> To Thumb Or Not To Thumb
Caelumamittendum
post Sep 6 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #21

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 6 2013, 01:12 PM) *
Many of the leather straps use holes to regulate the length. These for example http://planetbass.com/wp-content/gallery/l...0_tan_large.jpg use slits. These use holes https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q..._gP8puBCvj-bTBQ .

Wow, that's weird. I've never seen those kinda straps before laugh.gif

I have two or three of these and other non-name similar ones:

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Sep 6 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 6 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Half the crowd is me tripping on caffeine laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Doesn't matter.. whatever keeps the thread going ! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Sep 6 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

You can use the strap even while sitting - it will work smilar to the "classical" position....but...the whole deal is to be able to play also in some "less comfortable" positions. When You practice something while You have not a perfect reach to the highest frets (or simialr issues), then You create some special habits like how to angle the hands etc. Position determines the way You practice. I'm afraid some hands pain caused by Your job is a regular issue which reason of, You've already named - type of work You have. I had some problem when I was doing some bike riding. My friend pianist had simialar thoughts.

For me best way to relax the hand is equaly inscreasing the playing strength with some breaks between practice session...First of all it's a relax that is needed and with bad practice routine You can harm yourself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 7 2013, 01:16 AM
Post #24

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.014

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 6 2013, 10:11 AM) *
You can use the strap even while sitting - it will work smilar to the "classical" position....but...the whole deal is to be able to play also in some "less comfortable" positions. When You practice something while You have not a perfect reach to the highest frets (or simialr issues), then You create some special habits like how to angle the hands etc. Position determines the way You practice. I'm afraid some hands pain caused by Your job is a regular issue which reason of, You've already named - type of work You have. I had some problem when I was doing some bike riding. My friend pianist had simialar thoughts.

For me best way to relax the hand is equaly inscreasing the playing strength with some breaks between practice session...First of all it's a relax that is needed and with bad practice routine You can harm yourself.

Well thanks! I have noticed that past the 15th fret my thumb must stay on top because my hand will lock up against the body.

I guess that I need to relax as much as possible before playing and making an effort to watch how I play the hard to reach places?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 7 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 7 2013, 12:16 AM) *
Well thanks! I have noticed that past the 15th fret my thumb must stay on top because my hand will lock up against the body.

I guess that I need to relax as much as possible before playing and making an effort to watch how I play the hard to reach places?

Mate, I will try to make a movie for ya - regarding the postures biggrin.gif I got an idea - it's about various situations concerning the left and right hand smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 7 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #26

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2013, 05:39 AM) *
Mate, I will try to make a movie for ya - regarding the postures biggrin.gif I got an idea - it's about various situations concerning the left and right hand smile.gif

That would be sweeeeet!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 9 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 7 2013, 01:46 PM) *
That would be sweeeeet!

And here we are:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Sep 9 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #28

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2013, 06:26 PM) *
And here we are:

Nice video, Cosmin!

On a side note, I remember John Petrucci speaking about why he got the steel boxes on stage. It allows him to put his left foot on one of those and play in classical position during more difficult parts of songs. Perhaps it's a bit of a "cheat", but a composition is a composition and if it's good I don't care if you have to stand on your head in a clown costume to play it laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 10 2013, 04:01 AM
Post #29

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2013, 12:26 PM) *
And here we are:

Just watched the video, thanks! The 45 degree angle I was not aware of. I'm going to do a bit of practicing with it and let you know how it works out. It's really nice the time you've taken with me on this site. Mucho Appreciation!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Sep 10 2013, 08:50 AM
Post #30

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 9 2013, 07:38 PM) *
On a side note, I remember John Petrucci speaking about why he got the steel boxes on stage. It allows him to put his left foot on one of those and play in classical position during more difficult parts of songs. Perhaps it's a bit of a "cheat", but a composition is a composition and if it's good I don't care if you have to stand on your head in a clown costume to play it laugh.gif

Very interesting point.. and I don't blame him. DT songs and Petrucci's parts are not known for their ease biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 10 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 9 2013, 06:38 PM) *
Nice video, Cosmin!

There's no such thing as cheating in music, because it's not a sport or a competition smile.gif As you said, if you have to do something in order to achieve success in a musical endeavor, by all means, do it - clown costume? NO PROBLEM!

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 10 2013, 03:01 AM) *
Just watched the video, thanks! The 45 degree angle I was not aware of. I'm going to do a bit of practicing with it and let you know how it works out. It's really nice the time you've taken with me on this site. Mucho Appreciation!

Glad I could help mate - for me, that 45 degrees angle, is very useful in respect to the angles between the forearm, the neck and the imaginary line that connects them - together they should create an equilateral triangle - can you see it? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Sep 10 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Ha ha Cosmin! Your movie icon looks like an icon of a "for grown-ups" movie...I'm scared to push the play button ha ha smile.gif)))

I found that unless You have Your guitar directly under Your neck, then many of stretched arpeggios and sweep are still an issue smile.gif Some people do make "more flat" fingers shape in the higher positions smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 11 2013, 09:21 AM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 10 2013, 12:27 PM) *
Ha ha Cosmin! Your movie icon looks like an icon of a "for grown-ups" movie...I'm scared to push the play button ha ha smile.gif)))

I found that unless You have Your guitar directly under Your neck, then many of stretched arpeggios and sweep are still an issue smile.gif Some people do make "more flat" fingers shape in the higher positions smile.gif

D-man, I assure you, I haven't done anything immoral in there laugh.gif It's only good clean guitar playing biggrin.gif I also remembered an interview with Billy Sheehan - he was clearly stating that your instrument should stay at the same height when you sit or when you stand - that will ofer the perfect consistency in performance - it's at minute 03:50 but the whole darn thing is worth watching, because he speaks so many true things which a lot of people choose to ignore smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017 - 04:47 AM