Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rocksmith 2014
Socky42
post Oct 24 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.762

Okay, i've tried the game for about an hour.

As someone that's been playing guitar for a few years, it's hit and miss.

When your learning songs, they take notes out and put them in as you 'master' the section, honestly it makes learning songs even harder since I can kinda play already. laugh.gif If you get stuck on a section, you'll end up playing it over and over and your muscle memory will mess up whatever new notes they decide to throw in. Hanger 18 is in this game and I don't see how learning a song like that in this fashion will really help, would rather just slowly learn the full thing from the start.

Lessons are aimed at beginner's mostly, little bit of intermediate. They're okay I guess, they give you a little 'song' at the end of each section for the game to judge you on.

The Guitarcade is fun and a good homage to classic games but again, hit and miss. I can kinda see the benefits to playing some of them, theres one where you shoot ducks by hitting the right fret on the right string. Great for learning positioning on the neck without looking at your hands.

Another one called Scale Warriors, where they'll show you a scale on the screen and as an enemy walks over a note, you'll run through some notes of the scale at that point.

Problem is, there's such a big emphasis on points, i'm not exactly 'taking a lot in', even ended up #1 on the scoreboard. laugh.gif

Session Mode works great, just choose a scale and key and what instruments you want in the backing. The band reacts well to the dynamics of your playing, lots of different styles from country to electronic.

Given the technical limitations, it's also really forgiving in what you can get wrong. The guitar tones are mediocre at best especially when compared to Guitar Rig or Overloud.

For what it is, a fun learning tool/distraction, a game, it's great. But as a sole source of information for beginners to get into playing guitar, I just don't agree with some of the teaching methods.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Oct 24 2013, 08:24 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hajduk
post Oct 24 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #22

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 17.670

I have the old version of Rocksmith and don't get me wrong its exciting at first but after a month I put it down! I also find learning a song is hard I don't like the layout of the tab seems very cluttered to me, I don't know if the new version has improved upon that. My favorite mode is the amp mode where I just play what I like through my speakers. Out of the 5 people I know who bought it and were beginners none of them played it more than twice!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 25 2013, 10:28 AM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hehe - great to read opinions from the real users here biggrin.gif

I will never spend a buck on such a thing, if you ask me, but understanding the phenomenon is interesting to me - what would the opinion of people who never ever touched a real instrument be?

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
post Oct 26 2013, 05:58 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18.475

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 25 2013, 09:28 AM) *
Hehe - great to read opinions from the real users here biggrin.gif

I will never spend a buck on such a thing, if you ask me, but understanding the phenomenon is interesting to me - what would the opinion of people who never ever touched a real instrument be?

Rocksmith is played with a real instrument.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Oct 26 2013, 07:55 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 6.965

Well I've played the original and just got the Rocksmith 2014.

I can tell you it's an improvement and ideal for all ages brushing up on some skill areas. I also believe it's more forgiving on beginners and has a smoother learning curve than the previous version - gave my little cousin a go and he had no problems punishing my poor axe for a few hours!

It covers a good deal and makes it fun to learn. Studies how to play and offers suggests where to go next to improve - it's not just a set given lineup, rather shapes completely uniquely to each person. It's more pushing into a teaching platform, rather than just a game.

It also offers an import tool to get the old songs from the original to the new version, which completely confused me as I couldn't find it. However, it did it automatically in the background with no notification, after the 2nd/3rd running of the game - didn't actually have to run anything, just have both games installed and magic occurs when your not looking.

I would recommend it for beginners and immediate level mostly, when you get up to mastery level it starts hiding all the notes from you and forces you to play the entire song completely from memory. At beginner it will reduce the amount of notes to play and slowly add them in over time. Depending on the person this could add or remove a lot of confusion - just go with the flow.

Tone is pretty good for a game - average/poor compared to an actual high quality amp however at least doesn't sound too digital, I'm using active pups and it doesn't mind. No buzz or sound issues, however I've heard others get issues. Just make sure you calibrate your guitar playing loudness, tuning and playing style correctly at the first run of the game and readjust slightly with each song/arcade runs. It's not too hard to do.

Socky42 - Gratz on getting to the top of one of the leaderboards!

EDIT: Oh one thing I didn't like about it, it force installs the uPlay Client (without even asking) and run through that, even if you purchased via Steam. Annoying game clients are annoying...

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 26 2013, 08:08 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 27 2013, 08:16 AM
Post #26

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Oct 26 2013, 04:58 PM) *
Rocksmith is played with a real instrument.

I know man smile.gif I was talking about the people that never touched a guitar before Rocksmith wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
post Oct 27 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 18.475

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 27 2013, 08:16 AM) *
I know man smile.gif I was talking about the people that never touched a guitar before Rocksmith wink.gif

Oh, my bad. smile.gif

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Oct 27 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 6.965

I would say the Rocksmith 2014 is way more ideal for beginners, even those who have never touched a guitar before... It contains beginner tutorial videos, showing everything a newbie needs to know - how to hold it correctly standing or sitting in standard/classic positions, manual/harmonic tuning, finding a note on the fretboard, picking single notes, playing chords, then gets into some more techniques, slides, phasing, hammer-on, pull-offs, harmonics, etc. It was pretty easy for my cousin, who doesn't care much about the guitar except to muck about actually learn a couple of things and jump straight into a basic song.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Oct 27 2013, 06:21 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 28 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Oct 27 2013, 05:18 PM) *
I would say the Rocksmith 2014 is way more ideal for beginners, even those who have never touched a guitar before... It contains beginner tutorial videos, showing everything a newbie needs to know - how to hold it correctly standing or sitting in standard/classic positions, manual/harmonic tuning, finding a note on the fretboard, picking single notes, playing chords, then gets into some more techniques, slides, phasing, hammer-on, pull-offs, harmonics, etc. It was pretty easy for my cousin, who doesn't care much about the guitar except to muck about actually learn a couple of things and jump straight into a basic song.

From this perspective, it sounds pretty ok'ish - especially if you say your cousin hasn't touched a guitar before.

@Vince - no problemmo mate smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 29 2013, 11:47 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I"ve got the cable that goes with the game as an input device from shopping on ebay. It works as a stand alone interface as well. just a cable, plugs in USB and then you can use overloud or what not on your computer. Handy and portable and sounds about the same as a real interface with a bit more signal compression. I think I'll try to rent the game from RED BOX (kiosks here that rent games and DVDs). If it's available smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 30 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

Todd - so, what you're actually saying is that you are plugging a USB cable into the overloud and your guitar and it works like connecting a jack jack cable to an audio interface?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 12:00 PM