Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Amp Should I Get?
SpaseMoonkey
post Sep 9 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.764

Egnator, that may be another amp to look at. Fantastic cleans all the way to a nice bluesy tone then over to some Ac/Dc sounds. First tube amp I owned. I do believe they have an XLR out for recording.

But I also have to agree with the plug-in route. I use a multi-effect head ( laugh.gif don't think I'd call it a pedal) I love it. I can play it via speakers or headphones and either way I'm happy. That is honestly all that matters.

As always you can demo plug-ins which is great. Tons upon tons of choices, revalver, guitar rig, TH2, ignite amps, and so on. Then you can even add an IR cab to get speaker simulation. Some tweaking and you'd never know it was software doing the work for you.

Can't remember but didn't Meshuggah do use a Cubase VST on the last album? So there ya go even touring bands use that route. cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Amp , Mesa Mark 5:25

My YouTube Page.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 9 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #22

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.014

Hopefully the winds see it to blow that amp my direction. Wow

+Quote Post
verciazghra
post Sep 10 2013, 08:41 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 18.475

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Sep 9 2013, 04:33 PM) *
Egnator, that may be another amp to look at. Fantastic cleans all the way to a nice bluesy tone then over to some Ac/Dc sounds. First tube amp I owned. I do believe they have an XLR out for recording.

But I also have to agree with the plug-in route. I use a multi-effect head ( laugh.gif don't think I'd call it a pedal) I love it. I can play it via speakers or headphones and either way I'm happy. That is honestly all that matters.

As always you can demo plug-ins which is great. Tons upon tons of choices, revalver, guitar rig, TH2, ignite amps, and so on. Then you can even add an IR cab to get speaker simulation. Some tweaking and you'd never know it was software doing the work for you.

Can't remember but didn't Meshuggah do use a Cubase VST on the last album? So there ya go even touring bands use that route. cool.gif

Yes Meshuggah used VST Amp Rack which comes with cubase 6 and 7.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 10 2013, 03:41 PM
Post #24

Learning Rock Star

Hey Todd do the Th2 presets work with the h&k redbox?

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 10 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #25

Learning Rock Star

Sorry I had redbox misunderstood, I thought it had presets built in.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 10 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

REDBOX is a really spiff Direct Box. So it's for running direct recording out of the head, in to some sort of audio interface then to the computer. TH2 is a plugin/standalone emulator so you can run it by itself or in a DAW like reaper but it's just a piece of software so it requires you get your signal in to the computer before it can process it.

So sadly no.

The two are separate systems entirely. The tubemeisters currently don't have any audio interface in them as far as I know. So you have to come out of the unit in to some sort of audio interface to get in to your computer.

So if you already have an interface, you can just skip the head and use amplitude/overloud/etc. Or you can run through the head first then in to your interface. But doing so defeats the point of using plugins. Plugins allow you to change the settings on your signal AFTER you record. If you record with gain from a head, it's "baked in" to the signal. make sense?

P.S. Just so I don't miss any questions, try to shoot me a PM when you have a question for me in particular smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 10 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Hey Todd do the Th2 presets work with the h&k redbox?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Sep 11 2013, 08:09 AM
Post #27

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.500

If you're willing to venture into the software/emulation world, you will get a lot of flexibility at a relatively low price. I believe Todd is a big user of Overloud TH2, and I'm a big user of another amp sim called Headcase. There's so many sounds you can dial in with these software. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Sep 11 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #28

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 11 2013, 03:09 AM) *
If you're willing to venture into the software/emulation world, you will get a lot of flexibility at a relatively low price. I believe Todd is a big user of Overloud TH2, and I'm a big user of another amp sim called Headcase. There's so many sounds you can dial in with these software. smile.gif

Thank you ill check it out as well

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 11 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

You can install all the demos one after the other and see which you like wink.gif The AMPLITUDE base plugin is free then you can add individual amps/fx and such through the in app store which is handy. Each has a character of it's own smile.gif It does sometimes help to put a tube screamer in front of your recording interface to either drive the signal or turn the tone knob up to tighten up the signal, but as Taka has mentioned before you can approximate this in software as well. You can even STACK plugins so using amplitude as a preamp for TH2 or what not wink.gif Just be careful on your gain staging. I have used one as a clean boost in a given channel strip/track and then the next one for gain. I often use a foot pedal or direct box to drive the preamp but that isn't always neeeded. Experimentation is key smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 11 2013, 05:47 AM) *
Thank you ill check it out as well

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 12:27 AM