15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Have You Improved In The Last Week?
skennington
post Dec 9 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #181

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.374

Been playing fo bout a month now. Befor joining GMC, I was mainly just learning riffs off of you tube. Then I ran across one of Kris's video lessons, ( Fade To Black Intro solo ). Learned it with his tab and instructions in about 4 days playing an our or so a night. Thank God I found GMC. Now I'm working on the 5 minor pentatonic boxes. Know shapes 1,2 and 3 well and beginning to move around from the root notes. Also studying Kris's Alternate picking lesson to build speed. I Always look at the Riff of the Day as well.

Anyway, think I'll be around here for a while!
Thanks again for the great site!

Steve

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Dec 10 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #182

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.236

QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 9 2007, 02:48 PM) *
Been playing fo bout a month now. Befor joining GMC, I was mainly just learning riffs off of you tube. Then I ran across one of Kris's video lessons, ( Fade To Black Intro solo ). Learned it with his tab and instructions in about 4 days playing an our or so a night. Thank God I found GMC. Now I'm working on the 5 minor pentatonic boxes. Know shapes 1,2 and 3 well and beginning to move around from the root notes. Also studying Kris's Alternate picking lesson to build speed. I Always look at the Riff of the Day as well.

Anyway, think I'll be around here for a while!
Thanks again for the great site!

Steve

Nice!!! Good to hear that you will be here to stay!

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 3 2007, 06:00 AM) *
fantastic work Gerald, keep it up! biggrin.gif

Thanks!

This week I worked on the minor pentatonic boxes, but with the METRONOME! WooT! I also purchased a Spider 3 Line 6 amp w/ headphones so I've been using those P90's in my SG. So a lot of fun and riffing around this week!

So mainly it's been the pentatonic scale practice - starting to get the root notes down on the first 3 boxes, and I'm playing them in different keys. Also working on licks in all the boxes. I've really been happy with my own lick writing because this week I had a lightbulb moment and I'm starting to "break out" of the 1st box and transistion to other boxes in my licks.

Metronome practice has been coming along. I'm still working on establishing a firm practice schedule with it, but so far so good.

This coming week I need to be more strict with my practice because last week I did a lot of "jamming" and not as much work with the metronome as much as I should have. I have my 1st guitar lesson on Saturday! So I want to study up on my theory, (which has been coming along), along with basic fretboard knowledge etc, so when I take my first lesson I'm competent as possible.

This post has been edited by Gerald: Dec 10 2007, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
Batista
post Dec 10 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 2.301

This week has been pretty important for me and good for me actually. My alternate picking is much better, I have learned to master pinched harmonics, and made myself a new practice plan, to learn to play faster and improve my speed, with legato and speedpicking. I have also, just overnight, learned to improvise better and to find out solo's and stuff myself, withouth using tab so much smile.gif

This post has been edited by Batista: Dec 10 2007, 04:47 PM

--------------------
Seven Deadly Sins, One Deadly Syn

Gear list:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
Schecter Damien-6
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

+Quote Post
JVM
post Dec 17 2007, 06:29 AM
Post #184

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

I never really spent much time on octave licks, the "grip" just didn't "click" instantly when I first tried them so I got confused in the fingers and haven't really looked at them til tonight but it just came to me without much effort. Also there was part of one of Gabe's lessons that was giving me trouble that I finally figured out and gained control over as well.

I think my speed's increasing but I'll wait til next weekend to really measure it and see how I'm doing.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Dec 17 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 3.236

The past week I have made some good progress on the minor pentatonic scale. I'm using the metronome now and I'm slowly bumping up the speed. I'm starting really slow though - 50bpm - and working through the scale boxes ascending and descending while playing 16th notes. When I first started I was having problems with the 2nd and 3rd box playing 16th notes, now I can play all of the first 4 boxes on time!

I have also been practicing my barre chords and the fretting of them is a little easier now and I'm able to transition from triads to barre chords a bit cleaner and faster.

Lastly, I've been working on my rhythm and it's starting to come a long a bit.

That's it for this week! Next week I am hoping to move to a clean 60bpm for the first 4 boxes and start on that 5th one. Also my 1st instructor lesson is scheduled for Saturday!

