> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Caelumamittendum's Technique Builder
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 12 2013, 01:25 AM
Post #101

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

Thanks, Cosmin! And Booyah, I just broke through the speed barrier! I haven't been able to break past 140 bpm, but now I'm at 150 bpm! WOOO!

16th notes that is.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 12 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #102

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey amigo! I see that you are in a better shape - spiritually, first and foremost smile.gif

What's on the agenda? What are you working on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 12 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #103

Learning Rock Star

I've just been working on some very simple exercises to get me in better shape. Some from old times, some Petrucci exercises, some from Toni Lloret's book "Exercises for the modern guitarist" I think it's called.

Besides that I've been trying to tackle Muris' https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/writin...o-strong_notes/ , but the last two bars are giving me some trouble.

But primarily I've been focusing on small exercises that are comprehendible and that could get my technique better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 13 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #104

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 12 2013, 01:34 PM) *
I've just been working on some very simple exercises to get me in better shape. Some from old times, some Petrucci exercises, some from Toni Lloret's book "Exercises for the modern guitarist" I think it's called.

Besides that I've been trying to tackle Muris' https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/writin...o-strong_notes/ , but the last two bars are giving me some trouble.

But primarily I've been focusing on small exercises that are comprehendible and that could get my technique better.

Interesting lesson smile.gif I watched the final two bars and I'd be curious to see your take on those bars, so that I may know what to suggest in respect to improving things wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 19 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #105

Learning Rock Star

I've not played the lesson for a while, but I'll try and record something tonight.

On a not so related note, my first goal for writing music would be something in the style of Darkstar:

I'm just really struggling with writing anything these days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 19 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #106

Instructor
Group Icon

Alright! Looking forward to the video wink.gif Now, about songwriting - there's a lot of stuff to talk about so - a little movie, would be appropriate here smile.gif easier than writing wink.gif

Here ya go - my thoughts smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 19 2013, 06:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 20 2013, 05:30 PM
Post #107

Learning Rock Star

Here's the video:

I apologize for the angle. I had placed my webcam in a new position and I'm still trying to figure out what's best.

As on how I write music. I used to just have it all in my head - everything, every instrument. And then I would write it down in Guitar Pro, but never move on from there and record it. Then I tried a bit of a different approach with an in between of Guitar Pro and recording while writing, and that's how I came up with the orchestral thing I've shown before. I ended up more or less writing that in Cubase as I went along.

These days however I can come up with some nice little melody or riff or intro, but then I can't go on from there. It could be something like these two, which aren't totally well played, mind you... and they're probably a bit sinister in mood:

But then I don't know how to go on from there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 22 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #108

Instructor
Group Icon

Howdy Ben! I think that the solo is good, but in the last part it kind of loses direction a bit - you could find some stronger phrases, maybe more formula based?

In respect to the two ideas - I will come back with a video today and talk to you about the importance of drums smile.gif Stay tuned!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 22 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #109

Learning Rock Star

The solo wasn't my own, it was from this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/writin...o-strong_notes/

There are still some things to work on I guess for the REC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 23 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #110

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 22 2013, 11:46 AM) *
The solo wasn't my own, it was from this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/writin...o-strong_notes/

There are still some things to work on I guess for the REC.

Ha! I had the impression that you were working on a solo of your own and got caught up with spotting things laugh.gif Silly me! biggrin.gif

Well, mate, here's what I have in mind regarding the parts you shared which have nice potential, but it's time to put them to good use:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 27 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #111

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the advice, Cosmin. I'll definitely keep it in mind when trying to write something. I'm a bit quick to discard ideas as well when it comes to writing. I want everything to be perfect, and I want it at first go. Now I know that that ain't never happening, but I can't help but get down when it doesn't really work out.

By the way, how was the "writing a solo" take of Muris' lesson? Ready to go to the Rec?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 28 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #112

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 27 2013, 10:08 AM) *
Thanks for the advice, Cosmin. I'll definitely keep it in mind when trying to write something. I'm a bit quick to discard ideas as well when it comes to writing. I want everything to be perfect, and I want it at first go. Now I know that that ain't never happening, but I can't help but get down when it doesn't really work out.

By the way, how was the "writing a solo" take of Muris' lesson? Ready to go to the Rec?

Hey Ben!

Since we both know that, you could step out of the comfort zone and try the different approach - accept that IT CAN'T GO RIGHT from the first shot smile.gif Build things from the ground up. It took us 3 years to release the first Days of Confusion EP and we had the patience to write/arrange the songs without letting ourselves brought down because some things didn't come out as we would've wished, right away.

In respect to the recording .. hmmm, I am not particularly fond of what's going on after 0:30 -> it seems a bit mechanically played, so I would suggest a bit more interpreting on that part - listen to Muris' interpretation overall and try the dynamics and especially the more precise timing in that part that I brought into attention smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 28 2013, 09:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Dec 26 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #113

Learning Rock Star

I've completely lost my discipline and everything regarding guitar. I'm blaming winter and lack of wanting to do anything at all. When's spring coming!?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 26 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #114

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 26 2013, 06:14 PM) *
I've completely lost my discipline and everything regarding guitar. I'm blaming winter and lack of wanting to do anything at all. When's spring coming!?

