18 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
liveOASISforever
post Jun 22 2014, 08:11 AM
Post #301

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.844

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 21 2014, 05:41 PM) *
Always a pleasure mate wink.gif Let me know how it goes with those last two phrases in videos 6 and 7 - they are not as tricky as they seem, once you understand the rhythmic pattern biggrin.gif

This lesson will be very helpful for learning how to deal with rhythmic subdivisions in the context of rhythm playing:

- open string riffing
- phrase ending formulas - which I think are those parts you were having trouble with - correct? smile.gif

Let me know how it goes, mate wink.gif

Things are going good Cosmin. I just need to get part 6 and 7 nailed and I will be ready for a take.

In the lesson statistics section I found who had done a REC of the lesson.TimmyB had done a REC and had a full length backing track. So I sent him a PM asking how he got it and he had just recorded it from his computer and was kind enough to send me the file so I will be able to record a take with the backing track smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 22 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #302

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey mate, I was just about to tell you to write a PM to our site admin - Bogdan Radovic, as he knows best how and what is to be done in situations such as these, but Tim can surely send you the backing if he has it. He's one very talented dude and a great guy to talk and work with!

Looking forward to your questions and vids wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 23 2014, 12:06 PM
Post #303

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.437

Hi Cosmin, here is a recording over the original. Ben plays left I play right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 24 2014, 07:11 AM
Post #304

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 23 2014, 11:06 AM) *
Hi Cosmin, here is a recording over the original. Ben plays left I play right.

Hey mate! Very nice!! Nicely articulated and in good timing smile.gif

I think I may notice a slight tendency to play the last note in each group of 16th notes a bit weaker than the others - that is occurring due to the fact that you are trying to move your hand faster towards the next note you have to play the 16th notes on. If you fix this little detail, everything will be great wink.gif

What say you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 24 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #305

Ok. Working on it. Thanks

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 24 2014, 08:11 AM) *
Hey mate! Very nice!! Nicely articulated and in good timing smile.gif

I think I may notice a slight tendency to play the last note in each group of 16th notes a bit weaker than the others - that is occurring due to the fact that you are trying to move your hand faster towards the next note you have to play the 16th notes on. If you fix this little detail, everything will be great wink.gif

What say you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 24 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #306

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 24 2014, 06:40 AM) *
Ok. Working on it. Thanks

Anytime, man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 24 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #307

Hi Cosmin

Here is where I am at with the Palm muting lesson. Parts 6 and 7 of the lesson I am still working them up to 102 Bpm. As far as the actual rhythm goes to they parts it is pretty straight forward.

So in this video parts 6 and 7 are not included I will update when I get them up to speed smile.gif

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Jun 24 2014, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 25 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #308

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 24 2014, 02:13 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Here is where I am at with the Palm muting lesson. Parts 6 and 7 of the lesson I am still working them up to 102 Bpm. As far as the actual rhythm goes to they parts it is pretty straight forward.

So in this video parts 6 and 7 are not included I will update when I get them up to speed smile.gif

Howdy mate! It seems like you nailed everything down, which is very good wink.gif Now, until you get 6 and 7 up to speed, I would like to talk to you a bit about tightness and syncing with the drums:

- please observe your right hand movement - it is a bit too large and this can be a reason for which syncing with the left hand is problematic
- your pick angle should be a bit more inclined towards the neck - now it's a bit flat and it will hinder your picking movement a bit - the main idea is to decrease the pick surface hitting the string, by angling the pick forward, in order to be able to move easier when picking wink.gif
- slow down the parts in which you play 16th notes, as they are a bit sluggish in respect to timing and they don't sound tight with the backing - see minute 0:28 and 0:33 for instance.

Let's fix these details and we'll take it form here, deal?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 25 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #309

Hi Cosmin

Thanks for thew feedback smile.gif

I do feel the straight 16th note parts are not tight. It is slightly to fast for me and I feel myself trying to force them which just creates tension in my hand.

