4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Made You Want To Play The Guitar?
rokchik
post Jul 6 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.395

Hello everybody! biggrin.gif

Someone asked me the other day why I wanted to play the guitar. Since I started learning, guitar playing has become more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It's all I really want to do when I have spare time. This person knows I have no intentions of joining a band or making a career out of it, so they just thought it was a waste of time...and money. ( especially since I've invested a lot of both into it) And they kind of made it a big deal that I was a female playing guitar. It was an even bigger deal when they realized I was into learning RATM and Led Zeppelin and not playing country all the time or learning some mellow Jewel song. It's a very narrow minded person I'm talking about by the way. This got me thinking about the subject and I figured I pose the question to my fellow GMC'ers especially the ladies.

What made you pick up this glorious instrument and make you want to play?

For me it was nothing more than something I just always wanted to do. I can remember bugging my parents to by me a guitar when I was little but they never would get me one. That longing to learn was always with me. When I turned 28 something clicked...I was getting really close to 30. (All down hill from there... laugh.gif ) and I hadn't really done a lot of the stuff I had hoped to do by the time I was 30. I decided then that I would learn how to play guitar (and go on a Shark dive...was planned for this fall but now is booked for next fall can't wait) and I haven't looked back. I turned 30 in April and I love every minute that I have a guitar in my hand. My only regret is that I never learned sooner.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 6 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.820

i wanted to play it out of curiosity. but when i picked it up i couldnt stop playing it

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.

+Quote Post
SDMF75
post Jul 6 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2.001

My uncle put the headphones on me playing Kiss when I was really young and that started my interest in music. He played guitar and when I was about 11 I started to get the interest up to play Bass but my parents were skeptical that I'd stick with a Bass. So, they took me to my uncles house and he got out his Strat, plugged into his Rockman and let it rip. He asked me me then if I still wanted to play Bass.....I said,"no way, I wanna do that!" I'm almost 32 now and picked it back up after 5 years off and have learned so much more than I expected in the past 3 months since joining GMC. I'm using a Metronome almost every night now and it's helping a ton. I'm no expert with it but I just run through the minor pentatonic scale and Kris' speedpicking exercises to gain endurance. My uncle stressed from the beginning to alternate pick and use my pinky (I listened and practiced it) and I have seen through the years how beneficial it can be. ok, enough rambling!

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jul 6 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

Nothing made me start playing. It was just accidently - i was playing a Croatian game (don't know how to translate the name) which involves throwing metal balls to your target which is a small ball. The one that get's his ball closer to the small ball - wins!

Well i was playing that game against a guitar teacher and i kicked his ass badly! So he told me: "Hey kid, you got some serious touch in your hand! Come to the school and let's see how you will deal with guitar!". He was teaching in the same school my mom is working at. So i came to the lesson and that's where it all started!! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jul 6 2007, 03:52 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

My friend played guitar and at a elementary school assembly he got to play a song and i wanted to do something like that too, so i convinced my parents to get me a begginers guitar, i took some lessions, went from new to terrible and put it down and stopped just because i realised that playing in an assembly was no big deal. maybe 2 years ago i started listening to steve vai stuff and picked my guitar up again to see if i could play that kind of stuff.. no such luck biggrin.gif but i then decided i wanted to and thats what has kept me playing and that fact that now that i can play stuff and write a bit of music and i absolutly love it:D wouldn't trade it for the world and now i want to make my living either playing a guitar or selling guitars. THANKS JOE (friend who played at assembly... he doesn't play anymore) AND MY OWN JELOUSNESS smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
post Jul 6 2007, 04:19 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.632

Two words; Jimi Hendrix

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jul 6 2007, 04:24 AM
Post #7

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

Well, for me, it was just curiosity. But when i started playing it, and listening to my fav songs, i knew i had to play them, and later, i knew i had to become a great guitarist, and im working on that. I plan to become a great guitarist, and hopefully make a nice living out of it. Its my plan for life.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
post Jul 6 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1.951

I originally picked it up when I was 19 (I'm 23 now) and in my 2nd year of university, and it was because I just wanted to have an extracurricular activity to put on my med-school application (med-schools love applicants with buttloads of activities). I started taking lessons, and enjoyed it when I was able to play the basic open chords my teacher showed me, I saw that the payoff from practicing really feels good.

