Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 3 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey guys, I'm proud to present my new setup:

The Lexicon Alpha 2.0 I received from my bandmates on my birthday alongside my newly acquired Yamaha HS7 studio monitors. I went to a big music store here in Bucharest yesterday, alongside my good friend Alex, the bass player in Goodbye to Gravity - our brothers in arms. He is far more experienced than me in what regards studio work and choosing gear, so I thought it was a good idea.

Anyway, we listened to 3 pairs: the KRK Rokit 8, the Yamaha MSP5 and the Yamaha HS7 - oddly enough (I am saying that because it was the cheapest out of the 3), the last pair, actually the one I bought, sounded the best for rock music and such. The KRK and the MSP5 were somewhat having the high frequencies a bit too pronounced and they were feeling artificial in sound, in comparison with the HS7. So I went with the gut feeling and chose those.

The KRK, sounded best for electronic music. We used 3 albums, which are considered to be great productions, for the testing:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in time - I understood they had a budget of about 1 000 000 bucks to record this one... Pffff... laugh.gif
Queensryche - Empire
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a memory

Looking forward to start working on my new tools smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 3 2013, 09:19 AM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 3 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Happy Bday Cos smile.gif Some great presents there to be sure!!! I like the yamaha speakers quite a bit. The NS10m was a standard speaker in studios all over the world for years and I"m very glad they finally tweaked the tweeters a bit and made the speakers much more balanced. Having your own studio setup at home is a real blessing.

It looks like you are ready to dive in to guitar sims and plugins!!!!! It's a wonderful thing smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 3 2013, 04:18 AM) *
Hey guys, I'm proud to present my new setup:

The Lexicon Alpha 2.0 I received from my bandmates on my birthday alongside my newly acquired Yamaha HS7 studio monitors. I went to a big music store here in Bucharest yesterday, alongside my good friend Alex, the bass player in Goodbye to Gravity - our brothers in arms. He is far more experienced than me in what regards studio work and choosing gear, so I thought it was a good idea.

Anyway, we listened to 3 pairs: the KRK Rokit 8, the Yamaha MSP5 and the Yamaha HS7 - oddly enough (I am saying that because it was the cheapest out of the 3), the last pair, actually the one I bought, sounded the best for rock music and such. The KRK and the MSP5 were somewhat having the high frequencies a bit too pronounced and they were feeling artificial in sound, in comparison with the HS7. So I went with the gut feeling and chose those.

The KRK, sounded best for electronic music. We used 3 albums, which are considered to be great productions, for the testing:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere in time - I understood they had a budget of about 1 000 000 bucks to record this one... Pffff... laugh.gif
Queensryche - Empire
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a memory

Looking forward to start working on my new tools smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Aug 3 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.479

Congrats for acquisition!!!
I don't know how sound Yamaha HS7 but I'm very curious.

When I went to buy my studio monitors I spend 2 hours in store and I tried: Yamaha HS50, Genelec, Yamaha MSP5, Dynaudio.
The ones I liked the most was Dynaudio but too expensive and over my budget.
Finally I bought Yamaha MSP5 because I wanted to have high and medium frequencies warmer smile.gif HS50 have clogged bass and Genelec have bass too strong. I tried all the speakers with songs from different styles to make a complete idea. The final test was with a song of mine that had raindrops in backing. I wanted to hear every drop perfectly and so I decided to purchase them. I am very happy with them but to be perfect I would have to buy a separate saboufer because rock music sound a little soft smile.gif
Also for fine details (for working in midnight) I bought AKG K240 MKII headphones.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Aug 3 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

I choose Adam because of bright and eqal tone in the midddle and high range of frequencies because most of modern popular music is very scooped and I decided to trust them most. Had to learn them like any other monitors because nice and warm mixes were sounding to muddy on traditional home speakers. I still own Yamaha NS but they added some extra dB ins the 3 - 6 kHz and I found I was removing too much of those freq in my mixes because of the harsy sound of NS series.

I hope You'll get familiar with Yours and they will help You to bring Your work on the next level biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 4 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Thank you very much guys! These are actually my first professional studio monitors and out of what I understood, it will take a bit until I will really get acquainted with them.

Next in line, as an investment, is a pair of personalized in ear monitors - my receiver and old in ear monitors were stolen at a gig 2 months ago. I almost forgot to tell you this story, but I'll take care of it in another post. Anyway, I am working with a local manufacturer, for a custom built set of in ear monitors, which will be made after my own inner ear and they will feature 3 separate channels/ ear.

If you want to see some tech specs - take a look over this link, even thought it's in Romanian, you might get some of the stuff: http://www.ultimatesound.ro/monitoare-in-ear-3d/

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 01:54 PM