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
post Dec 21 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #186

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 3.381

Well I've been on GMC now for a couple of weeks and picked up a couple of lessons that I liked.

What have I learned;

1. I'm a weak guitarist, technically and musically, (oh joy!)

2. I've found roughly my level with the implimentation of the bookmark system and I'm looking at lessons in the range of 3-4. (That tricky not beginner / early intermediate level)

3. Need to really get a practice routine down and stick to it.

4. I've a hell of a mountain to climb but every journey starts with one small step.

I'm sure GMC will help me improve over the coming months / years

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Dec 21 2007, 05:35 PM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
pat
post Dec 25 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #187

Member No.: 3.421

Hi! Ißm Patrick from Germany.

I´ve benn surfing gmc for a cupple of hours this evening, and i realy found a reason to keep on playing guitar!!
This site is just great and i hope i´ll keep my enthusiasm for a while and learn something wink.gif .

Merry Christmas smile.gif

+Quote Post
muntahunta
post Dec 27 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #188

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.713

for the first time since joining i have kept to my lesson plan for the longest time biggrin.gif

since the 18th of december till... well, hopefully i'll keep at it tongue.gif

i have perfected 4 of the begginer lessons in the first day (beginner = from what the lesson planner thing said tongue.gif)
then another 3 accross the next few days (with alot less practice time)

anyways. i decided they were too easy so i am now working on the shred lessons including classical tapping, in the style of iron maiden, sweep basics, zakk wylde pinch harmonics, one on one tapping (the series)

its helping me so much and i'd like to thank the forum community for helping me keep at it. if it was just the videos i'd have given up by now (they are brilliant but i'd have got bored of doing the same thing).
if it wasnt for the collab's and virtual bands and the many different topics for a chat on these forums i would still be stuck where i was last month.

Thank You GMC And All Of Its Community
Chris

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
JVM
post Jan 6 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #189

Learning Roadie

Hmm, I think this week that I've reached a new plateau. I still don't know nearly as much theory as I should (and I'm definitely working on that) but I think I'm getting better at putting what I hear in my head on the fretboard and playing it. I really feel like I've made a lot of improvement in the last week, more than I have in a while, and I'm betting I'm about to hit a brick wall soon tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jan 6 2008, 06:01 AM
Post #190

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

Well this week has been odd.. i was always amazed at the solo in Sails of Charon by Scorpians.. i tried to play it and *gasp* ive got the ap part of the solo almost to full speed.. there is a string skipping part that is less than perfect but im really feeling it coming together.. its a good week smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
holoshreder
post Jan 9 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 3.734

after a few days of joining GMC i notice that my coordination is increasing slightly
and my speed is also getting betteri think im doing very good for a guy whos playing for a month O.o

and im finaly going through Enter Sandman (well my solo SUCKS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)
but the rest is fairly easy
1--------------------------
2--------------------------
3--------------------------
4------------2-------------
5-------2-4---4-2---------
6--0-4------------4-------

this riff has helped me ALOT and i mean ALOT with my coordination

i would love to have the entire riff (since what i just wrote is a fragment)

if you guys can PM or post the entire riff here i would be very gratfull

THX biggrin.gif

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!

+Quote Post
Mark.
post Jan 9 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 3.764

The past week I learned :
- All 3 note per string patterns in the e minor pentatonic! ( I'll do the minor blues pentatonic shapes this week )
When you played these big pentatonic shapes, regular minor shapes seem really small tongue.gif

- Diminshed 4 notes per string patterns
- Some classic music pieces for my acoustic guitar lessons.

And I reached my new years goal! : Being able to play most 6 notes per beat patterns at 120 bpm without to many problems biggrin.gif:D

Mark.

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
post Jan 9 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #193

Member No.: 3.548

QUOTE (holoshreder @ Jan 9 2008, 05:21 PM) *
after a few days of joining GMC i notice that my coordination is increasing slightly
and my speed is also getting betteri think im doing very good for a guy whos playing for a month O.o

and im finaly going through Enter Sandman (well my solo SUCKS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD)
but the rest is fairly easy
1--------------------------
2--------------------------
3--------------------------
4------------2-------------
5-------2-4---4-2---------
6--0-4------------4-------

this riff has helped me ALOT and i mean ALOT with my coordination

i would love to have the entire riff (since what i just wrote is a fragment)

if you guys can PM or post the entire riff here i would be very gratfull

THX biggrin.gif

Hey holo. This tab looks pretty decent to me.