Eventually, I started listening to "Guitar Music" (before I used to listen to punk rock and ska) like Van Halen, and Steve Vai, and Tony MacAlpine and I thought man, I want to be able to play like these guys. Since my guitar teacher wasn't a shredder and could not teach me how to play like those guys, I eventually stopped taking lessons. Problem was that now I was on my own with no guidance on how to get good at guitar (did I mention that I had forgotten about the whole med-school thing now), so I practiced how I thought I should practice for the next year or so; I tried playing Van Halen and Steve Vai songs from the tabs, but of course I couldn't even come close, but nevertheless I still kept trying everyday without any results.

After that year of useless practicing, I thought maybe I should get some instructional material, I ended up getting John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD and Wild-Stringdom book. Those two learning aides changed my view on practicing and guitar in general immensely. I followed John's advice, I started using a metronome, I played everything very slowly at first, started practicing scales etc. and I saw great results, I was actually getting better and better at playing the licks in John's book and video.

I practiced material from John's book and video for about a year, and then one day when I was looking for a tab on ultimate guitar, I stumbled across GMC, I was amazed to find such a great guitar web-site and signed up the next day. The rest is history, I'm improving on guitar everyday, I'm improving very slowly, but at least I'm progressing, and I'm sure I speak for us all at GMC when I say that progressing motivates you to practice even more. I still use John's stuff occasionally, but about 80% of the stuff I practice now comes from GMC, man I love this place! cool.gif
Wow, this was a long post! Thanks to all who were patient enough to read it. smile.gif

P.S. I don't want to go to med school anymore tongue.gif I'm in my last year of university, and hope to go to a music school after I graduate. This is a cool thread rokchik smile.gif

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
JOhn
post Jul 6 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1.933

I don't even know why i started the guitar. After years of being bored of piano i wanted to quit but my dad said i had to play one musical instrument. I think i thought to my self "which is the coolest instrument?" i don't know why but i always thought the guitar would make you cool if you played it so i decided to start guitar. after about a year of playing i decided i would get more serious and started to practice every day. i looked up lots of lesson so i would have lots of stuff to do because my teacher didn't really give me much stuff to practice. Then one day when on UG i found kris's lessons and thought these are pretty good. After watching a few i noticed it said guitarmasteclass in the bottom and thought cool more free lessons. When i got there i noticed you had to pay and instantly asked my dad to sign me up he had a few doubts and gave it a few days to decide. Finally i joined this site and realised i wasn't serious enough and now i practice alot and my parents some times don't like it when i played really early.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Lurgen
post Jul 6 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1.649

In high school I started to learn the piano. Wasn't too bad either, picked it up quite easily and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my younger brother (I'm the oldest child in my family) thought it was totally unfair that I was good at something and he wasn't, and one of my parents laid a (possibly inadvertant) guilt trip on me that made me give it up. They actually asked me to deliberately start playing poorly when he was around.

That put me off music for a long time (over a decade). Maybe it wasn't deliberate, maybe I shoulda just said piss off, but when you're a kid you don't really know how to handle this sort of stuff. You just do what you're told and feel bad about it.

Ever since that time I had been pretending to have no interest in any instrument at all. Except that whenever I heard certain songs I'd desperately want to play the guitar.

It took until I was over 30 before I finally just bit the bullet and bought a guitar. My wife thought I was insane, and I honestly didn't want to tell anyone for the first month or two. My parents didn't find out for almost half a year, and even then I seriously contemplated just not telling them.

