
post Aug 3 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17.500

I practiced guitar for a week in January this year and I practiced too much and without any sort of breaks in between, I know people like Steve Vai and Jason Becker practiced for over 10 hours a day so I decided to give it a go. After a week, my fingers were sliced up really bad (left hand) and I kept bleeding non stop. Took me two weeks to fully recover. I tried to play guitar once or twice during my recovery, but it just made the injury worse.

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 3 2013, 01:17 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Aug 2 2013, 11:36 PM) *
I practiced guitar for a week in January this year and I practiced too much and without any sort of breaks in between, I know people like Steve Vai and Jason Becker practiced for over 10 hours a day so I decided to give it a go. After a week, my fingers were sliced up really bad (left hand) and I kept bleeding non stop. Took me two weeks to fully recover. I tried to play guitar once or twice during my recovery, but it just made the injury worse.

Sounds bad sad.gif I always give homework that covers at least 2-3 techniqes, playing the same thing over and over again for too long hurts fingers (cause ideally always the same spot touches the string) and its not a good way to learn anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
post Aug 3 2013, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17.500

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 3 2013, 12:17 AM) *
Sounds bad sad.gif I always give homework that covers at least 2-3 techniqes, playing the same thing over and over again for too long hurts fingers (cause ideally always the same spot touches the string) and its not a good way to learn anything.

I learned that the hard way sad.gif I was practicing something like 8-10 hours a day, I guess not everyone can be Steve Vai or Jason Becker laugh.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 3 2013, 08:33 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

It is better to crave for playing because of not getting that much of it - if you aim for 4 hrs a day - play 3 or 3 and a half. You will come back the other day with a big hunger for practicing and you will not have any trouble with hurting yourself. Consistency in practicing is far more valuable than 'fattening the pig on Christmas Eve' - it's a saying here in Romania, that means not preparing yourself consistently and thoroughly and then hurrying up to do it in the last minute.

I remember having bleeding fingertips a long long time ago - maybe 14 years ago when I was trying to play Metallica songs - electric ones of course on a junior acoustic guitar laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 3 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I'm sorry of reading this mate. I never had a complex injury so I've never stopped more than 2 or 3 days of playing. However, I recommend you to keep on waiting until your injury get better, if not it can become something periodical.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Opossum
post Aug 3 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 3 2013, 04:57 PM) *
I'm sorry of reading this mate. I never had a complex injury so I've never stopped more than 2 or 3 days of playing. However, I recommend you to keep on waiting until your injury get better, if not it can become something periodical.

The good news is I can tell it is improving - slowly, but it is improving. I just decided that if guys like Todd Simpson can go without playing for (I think he said 6 months) then I can to. But still, it's like having your superpower taken from you.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 4 2013, 08:36 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Opossum @ Aug 3 2013, 07:29 PM) *
The good news is I can tell it is improving - slowly, but it is improving. I just decided that if guys like Todd Simpson can go without playing for (I think he said 6 months) then I can to. But still, it's like having your superpower taken from you.

Watch the new Wolverine movie - his healing factor is taken away from him and he can be wounded just like any mortal man, for a while, until he figures out what's what. Anyway, take his example and fight to re-gain your super power back!

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
post Aug 4 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18.475

I had ganglions on both my wrists a couple of years back. Took about 1 year for it to completely be restored, during that time I just wrote music and learned other stuff instead. It's tough but when it's not a chronic or permanent damage you should be really happy! My injury helped me to be really caring and careful with my hands, which is a lesson I cherish immensly.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Opossum
post Aug 4 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Aug 4 2013, 02:28 PM) *
I had ganglions on both my wrists a couple of years back. Took about 1 year for it to completely be restored, during that time I just wrote music and learned other stuff instead. It's tough but when it's not a chronic or permanent damage you should be really happy! My injury helped me to be really caring and careful with my hands, which is a lesson I cherish immensly.

Thanks for the advice.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 04:22 AM