As far as the pick angle I understand the need to decrease the pick surface hitting the strings but I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by angling the pick forward.

Here is some photos of what I think you mean

My normal way of picking
Attached Image

Rotating the pick toward the neck allowing the side of pick to glide over the strings easier
Attached Image

Have I got this right or have I completely misunderstood

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 26 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #310

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey bro! Thank you VERY MUCH for the pics biggrin.gif They allowed me to better understand what's happening and here's what I was talking about:

Notice how the thumb is slightly bent in order to create the pick angle?

Attached Image

Attached Image

I would strongly recommend this lesson on alternate picking from Darius as well: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/ and practice with the slow backing until you can be comfortable with playing without tension at each speed level. Playing relaxed is a crucial aspect and you should become very aware of the signs that your body is transmitting smile.gif

Please let me know what ya think mate!

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 26 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #311

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 26 2014, 08:21 AM) *
Hey bro! Thank you VERY MUCH for the pics biggrin.gif They allowed me to better understand what's happening and here's what I was talking about:

Notice how the thumb is slightly bent in order to create the pick angle?

Attached Image

Attached Image

I would strongly recommend this lesson on alternate picking from Darius as well: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/ and practice with the slow backing until you can be comfortable with playing without tension at each speed level. Playing relaxed is a crucial aspect and you should become very aware of the signs that your body is transmitting smile.gif

Please let me know what ya think mate!

Cosmin

I see what you mean mate smile.gif

Great lesson from Darius packed with great information

The way I was picking before was actually creating tension just holding my arm still. By changing it the tension has went away witch is great. I have uploaded a little video of me trying to adjust to the new way. I still don't have a angle as big as the one in your picture but I am trying to become more comfortable with it and then will increase it if need be. The accuracy isn't great in this video but it is just for you check that I am doing it properly or if I need to change anything

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 27 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #312

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey maan! biggrin.gif

Hehe! I am so glad you had this revelation about the angle and position! Good going and I think it already looks a lot better! There are two more important things to know:

- focus on making small movements with the right hand smile.gif The less you move, the faster and more accurate you will be! So work on executing small movements at slow speeds and keep the same spirit when you raise speed as well.
- the angle is something adjustable - if you pick with a more pronounced angle, the tone will be more aggressive and the more parallel the pick becomes in respect to the strings, the cleaner the tone will be. So it's all up to you to decide what you wish from your axe, being aware of the repercussions of the angle used.

Let me know if you are cool and if there are more questions, I'm happy to help smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 28 2014, 05:25 AM
Post #313

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 27 2014, 08:19 AM) *
Hey maan! biggrin.gif

Hehe! I am so glad you had this revelation about the angle and position! Good going and I think it already looks a lot better! There are two more important things to know:

- focus on making small movements with the right hand smile.gif The less you move, the faster and more accurate you will be! So work on executing small movements at slow speeds and keep the same spirit when you raise speed as well.
- the angle is something adjustable - if you pick with a more pronounced angle, the tone will be more aggressive and the more parallel the pick becomes in respect to the strings, the cleaner the tone will be. So it's all up to you to decide what you wish from your axe, being aware of the repercussions of the angle used.

Let me know if you are cool and if there are more questions, I'm happy to help smile.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif

I am putting a lot of practice in with this and its feeling better already.When I used to try and do pinch harmonics I would angle the pick round this way to do them. Then change the angle back to my old way of picking I always thought that it felt weird. Now I know why smile.gif

I will keep you updated with how I am getting on with the Palm Muting lesson.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 28 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #314

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 28 2014, 04:25 AM) *
Thanks mate smile.gif

I am putting a lot of practice in with this and its feeling better already.When I used to try and do pinch harmonics I would angle the pick round this way to do them. Then change the angle back to my old way of picking I always thought that it felt weird. Now I know why smile.gif

I will keep you updated with how I am getting on with the Palm Muting lesson.