I've improved massively since I started learning scales. The way you have to use all four fingers really seems to help. I've learned most of the boxes for the major scale which has been great so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Jan 9 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #194

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

I learned some Solos that I would never be able to nail without my six months on GMC so far

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
sam47
post Jan 11 2008, 04:13 AM
Post #195

Member No.: 3.568

The last week hasn't been any break throughs in my playing BUT, I've structured a practice routine ( Kris Dahl's lesson and video on HOW TO Practice. Check it out if you need a plan or idea).
What really has been the most improvement is my motivation. For that I want to give a BIG shout out to Jerry Arcidiacono. He has given tips and support and shown geniune interest. I honestly feel apart of this "Guitar Community" and it is in no small part Jerry's contributions, to this site and to myself. I've got a long way to go and a lot to learn but the road is clear and ther's plenty of help along the way. Stick around Guys and Gals, we're gonna make it!

+Quote Post
Lester
post Jan 14 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #196

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.783

biggrin.gif I'm pretty happy right now!! smile.gif
Because I have got some kind of a breakthrough in playing by ear!!
I never was able to figure any song out, but now i am able to analyse quite a bit...
Don't know where it came from, I was just trying a little something on a track and i found out the chords....
and a few minutes i gave it a shot to the song "caught in the balance" by Toto and i have got the first 30 seconds 100% right in twenty minutes!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
post Jan 28 2008, 03:59 AM
Post #197

Learning Roadie

Huzzah! (biggrin.gif) I've finally learned to apply a vibrato to my bent notes. It's a very slow vibrato yet but hopefully with more practice I'll get more control of it. I don't see why I couldn't before, I noticed that when I bent down towards my feet I could easily do it so its obviously just a finger strength issue. Bending upwards I just tried to analyze what I was doing when I bent it downwards, and copy that over.

Also I've been on a roll tone wise lately. Really been getting better with EQing and stuff like that, happy with my tone now. All in all a pretty good last few days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Jan 28 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #198

Member No.: 1.414

I've been improving like crazy every since I've adopted a new picking style. I used to close the fist up and it was ok, but I saw most of my favorite guitarist having the other fingers hanging down, kinda holding onto the pickguard, bottom strings, or pickup, not very hard like MAB, but just barely. Ever since I started picking like that, my speed in sweeping and speedpicking have both gone up like crazy everyday. I used to use Hangar 18 2nd solo for sweeping practice because it has 4-string sweeps at 152. When I had the closed fist, I could do it cleanly at about 120-125, and was getting maybe 1 BPM higher per week. When I adopted the new picking style, after 5 min of practice, I nailed the whole thing 152 BPM cleanly (I film myself playing.) I am working on Under a Glass Moon solo now by Dream Theater, how quickly I have learned the fast licks is astounding compared to how slow it was in the past.

Also just got done blowing Tornado of Souls solo to pieces, even the insane fast 2-string arpeggio part. Now that I comfortable with my speed, I can concentrate on improv and phrasing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fongy
post Feb 1 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #199

Member No.: 3.167

I've been playing with the Spanish Romance by Kosei and recently I've noticed my lower picking fingers including little finger have started to hook almost clawlike which feels much more natural and increases my accuracy and speed. I've had a great week in fact also with Gabriel's muse style. Its an incredible feeling when you start getting the timing right and it actually starts to sound as it should! Rock On!

+Quote Post
Duncan
post Feb 4 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 3.904

Just been working on alternate picking and stuff. Before I could play triplets at 160bpm, but I was always concentrating quite hard whilst doing it and putting in some effort. Then I get back to Uni today, and after not having played guitar since last tuesday I can now play triplets at 160 bpm with ease. And all the other stuff I was practising I can play fluently now. Crazy how leaving the guitar for a few days can benefit you.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 03:59 PM