Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Busking Instrumental
Taka Perry
post Aug 18 2013, 08:36 AM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.500

I'm gonna go busk in the coming month or so, but as I'm not really a singer, I'm planning on going solo guitar.

I'm planning on playing instrumentals but also what would you think of taking a famous song, and playing the vocal line on the electric guitar. I think that if I play a song that people recognize it will be better, and there are a lot more famous songs with vocals than without. I am also planning on playing originals that I have written over the years.

I'll have an amp, a multi FX pedal, and a looper. I will probably use an iPod for backing tracks if I need.

Also, what would you guys saying about improvising over a jam track? I know that can get a bit boring, but it could work. Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Aug 18 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Also, if you guys know any songs that would sound full and complete without a backing track, please let me know smile.gif Kind of like this one..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 18 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

That's a beautiful track by Buckethead. smile.gif He has many songs played only with his guitar.

I think that adapting a popular song and adding your style to it, maybe some improvised parts to make you yours is a good idea. Pat Metheny has done something similar with this track and I think that it's amazing:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 19 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Hey Taka - you should alternate famous songs with short (2-3 minutes) smooth backing tracks or you could make a list of emotions which go well with the time of the day in which you will perform smile.gif

Evening - some nice relaxing atmospheric stuff - especially if you are in a seaside region

For instance - that's how I'd make my playlist based on:

- where am I going
- what sort of people will abound there
- what hour will I perform at

What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Aug 19 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 19 2013, 06:44 PM) *
Hey Taka - you should alternate famous songs with short (2-3 minutes) smooth backing tracks or you could make a list of emotions which go well with the time of the day in which you will perform smile.gif

Evening - some nice relaxing atmospheric stuff - especially if you are in a seaside region

For instance - that's how I'd make my playlist based on:

- where am I going
- what sort of people will abound there
- what hour will I perform at

What do you think?

Awesome ideas Cosmin. Thanks for sharing. My busking set will be 3 hours, and will be from the evening into the night. I agree with the atmospheric stuff. That actually really works out with my musical tastes smile.gif

I've still got about a month until I'm busking (I'm doing 4th October), but I think it's good to think about these things well beforehand. I'm keeping a list of songs I can play in a little notepad, that way I can have my ideas in a central place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 20 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 19 2013, 09:35 AM) *
Awesome ideas Cosmin. Thanks for sharing. My busking set will be 3 hours, and will be from the evening into the night. I agree with the atmospheric stuff. That actually really works out with my musical tastes smile.gif

I've still got about a month until I'm busking (I'm doing 4th October), but I think it's good to think about these things well beforehand. I'm keeping a list of songs I can play in a little notepad, that way I can have my ideas in a central place.

That's very good man - planning thoroughly has always helped me juggle efficiently enough with the many activities that make up my life smile.gif

Now, another interesting thing - this sort of instrumentals - meaning the ones emulating famous pop songs with very strong and melodic vocal lines will bring you a lot of success smile.gif

Check this out and try to make a wide selection of 'hits' tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Aug 20 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 20 2013, 08:52 PM) *
That's very good man - planning thoroughly has always helped me juggle efficiently enough with the many activities that make up my life smile.gif

Now, another interesting thing - this sort of instrumentals - meaning the ones emulating famous pop songs with very strong and melodic vocal lines will bring you a lot of success smile.gif

Check this out and try to make a wide selection of 'hits' tongue.gif

That is great man, I really liked the emotion in that guitar. I prefer that side of guitar over virtuosity smile.gif I'll build up a repertoire in the coming weeks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 07:58 PM