> Please Critique This Mix/tone, First go micing amps
Taka Perry
post Aug 12 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.500

Hi guys,

I decided to try micing up my amp.For my first try, I am actually quite satisfied with the overall result, despite the fact that the amp was a fairly cheap amp. I'd like to know what you think of the overall mix and sound of the guitars in the mix. Let me know what you think smile.gif Thanks.

Attached File  Amp_Micing_Test.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 110

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Aug 12 2013, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 17.069

Very nice and positive mood smile.gif As for the guitar tone...there is a bit of "digital nose" let's say something that happens on the multiple effects distortions when You roll down the volume knob a bit (guitar volume). Anyway...seems to sit with the rest of the instruments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 12 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Nice tune mate, I like how it sounds. Darius comment is very important, you should try to get more from your amp instead of digital stuff. Another important thing is the volume that you set from your amp, you have to experiment with it until you start to feel that your tone sounds more real.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 13 2013, 08:31 AM
Post #4

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Nicely done! The mix works and the guitar sits in it quite well smile.gif Getting good tone from an amp is often the result of significant VOLUME levels and a mic stuffed dead center in the cone. After that, usually, folks will add other mics at other angles and mix them in.

The usual problem is that in a home studio setting, recording LOUD is often not an option. So typically folks will make up for it with some extra processing which can add noise. You want to keep the "noise floor" low if possible. Remember, when you add EQ you add noise. So try to make your first pass of EQ reductive ( only turn things down, not up).

Todd

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 12 2013, 07:07 AM) *
Hi guys,

I decided to try micing up my amp.For my first try, I am actually quite satisfied with the overall result, despite the fact that the amp was a fairly cheap amp. I'd like to know what you think of the overall mix and sound of the guitars in the mix. Let me know what you think smile.gif Thanks.

Attached File  Amp_Micing_Test.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 110

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Aug 13 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 12 2013, 11:56 PM) *
Very nice and positive mood smile.gif As for the guitar tone...there is a bit of "digital nose" let's say something that happens on the multiple effects distortions when You roll down the volume knob a bit (guitar volume). Anyway...seems to sit with the rest of the instruments.

Thanks Darius. I see where you are coming from smile.gif I have a Zoom multi FX pedal, which I used in the recording. I also have a cheapish overdrive pedal which I'll give a shot next time smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 13 2013, 01:47 AM) *
Nice tune mate, I like how it sounds. Darius comment is very important, you should try to get more from your amp instead of digital stuff. Another important thing is the volume that you set from your amp, you have to experiment with it until you start to feel that your tone sounds more real.

Thanks Gabe, I will try using my amp's distortion as well smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 13 2013, 05:31 PM) *
Nicely done! The mix works and the guitar sits in it quite well smile.gif Getting good tone from an amp is often the result of significant VOLUME levels and a mic stuffed dead center in the cone. After that, usually, folks will add other mics at other angles and mix them in.

The usual problem is that in a home studio setting, recording LOUD is often not an option. So typically folks will make up for it with some extra processing which can add noise. You want to keep the "noise floor" low if possible. Remember, when you add EQ you add noise. So try to make your first pass of EQ reductive ( only turn things down, not up).

Todd

Thanks Todd. Luckily my amp is only 10W, so I don't won't have the police at my door for recording a guitar solo laugh.gif I'll take in account your tips about reductive EQ. Thanks again smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 14 2013, 07:59 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Hey Taka - the mix sounds good to my ears, but follow the advices given by the guys in order to improve it. What mic are you using?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Aug 14 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 14 2013, 04:59 PM) *
Hey Taka - the mix sounds good to my ears, but follow the advices given by the guys in order to improve it. What mic are you using?

Hey Cosmin,

I'm using a Behringer XM8500 mic. I guess it's great for the price I paid ($20). I'm a teenager and my budget is small at the moment. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
post Aug 14 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #8

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.500

Sounds neat! cool.gif Btw, what guitar did you use for this?

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 14 2013, 10:18 AM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 14 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 13 2013, 07:36 AM) *
Thanks Gabe, I will try using my amp's distortion as well smile.gif

Cool, go for it! I think that you should get a better distorted sound using just your amp.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 15 2013, 08:19 AM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 14 2013, 12:46 PM) *
Cool, go for it! I think that you should get a better distorted sound using just your amp.

I totally agree with Gabe on this one - frankly speaking, I've only been using the amp or preamp gain for distorted sounds for about 5 years now and I think you should definitely give things a try in this direction smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 05:18 AM