> Strictly 7 Cobra ( 8 String ) Review/playthrough
Todd Simpson
post Nov 10 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Here is my playthrough/review of the Strictly 7 Custom Cobra 8 String.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own this guitar, it's just a loaner. I wanted to see if these were any good. I've heard very bad and very good things so I wanted to find out for myself. Jim from S7 sent me this one to try and After playing it for the past few months I was ready to shoot video smile.gif Bottom line is I hate to let it go as it's the best 8 string I've played. I'm going to start saving up for one smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 11 2013, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Hey Todd! Great review man! You pointed out the important aspects in the spoken description - the only thing that I would've liked to hear more of in the playing part, is the low end action, since it's an 8 string.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 11 2013, 10:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Nov 11 2013, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Sounds very descent. Nice tune for that beast demo smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 11 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Good point! I'm planning on another playthrough actually before I send it back so I'll put more low low low in smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 11 2013, 04:14 AM) *
Hey Todd! Great review man! You pointed out the important aspects in the spoken description - the only thing that I would've liked to hear more of in the playing part, is the low end action, since it's an 8 string.

Thanks smile.gif Very spiff axe. I do hope to add one to my collection smile.gif
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 11 2013, 08:22 AM) *
Sounds very descent. Nice tune for that beast demo smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 12 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 11 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Good point! I'm planning on another playthrough actually before I send it back so I'll put more low low low in smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif Very spiff axe. I do hope to add one to my collection smile.gif

Alright mate wink.gif But do they let you keep it that long? In here, I usually have about a week to get used to the guitar and maybe another 4 days to shoot the vid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 13 2013, 02:08 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

I've had the guitar in the video for a few months now. I wanted to really get familiar with it before I passed judgement smile.gif They were really great about everything. They are going to send another one for me to check out and I'll ship this one back.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 12 2013, 06:35 AM) *
Alright mate wink.gif But do they let you keep it that long? In here, I usually have about a week to get used to the guitar and maybe another 4 days to shoot the vid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Nov 13 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

This is a huge privilage (?) of being the "demo maker" smile.gif You can get some really cool stuff to try directly from the producers. Usually You get some time to get familiar with it and make then more objective judgement smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 13 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 13 2013, 09:04 AM) *
This is a huge privilage (?) of being the "demo maker" smile.gif You can get some really cool stuff to try directly from the producers. Usually You get some time to get familiar with it and make then more objective judgement smile.gif

Aye mates! Indeed smile.gif I feel privileged to be able to get my hands on so many PRS guitars, even if I need to be pretty quick about it and as well, I have to mention that working with Von Hotch on developing his picks also felt like an amazing experience. In the first year in college, I had this subject called 'Materials Science' it was an amazing one - one of the few I really enjoyed and studied hard for - it explained the way in which metals are reacting to a lot of external factors and how these changes look at a microscopic level. So, working with Von Hotch made me feel like I was somehow re-living those beautiful days, 10 years ago smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 14 2013, 01:56 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

HOW TO BECOME A YOUTUBE GEAR REVIEW GUY smile.gif

(And, get gear to try and sometimes to keep!)

DARIUS: It cetainly is! smile.gif I've been able to get some great gear for trying out in exchange for making videos. It's really very simple to do smile.gif Just contact any vendor/builder/etc. and

1.)Introduce yourself and your online presence.
E.G. Here is my youtube channel with x million views x thousand subscribers

2.)Tell them you'd like to make a review video featuring their product.
**Point them to your previous reviews to impress them.

