> Misha Muting Tecnique
Todd Simpson
post Sep 20 2013, 04:44 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Here is a screen grab of Misha Mansoor (Periphery) during some palm muting. It's a good example of placing the hand so that it can cover the strings and not let sympathetic vibrations wreck things and make string noise. Take a look at his fingers on his right hand as well. He's extending the pinky a bit to keep the edge of the palm flatter/straighter to cover more of the bridge. It's the approach that I'm often trying to explain in vid chat. Good mute Misha!!!

Attached Image

P.S. He's using his iPad during this recording with JamUp Pro XT running Ola Englunds amp presets.
In the old days, this kind of tone required a tube amp that cost as much as my car smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 20 2013, 04:57 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 25 2013, 02:31 AM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Has anyone else tried JAM UP PRO on a tablet or mobile device?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2013, 11:44 PM) *
Here is a screen grab of Misha Mansoor (Periphery) during some palm muting. It's a good example of placing the hand so that it can cover the strings and not let sympathetic vibrations wreck things and make string noise. Take a look at his fingers on his right hand as well. He's extending the pinky a bit to keep the edge of the palm flatter/straighter to cover more of the bridge. It's the approach that I'm often trying to explain in vid chat. Good mute Misha!!!

Attached Image

P.S. He's using his iPad during this recording with JamUp Pro XT running Ola Englunds amp presets.
In the old days, this kind of tone required a tube amp that cost as much as my car smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 25 2013, 09:45 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Thanks for the vid man - I was always impressed with the tightness of Misha's muting - I guess there's a lot of editing and noise gates in there as well tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
post Sep 25 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 16.462

He has an awesome rig with 2 Axe Fx and still decides to use the Ipad?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Sep 26 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Time to make a huge refresh in our knowlege about the tone and get rid of some "placebo" high class gear. Same thing with Chinesse products. They do make some garbage same as some good stuff in the mid-range prices. People need to rethink all from the exact beginning - there is a tone...You like it or not, no matter what;s is the cost or brand smile.gif

As for the Misha - he also seems to hold the pick similar to Ola but this is not what I would "borrow" from his playing tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 01:52 PM