I'm not as good with a guitar as I was with a piano, and I suspect I won't ever be brilliant but I truly enjoy it. I just wish I hadn't held back so many years before doing this.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Jul 6 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1.243

I just straight up got sick of air guitar. tongue.gif

Well the real reason would have to be, I was just inspired by great guitarists like slash, evh, jimmy page, clapton, hendrix etc. etc.

With influences like that its hard not to pick up a guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 6 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #12

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

From the age of about 5 I was fascinated by musical instruments. I'd sit at pianos and try to play stuff. We used to go and see my uncle every cristmas amd he had a guitar and would play Buddy Holly songs to me. FInally, when I was about 9, my parents realized it wasnlt just a fad and I deparately wanted to play so they bought me a guitar and I taught myself from a book for a year - anmd made good progress for a 9 year old, I even wrote a song! The next year I started taking guitar lessons at Junior school and I've been playing ever since!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Jul 6 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #13

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.304

I heard Iron Maidens "Brave New World", and wanted to know how they did it. So i started playing, A Month later "Dance Of Death" Comes out, and when i heard "Montsegur", "Dance Of Death" and "Paschendale" i started to really play, i bought as many of there albums as i could, and "Powerslave" made me want to write my own stuff, and bought my first guitar shortly after, previously i was using someone elses.

Then in Summer of 2004, i saw Judas Priest live, that made me start to practice seriously, havent looked back since.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jul 6 2007, 03:34 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jul 6 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #14

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

I was always into music, at first it was the mandatory flute in school in the 70's laugh.gif
Went further to clarinet, from that to the electric organ at about 11 with which I sticked until I was 16 or so. From there up to 20 I didn't play an instrument.

In 1990 I picked up a guitar and it was just by coincident. Well, I had played friends guitars a little in my teens. At my work there was this guy selling his guitar and amp and I went for it. He kept in in a closet at work and played during nightshifts.
The amp was alright, a Peavey solid state, still have it, but the guitar (a Takaharu) laugh.gif lacked sustain and was real crap. Traded it in for my Charvel a year or couple of years later. Still have that Charvel too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
post Jul 6 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2.001

I love Maiden man! That was my 1st show! Powerslave - Twisted Sister opened up. So my first concert I got to see one of the worst live shows that I've ever seen followed up by one of the best ever in Maiden. I was only 9 and was all about some Twisted Sister and We're not gonna take it and had listened to Maiden some but left loving Maiden and pretty much not listening to TS anymore. I haven't seen Maiden live since the Fear of the Dark tour and it looks like unless I'm willing to fly overseas I may not get to see them again.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Jul 6 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #16

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.395

QUOTE (GroovinMastiff @ Jul 6 2007, 12:36 AM) *
I originally picked it up when I was 19 (I'm 23 now) and in my 2nd year of university, and it was because I just wanted to have an extracurricular activity to put on my med-school application (med-schools love applicants with buttloads of activities). I started taking lessons, and enjoyed it when I was able to play the basic open chords my teacher showed me, I saw that the payoff from practicing really feels good.

Eventually, I started listening to "Guitar Music" (before I used to listen to punk rock and ska) like Van Halen, and Steve Vai, and Tony MacAlpine and I thought man, I want to be able to play like these guys. Since my guitar teacher wasn't a shredder and could not teach me how to play like those guys, I eventually stopped taking lessons. Problem was that now I was on my own with no guidance on how to get good at guitar (did I mention that I had forgotten about the whole med-school thing now), so I practiced how I thought I should practice for the next year or so; I tried playing Van Halen and Steve Vai songs from the tabs, but of course I couldn't even come close, but nevertheless I still kept trying everyday without any results.

After that year of useless practicing, I thought maybe I should get some instructional material, I ended up getting John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD and Wild-Stringdom book. Those two learning aides changed my view on practicing and guitar in general immensely. I followed John's advice, I started using a metronome, I played everything very slowly at first, started practicing scales etc. and I saw great results, I was actually getting better and better at playing the licks in John's book and video.

