Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Nov 21 2013, 09:08 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Well, the fact that he or she said 'guitar TAB websites' - which are generally full of errors sends up a giant red flag. And, what songs? 1300 is a small sampling considering we've been playing and documenting chord progressions since about 900 ad.

*Yes, there are a few handfuls of general or basic song forms. But we've known that for about 300 years.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 21 2013, 09:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
post Nov 21 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17.478

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 21 2013, 09:08 PM) *
Well, the fact that he or she said 'guitar TAB websites' - which are generally full of errors sends up a giant red flag. And, what songs? 1300 is a small sampling considering we've been playing and documenting chord progressions since about 900 ad.

*Yes, there are a few handfuls of general or basic song forms. But we've known that for about 300 years.

I thought they said that they specifically didn't use guitar websites and they analyised one song at a time....for the very reason they are not reliable to use?
Anyway it was interesting to read the comments under...some similar to yours. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Nov 22 2013, 12:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17.304

Lol! You're right, I miss read.
Looking at the data base though I still feel it's extremely limited - even if we're really just talking about 'popular' music.
A couple of classical pieces, no jazz (jazz was 'pop' music for about 30 years), no metal ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 22 2013, 01:06 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Actually theory-wise it makes sense. I mean tonal music is basicly built on the 1-4-5 relationship and results show similar values to this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 22 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Interesting one - I bumped into it before but just bookmarked it and never got to read it.. Thanks for the reminder mate!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 22 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

It's a cool topic. I think that the main reason why they have these results start in the fact that C major, A minor, E minor and G major are the most comfortable chords to play on guitar, and are also comfortable in Piano. These two instruments are the most used to compose in popular music. So I don't think that there is too many information in the article but it's a good idea and starting point to analyze music to create guideline to start experimenting with composition.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 23 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 22 2013, 02:09 PM) *
It's a cool topic. I think that the main reason why they have these results start in the fact that C major, A minor, E minor and G major are the most comfortable chords to play on guitar, and are also comfortable in Piano. These two instruments are the most used to compose in popular music. So I don't think that there is too many information in the article but it's a good idea and starting point to analyze music to create guideline to start experimenting with composition.

I would also say that E major/ C# minor offers nice possibilities because of the open strings that can be used in the chords. But yes, as Gabe said, those keys make a lot of use of open strings thus, suitable for chords smile.gif Just think of all the classic American hits biggrin.gif G major FTW!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 03:38 AM