Hehe! See mate, it's amazing to find yourself in that moment when it all clicks biggrin.gif I am glad it worked out for ya and I am looking forward to see more recordings. Please let me know if i can help out along the way, in the mean time wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 1 2014, 04:24 PM
Post #315

Hi Cosmin,

Little update here. I'm still working on the AP lesson. It's getting close now. Tried to record it today, but today I was just not playing very well. I will try it again later this week.

Jeroen

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 2 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #316

Instructor
Group Icon

I know what you mean man! There are those days in which you can barely do something.. I had such a week starting since last Wednesday up until Saturday or Sunday. I couldn't sleep properly and that reflected into everything I did. Now I am feeling a lot better and I can put time into my usual things.

Whenever this sort of bad state of mind occurs, try doing doing something different than what you are usually doing:

- play the acoustic guitar - it brings immense joy. It is a whole different instrument than the electric and it will help you focus more on the idea of playing a song rather than techniques and all that.
- try to sing while playing - some Beatles songs can always work out wink.gif Easy enough to sing and play, but nice in the same time.
- if the guitar is not appealing, play with your pets, if you have some. They usually take away bad energy and leave you clean smile.gif It may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it's actually not. Animals have a great power over energy - 10 minutes playing with my two dogs are usually getting the job done smile.gif These are just a few suggestions, but maybe you already have something that boosts your energy levels up, when needed. Do you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 4 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #317

I grabbed my acoustic Cort Earth 70 NS and played 'So Far Away' (Avenged Sevenfold) and tried to sing along. Very nice how it gives me a different energy. Thanks Cos.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 2 2014, 08:28 AM) *
I know what you mean man! There are those days in which you can barely do something.. I had such a week starting since last Wednesday up until Saturday or Sunday. I couldn't sleep properly and that reflected into everything I did. Now I am feeling a lot better and I can put time into my usual things.

Whenever this sort of bad state of mind occurs, try doing doing something different than what you are usually doing:

- play the acoustic guitar - it brings immense joy. It is a whole different instrument than the electric and it will help you focus more on the idea of playing a song rather than techniques and all that.
- try to sing while playing - some Beatles songs can always work out wink.gif Easy enough to sing and play, but nice in the same time.
- if the guitar is not appealing, play with your pets, if you have some. They usually take away bad energy and leave you clean smile.gif It may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it's actually not. Animals have a great power over energy - 10 minutes playing with my two dogs are usually getting the job done smile.gif These are just a few suggestions, but maybe you already have something that boosts your energy levels up, when needed. Do you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 5 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #318

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 4 2014, 06:03 PM) *
I grabbed my acoustic Cort Earth 70 NS and played 'So Far Away' (Avenged Sevenfold) and tried to sing along. Very nice how it gives me a different energy. Thanks Cos.

Oh, oh, that one biggrin.gif I also play it with a student here in Bucharest who's a big fan of AX7X and we have devised an acoustic version using the key of F#m and a lot of open string positions, so that it may sound a lot brighter and fresher than the original. It's a nice and emotive song! smile.gif

What other tunes do you like to play on the acoustic guitar?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 8 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #319

Hi Cosmin,

Here's another take on my picking hand basics. What do you think? Is it good enough for a rec take?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 8 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #320

Instructor
Group Icon

Howdy Jeroen! smile.gif I think it's all very nice, with the sole exception of the triplet part, which still needs your focus. It is ALMOST there - just a bit off balance. You can try the following exercise in order to make things happen:

- set a metronome track to a tempo similar to this track
- tap your foot to the quarter notes and count loud 1,2,3, 1, 2,3, 1,2,3, 1,2,3
- each '1' has to fall exactly on the quarter note, while the 2,3 have to be of equal length and cover the quarter note's length
- in lesser words, you have to stick 3 equal notes over each quarter note

If you manage to count like that, your ears will be acquainted to the sound of the triplets and thus, you will be far more able to gain the needed balance when playing that specific part smile.gif Please try it and let me know how it feels, ok?

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 08:38 AM