Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neo Classical Sound
enlo22
post Dec 4 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Learning Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.670

hey guys, I was hoping to get some tips or ideas on getting the Neo classical sound. I've always enjoyed that particular sound, using harmonic minors/ phrygian modes, but I don't really know when to use it correctly as well as which chord progressions would sound "neo classical". I hope this post makes sense and you guys can help me out a bit! Thanks a lot.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Dec 4 2013, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

A lot of people in rock and metal will use power chords.. with no minor or major 3rd. So when you've got something like an E5 power chord as the bed of your solo, you can use pretty much any mode you want.

If you had a riff that used E5 and F5, that would give you a good opportunity to use the Phrygian Dominant mode (the Yngwie mode!) because of the interval of E to F..

If you had a chord progression that made use of the E minor scale and then resolved on a B chord or a D#/5+ which is like another inversion of B, then that would be a good place to use the E Harmonic Minor scale.

But neo classical isn't just about the modes, it's about a combination of phrases and chord progressions that overall produce a typically classical sound, bringing to mind those composers like Bach, Paganini etc.. so pedal tone licks are common.

I haven't spent a massive amount of time emulating neo classical so my knowledge is only based on what I hear and have worked out.. some of the theory boffins might be able to direct you better smile.gif

It would also be interesting hear from my guitar comrades. Fellas, let's help this guy out ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Dec 4 2013, 07:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
miguelbatalha
post Dec 4 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.016

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/Neoclassical/

Choose some lessons that sound good to you and learn them. I promise you, achieving the neoclassical sound will be as easy as playing the pentatonic minor over a 12-blues bar.

This post has been edited by miguelbatalha: Dec 4 2013, 07:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 4 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #4

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Great responses! Just to add a pinch, if you want to try something simple. Map out a chord progression in HARMONIC MINOR just using simple power chords and then try to solo using the Harmonic Minor scale. This is VASTLY OVERSIMPLIFIED version of playing "Neo-Classical" but it will let you dive in quick smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 09:45 AM