When you will call it mate smile.gif I can make you accountable to me, but if you feel no pleasure in playing, it's not really the right thing to do. I don't think that winter is responsible smile.gif What is it REALLY that you want from music? biggrin.gif Maybe it's time to figure out what that is, as it's a shame not to put your skills to serve our great Lady Music smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Dec 27 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #115

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 26 2013, 11:19 PM) *
When you will call it mate smile.gif I can make you accountable to me, but if you feel no pleasure in playing, it's not really the right thing to do. I don't think that winter is responsible smile.gif What is it REALLY that you want from music? biggrin.gif Maybe it's time to figure out what that is, as it's a shame not to put your skills to serve our great Lady Music smile.gif

I'd just like to be able to reach a level where I can create music the way I'd like it. But that may be djent-level or similar. I still want to write something based around Dante's Divine Comedy, which I started with that classical piece I showed long ago.

How would it work if I was accountable to you? I do still feel pleasure in playing, I'm just always struggling with concentration and motivation.

On another note, I'm actually gonna start singing lessons on the 6th of January. Beginner lessons this time. Last time around when I chickened out it wasn't actually beginner level. So much more comfortable with it now. And then I'm starting some guitar lessons on the 7th and mixing techniques on the 8th. So maybe all of that will get me motivated again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 27 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #116

Instructor
Group Icon

Alright man smile.gif It's very good! Now - making yourself accountable to me, could mean that I would become the guy that sets a deadline and you need to respect it and give your absolute best to make things shine! It's like I am the producer and you are the artist = ARE YOU READY WITH THE NEW ALBUM? smile.gif

For me, always having deadlines, worked fine smile.gif I always started early so that I wouldn't find myself in the situation in which I would go bananas and not finish on time, so most of the times - 90% it all went well. Have you ever tried that? For me, a deadline can mean, an album release date or a big gig - I always make sure to announce the dates in public and book venues so that things will keep rolling smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 6 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #117

Learning Rock Star

Maybe deadlines will work. I'm not really sure. I need to figure out why I sometimes find it less fun to play guitar. The contest made me want to play and the results made me pick up my guitar almost immediately. I like that friendly competitiveness. That's why I've also sometimes wondered if it would be a good idea to try and find a practice buddy who's around the same level as me. Or above for that matter. Something to strive for.

On another note, I just spent the last 30 minutes practicing Guitar Loves Piano. I saw it in the REC zone and I'd never heard the lesson before, but it's really fun to play. Still needs some work, but this is what I'm at so far:

I don't know what's going on with my sound. It seems kinda funky in the video. I'm also still looking at the tabs while recording tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 6 2014, 04:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 7 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #118

Instructor
Group Icon

Hmmm smile.gif We have times when the guitar just doesn't seem like the first thing we'd want to do, so as I said before, I totally understand the feeling. Sometimes, I starve myself of guitar intentionally just to get the most out of my sessions smile.gif Sounds weird, eh?

Anyway, motivation to play should be intrinsic - I for one want to be able to express myself and that's why I'm practicing. I feel burned out sometimes because of other things I need to work on, but the desire is always there with me and I take advantage every time. I think that one solution would be to choose your favorite lessons and work together on them smile.gif There's the fun factor, you also evolve and you have someone who keeps an eye on the progress smile.gif

About the lesson - it is visible that you are still reading the tabs due to the fact that you are a bit delayed in comparison to the original phrasing biggrin.gif smile.gif You should take the time to memorize it first and forget the tabs. How bout another take after you have memorized the piece? I want to compare the two biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 6 2014, 03:41 PM) *
Maybe deadlines will work. I'm not really sure. I need to figure out why I sometimes find it less fun to play guitar. The contest made me want to play and the results made me pick up my guitar almost immediately. I like that friendly competitiveness. That's why I've also sometimes wondered if it would be a good idea to try and find a practice buddy who's around the same level as me. Or above for that matter. Something to strive for.

On another note, I just spent the last 30 minutes practicing Guitar Loves Piano. I saw it in the REC zone and I'd never heard the lesson before, but it's really fun to play. Still needs some work, but this is what I'm at so far:

I don't know what's going on with my sound. It seems kinda funky in the video. I'm also still looking at the tabs while recording tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 7 2014, 01:02 PM
Post #119

Learning Rock Star

I'll give it a go without looking at the tabs while playing. I should be able to remember it all by now.

On another note, as you mentioned in the competition thread; contests definitely make me tick and makes me want to practice, but this one was a bit special as it was "less is more" and a levelled playing field for everyone. Youtube contests and what not have players far, far beyond my skill level.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 8 2014, 09:41 AM
Post #120

Instructor
Group Icon

Well now smile.gif I am looking forward to seeing that one done and also, regarding the competitions - aside from the GMC collabs, you could try to enter some other competitions, but aim for the ones which don't focus on technical abilities, but on musical ones. I think you have enough technique to be able to come up with complex ideas without too much fuss, but the musical side should be your aim. I really think that you have chances of winning in virtually every situation out there, IF you are musical and catchy and your take has a certain direction and flow, regardless of the fact that you didn't play 500 notes/second wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 08:05 PM