Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Brand New Usa Gibson For $376!, Get it while it lasts!
Mudbone
post Dec 22 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.329

I recently acquired a Gibson SGJ for the stunningly low price of $376.76, including tax. I wasn't even in the market for a new guitar, but the stars seemingly lined up for me, as I got a gift card and some cash for my birthday, and Guitar Center marked down all their SGJs to a price of $399 before tax. I knew I could find a better deal than that, so I found a 12% off coupon online and used it. When it was all said and done it only cost me $176 out of my pocket. Not bad for a guitar I always wanted. Tony Iommi is my ultimate guitar hero, and this is pretty much the reason why I wanted an SG.

So, how is it? Is it a cheap piece of s***? No. There are things about it I really like, and other things I don't particularly care for.

What really drew me to this particular SG was the finish, or lack thereof. Its nothing more than stained wood. No filler to smooth out the grain, and no globs of polyurethane or lacquer. Its about as raw as a guitar can get. It feels amazing. Very comfortable to hold. This finish is actually a cost saving measure, which suits me perfectly, because I've never been a fan of glossy finishes. Another cost saving feature is the use of maple instead of mahogany for the neck. Again, I see this as a double win. Gibson necks are notorious for being very fragile due to the design of the headstock angle. Hopefully the use of a denser wood such as maple will compensate for this flawed design.

The fret job and intonation are spot on. No dead spots and no buzzing. The edges of the frets aren't rolled, so they're a little sharp. The fretboard is very fast, and the short scale length makes it easy to play. Its a very nice playing neck, though I wish it had extra jumbo frets.

The pickups are the Gibson 490R and 490T. At first I didn't really care for them, because they're a bit under powered for my taste, especially compared to the other guitar I have that is equipped with EMGs. I wanted to change them out for higher output pickups so I can create my ultimate Iommi instrument of doom. But as I been playing them, they're starting to grow on me. They're very crunchy, and very articulate. As a whole, the guitar got a great classic/hard rock sound, but it doesn't have the bottom end to play really heavy stuff on its own, without the use of an overdrive pedal. Unplugged, the guitar is very resonant, which is probably due to the very thin body.

The Kluson Deluxe tuners are a 16:1 ratio, and do the job. They look cool, but I would rather have modern locking tuners with an 18:1 ratio. Of course, that costs more money.

The pickup toggle switch feels flimsy, but works... for now. We'll see how it holds up. The volume pots aren't that good. There is hardly any sweep, so rolling off the volume to clean up the gain is difficult. When you roll it from zero, there is nothing, nothing, then BAM! I'm quite sure these are 500K pots, which don't have the volume tapering capabilities of 250K pots. But I've played other guitars with 500K pots that taper volume better.

My biggest complaint with the guitar isn't with the manufacturing quality (which is really good), but the design of the SG itself. I'm a firm believer in Strat-style guitars. I think its the best shape, with the best ergonomics, and with the best controls. The SG isn't as comfortable as a Strat to play sitting down or standing up. However, it is very light, so that's one advantage that it has. The volume and tone controls are out of easy reach, and I would rather have one master volume instead of two. The input jack sticks straight out of the front of the guitar, and if you're not using a right angled plug, makes the jack susceptible to being hit and broken.

Despite its faults, I think its a great instrument. Its a riot to play, because its raw and uncivilized. While other guitars sing, this one barks. For $376 bucks, you will not find a better instrument.

As of today (Dec 22, '13) you can purchase it here for this low price. Get it while it lasts.

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Dec 22 2013, 09:49 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bossie
post Dec 23 2013, 05:47 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 10.711

Quite an amazing deal...!!....You'll get used to the guitar...it's allways a shock when you go from strat to Lp or even SG.
But eventually you'll get used to it.....nice deal!!!

I'm starting to believe i'm in the wrong country...after i sawTodd getting a great buy.....

This post has been edited by Bossie: Dec 23 2013, 05:50 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Dec 24 2013, 01:14 AM
Post #3

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

QUOTE (Bossie @ Dec 22 2013, 11:47 PM) *
Quite an amazing deal...!!....You'll get used to the guitar...it's allways a shock when you go from strat to Lp or even SG.
But eventually you'll get used to it.....nice deal!!!

I'm starting to believe i'm in the wrong country...after i sawTodd getting a great buy.....

Yeah, sometimes gear over here gets crazy cheap. You live close to Germany though, and from my understanding, they have the best prices in Europe for gear. Is this correct?

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
post Dec 24 2013, 07:41 AM
Post #4

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.500

That looks sweet! Absolutely a steal for that price. You should come down to Australia, where the guitars are super expensive...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 11:50 PM