3.)Try the gear and make the vid. smile.gif

The great thing is, they will promote the video usually since it contains a product they are trying to sell. So you get exposure to new audiences and you get to try out all sorts of spiff gear smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 13 2013, 04:04 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 14 2013, 01:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Nov 14 2013, 03:18 AM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.741

I'm so jealous. I love that guitar, and they are gonna send you another one. Great review by the way.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2013, 01:08 AM) *
I've had the guitar in the video for a few months now. I wanted to really get familiar with it before I passed judgement smile.gif They were really great about everything. They are going to send another one for me to check out and I'll ship this one back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 14 2013, 09:34 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Great tips Todd smile.gif I am always astounded by the fact that a lot of musicians here in my country never took the time to build up an online audience and enjoy the goodies coming with it.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 14 2013, 12:56 AM) *
HOW TO BECOME A YOUTUBE GEAR REVIEW GUY smile.gif

(And, get gear to try and sometimes to keep!)

DARIUS: It cetainly is! smile.gif I've been able to get some great gear for trying out in exchange for making videos. It's really very simple to do smile.gif Just contact any vendor/builder/etc. and

1.)Introduce yourself and your online presence.
E.G. Here is my youtube channel with x million views x thousand subscribers

2.)Tell them you'd like to make a review video featuring their product.
**Point them to your previous reviews to impress them.

3.)Try the gear and make the vid. smile.gif

The great thing is, they will promote the video usually since it contains a product they are trying to sell. So you get exposure to new audiences and you get to try out all sorts of spiff gear smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 16 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Yes!! Thankfully smile.gif They are planning on sending me another one to try out and review next month. I'll miss the 8 String Cobra when I have to ship it back!!

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 13 2013, 09:18 PM) *
I'm so jealous. I love that guitar, and they are gonna send you another one. Great review by the way.

I"m astounded by that myself actually! I mean in general. Online is one of the few places where the playing field is somewhat open and the barrier to entry is low. it does take a good bit of effort to get any traction, I think that's why so many musicians have a poor online presence. It can be a distraction from the music itself and takes time away from playing/practicing.

But as we have talked about, it really is about finding the balance between all of the above smile.gif The benefits of having a solid online presence obviously far outweigh the effort involved IMHO.

The good news is that so many folks here @ GMC are interested in establishing themselves online and are willing to put in the time to do it smile.gif GMC is a great place for many reasons but especially that one smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 14 2013, 03:34 AM) *
Great tips Todd smile.gif I am always astounded by the fact that a lot of musicians here in my country never took the time to build up an online audience and enjoy the goodies coming with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 17 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 16 2013, 08:48 PM) *
Yes!! Thankfully smile.gif They are planning on sending me another one to try out and review next month. I'll miss the 8 String Cobra when I have to ship it back!!

I"m astounded by that myself actually! I mean in general. Online is one of the few places where the playing field is somewhat open and the barrier to entry is low. it does take a good bit of effort to get any traction, I think that's why so many musicians have a poor online presence. It can be a distraction from the music itself and takes time away from playing/practicing.

But as we have talked about, it really is about finding the balance between all of the above smile.gif The benefits of having a solid online presence obviously far outweigh the effort involved IMHO.

The good news is that so many folks here @ GMC are interested in establishing themselves online and are willing to put in the time to do it smile.gif GMC is a great place for many reasons but especially that one smile.gif

Todd

I am talking about people who could raise an audience in no time due to their talent and skills both as musicians and producers or simply because they are uber well known in real life. Instead, they say: 'Nah, it's stupid, I don't think that anyone would be interested' or they are simply LAZY biggrin.gif I know a few cases, so trust me on this one biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 17 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

I was agreeing with you smile.gif There is no shortage of examples of folks who could be getting a lot more ears/eyes interested in their music with just a bit of online leg work smile.gif Folks who can play/write well. The good news is that the next generation of musicians is being born in to a world where social media is simply part of the fabric of life. I think it will be a ver positive thing for music in general as the years go by smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 17 2013, 10:16 AM) *
I am talking about people who could raise an audience in no time due to their talent and skills both as musicians and producers or simply because they are uber well known in real life. Instead, they say: 'Nah, it's stupid, I don't think that anyone would be interested' or they are simply LAZY biggrin.gif I know a few cases, so trust me on this one biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 17 2013, 08:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 01:34 PM