Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emg-81 ?
post Jul 7 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.024

Im looking for a bridge pickup for playing metal (all kinds). Any one got one of these or know what there like ?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jul 7 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

I know there will come a bunch of positive responses so I will start with a slightly negative.
I think the sound is sterile, I COULD use one myself if I was playing a modern hi-gain amp with 6L6 tubes in it. Active EMG seem to give the extra "punch" though the tone itself doesn't get less sterile esp. with 6L6's that I find less warm compared to EL34's.

So to sum it up, for modern Higain metal in a f.ex ENGL or Mesa with 6L6 tubes they sound good to my ears. Just me ok. I know plenty of people just love em so I have to say I'm probably representing a minority here. I think they lack a bit of warmth.

I realize that above was a bit blur... Perhaps it's just me...

+Quote Post
post Jul 7 2007, 01:45 AM
Post #3

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

You can get yourself the emg-81 or the emg hz-h4 (passive version of the 81). And if you don't like emg's then Seymour Duncan Invader Pickups are also good for Metal.
Peronally I would prefer the emg-81

- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
E.S.P Nut
post Jul 9 2007, 01:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2.182

I have 81's in my bridge and neck and i love them,great for metal and screaming lead work biggrin.gif

Guitars: ESP KH-2 Black,Gibson Les Paul STD Honey Burst(2000),Gibson Les Paul STD Root Beer (2007).

Amps: Marshall TSL,Line 6 spider 2 (practice amp).

Pedals: Boss GT-8,Boss Metal Zone 2,Ibanez TSL,Electro harmonix Small clone,Dunlop Crybaby.
+Quote Post
post Jul 11 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 913

I've got an EMG81 in bridge position and I LOVE it when playing with high gain! But when playing in clean it sounds pretty bad. Its like a very thin sound with no warmth in it. I got an EMG85 in neck position wich is completly the opposite, a nice warm clean tone, but not so great with high gain riffs.

So I would really recomend it for heavy riffing and soloing, it gives you a sharp thrashy tone, but make sure you got a good clean-pickup in neck position because emg81 in bridge position is pretty useless for clean

This post has been edited by erik: Jul 11 2007, 11:24 AM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2016 - 05:42 PM