I practiced material from John's book and video for about a year, and then one day when I was looking for a tab on ultimate guitar, I stumbled across GMC, I was amazed to find such a great guitar web-site and signed up the next day. The rest is history, I'm improving on guitar everyday, I'm improving very slowly, but at least I'm progressing, and I'm sure I speak for us all at GMC when I say that progressing motivates you to practice even more. I still use John's stuff occasionally, but about 80% of the stuff I practice now comes from GMC, man I love this place! cool.gif
Wow, this was a long post! Thanks to all who were patient enough to read it. smile.gif

P.S. I don't want to go to med school anymore tongue.gif I'm in my last year of university, and hope to go to a music school after I graduate. This is a cool thread rokchik smile.gif

@ GroovinMastiff : Wow, guitar has really changed your life!

I'm really glad I did this thread. I find it very interesting how everyone has a story of how they found their way to the guitar and started playing. Imagine if Pavel was actually home sick and never made it to that game against the guitar instructor or if he had really sucked at the game LOL.....where would we all be? (Andrew probably wouldn't have his Jem...LOL) It's kind of like our own little "Behind the Music" special... tongue.gif

Maybe that's what I should have called it "GMC: Behind the Music" biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by rokchik: Jul 6 2007, 06:31 PM

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
post Jul 6 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1.951

QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 6 2007, 02:26 PM) *
@ GroovinMastiff : Wow, guitar has really changed your life!

I'm really glad I did this thread. I find it very interesting how everyone has a story of how they found their way to the guitar and started playing. Imagine if Pavel was actually home sick and never made it to that game against the guitar instructor or if he had really sucked at the game LOL.....where would we all be? (Andrew probably wouldn't have his Jem...LOL) It's kind of like our own little "Behind the Music" special... tongue.gif

Maybe that's what I should have called it "GMC: Behind the Music" biggrin.gif

For sure it's changed my life, and I'm sure that most guitar players when they started didn't know what they were going to be in for. biggrin.gif
Steve Vai said this about himself and Joe Satriani on the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD commentary track: "Who knew that these two normal kids from Long Island would be standing on a stage in Japan 20 years later to play guitar for their fans."
So, I guess anybody can become a guitarist, it's just a matter of how hard you want to push yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
goat
post Jul 6 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2.201

Not a very exciting story but here's mine smile.gif my parents got me into music pretty early, after they brought me home from a movie when I was around 5 or 6 and I started picking out parts of the soundtrack on a crappy little Casio keyboard of my sister's tongue.gif I practiced piano, various brass instruments and whatnot all the way through elementary and middle school, and made a lot of progress although I never really even liked music that featured the instruments I played tongue.gif When I could get my hands on someone else's guitar I'd peck at it a little but never really got anywhere, which was a little frustrating since I was used to being able to improvise on other instruments I'd pick up without much knowledge, and I really REALLY wanted to be able to play guitar. Couldn't afford lessons at that point though, so I was out of luck.

When I was 12 my mom married a guy who happened to be a really awesome folk/bluegrass player. He gave me one of his acoustics (still have it to this day) and started walking me through the basics. I was hooked, and when I got my first electric at 14, I was hooked harder tongue.gif I practiced hardcore (a first for me in my musical endeavors tongue.gif) but hit a plateau when I was 18, at which point adult-like responsibilities prevented me taking it any further until I signed up here a little over a week ago. Now I strive to channel the power of ROCK, and thanks to all the resources available here, I get closer to where I want to be every day smile.gif

peace and love!

+Quote Post
Melinda
post Jul 7 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1.563

Have played for as long as I can remember, would love to be proficient as lead, that's why I'm here.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jul 7 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #20

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Melinda @ Jul 7 2007, 03:09 PM) *
Have played for as long as I can remember, would love to be proficient as lead, that's why I'm here.

When I realised I wanted to become a great lead guitarist - that's when I started practicing! smile.gif So I guess it's the same for me.

There is just something special about lead guitar...!

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 10:02 PM