> The Sad Truth..., About Fast Food
GroovinMastiff
post Oct 21 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.951

QUOTE (Ryan @ Oct 21 2007, 08:01 AM) *
39 cent hamburgers, WHERE DO YOU LIVE?!?!?!?!?

This is a way better alternative than being eaten by another animal, or being road kill!!!

Plus, we are the superior beings on this planet. If they were im sure they would do the same things to us.

I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. It's a smallish town with a population of about 45,000 people and is the capital of New Brunswick.

I doubt the 39 cent burger still exists. That price is taken from a promotion McDonalds used to have about five or six years ago - which was last time I ate at that place - on a particular day of the week (don't remember which one now). I'm not sure if they still have those types of "deals" or if the public has simply become content in paying exorbitant prices for questionable food; if they have, I suppose that makes McDonalds' job all the more easier.

As far as being a better alternative to being eaten by another animal or in being road kill - we humans are animals as well - I don't think a cow, or a chicken, or what have you can distinguish between being killed by one animal (or one animal's tire in the case of road kill) or another, all it knows is that its life is in danger and it doesn't give a damn whether it will eaten by a human or a dinosaur or a platypus.

"Superior beings" is a relative term. Perhaps in terms of neural function, we are the most complex. But humans have only been on the earth for about 250,000 years, and there are other species (e.g. various snakes, insects and reptiles such as the alligator and the cockroach) who have been around for millions of years longer than us, and have survived conditions we can barely imagine. It's likely that as time goes on, and conditions on the earth change, these other species will have a far greater chance of adapting to (and thus of surviving) conditions that we would find hostile. So, really, there is no such thing as a superior species, there are far too many factors to consider in what makes a species superior.

As to whether the cow, chicken etc. would do the same to us if they were above us in terms of brain complexity, I guess we'll never know, and can only make inferences on what it would be like if the tables were turned. wink.gif

-Parth.

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Oct 21 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1.189

good stuff. To me it is a matter of compassion. Like a lot of other things. The issue is not whether you eat meat or not. It is having compassion. Maybe you eat the animals, but you have compassion for the animal, an and respect it. But I believe that by the time people are maybe 18, things like that are set. Some have compassion, with others, well, they are on the level of rodents for the most part. That is all they know, rodent world. Show them anything of enlightened value, they will just poop on it. That is what they are.

I don't think our species has been around that long, I thought it was 100,000 or so? Well I could look it up. But clearly anthropological evidence indicates that hunting is fairly recent, we have been gatherers and scavengers for the most part, our species and those that preceded it, for millions of years. So anybody who wants to be natural, go find some road kill.

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
post Oct 21 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1.951

QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 21 2007, 10:58 AM) *
good stuff. To me it is a matter of compassion. Like a lot of other things. The issue is not whether you eat meat or not. It is having compassion. Maybe you eat the animals, but you have compassion for the animal, an and respect it. But I believe that by the time people are maybe 18, things like that are set. Some have compassion, with others, well, they are on the level of rodents for the most part. That is all they know, rodent world. Show them anything of enlightened value, they will just poop on it. That is what they are.

I don't think our species has been around that long, I thought it was 100,000 or so? Well I could look it up. But clearly anthropological evidence indicates that hunting is fairly recent, we have been gatherers and scavengers for the most part, our species and those that preceded it, for millions of years. So anybody who wants to be natural, go find some road kill.

Exactly. I myself eat meat almost everyday, but I never touch that fast food stuff anymore. It's just a matter of being cruel or not. I have no objection to eating meat from animals who were raised and killed in a way that limited their suffering as much as possible.

As for how long we've been here, it seems that some evolutionary biologists take different views from others, and indeed, many say we've been here for about 100,000 years. It'll be great to see the timescale get more and more refined as more evidence starts to pop up.

As far as some people and enlightenment are concerned, I have my own views on that as well...but that is a discussion for another time and place.

Anyway, I'm glad to see people who think about issues like this...and now I'm off to bed as it is 4:00am over here cool.gif

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Oct 21 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (GroovinMastiff @ Oct 21 2007, 09:40 AM) *
As for how long we've been here, it seems that some evolutionary biologists take different views from others, and indeed, many say we've been here for about 100,000 years. It'll be great to see the timescale get more and more refined as more evidence starts to pop up.

I am a little behind here, read a lot of anthropology earlier, but not much lately. see what wikipedia says.

looks like you are probably closer to the truth, it was a bit further back, I am seeing 200,000 now as the "estimate de jure."

You are not from the US, but I am from Kansas, and it is well known that our state is now 6,011 years old.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/a...ld-born-4004-bc

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 21 2007, 04:21 PM

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Oct 21 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1.226

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 21 2007, 03:09 AM) *
I agree with RobM - I personally have no interest in this kind of thread on a guitar site and definitely wouldn't be reading it if I wasn't a moderator.

Having said that, as long as people keep their heads it isn't breaking any forum rules so I'm not going to do anything about it other than express the earnest wish that this thread dies and doesn't get resurrected again (I was glad to see it go the last time).

Sorry... unsure.gif I just felt compelled to express myself on this...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Oct 21 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #26

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 21 2007, 01:53 PM) *
Sorry... unsure.gif I just felt compelled to express myself on this...

Its ok, what I said above was my personal opinion (when I am moderating I post in bold italics!), as moderator I just care that this doesn't degrade into a slanging match ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Oct 22 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 2.019

QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 21 2007, 05:46 AM) *
The Peta bit is nonsense, they have little impact. The Humane Society is the organization behind animal welfare rights. Very powerful lobby, as powerful as the Gun lobby. All recent changes, such as making animal fighting a federal crime, the slaughtering of horses for meat, stopping people from being forced to abandon their animals in an emergency (such as New Orleans), all the federal changes in animal welfare rights are due to their influence, and the supporters (such as myself). They are not radical, but if you are on their mailing list, you will be informed of what is going on, and may find that you yourself would feel better paying a bit more for food, if that meant that farm animals are given a more humane existence than they are given now (to keep prices rock bottom low).

Wendys has blocked emails from Humane Society members. Burger King is making changes to phase in more humane practices. Make your choice. I rarely eat fast food myself. And not a lot of meat. More than 6 oz a day is unhealthy anyway, even for training athletes.

Hmm, never heard of them, sounds better than PETA though. And yeah, I know fast food is HORRIBLE for you, but so is most anything that you buy from the grocery store unless it's 100% organic. I think I eat pretty healthy ,because even though I do eat fast food alot due to my job, I eat an organic salad pretty much every day and drink carrot juice blink.gif dry.gif

Oh, and The reason I despise PETA so much is because of signs and ads that I see around my city. An example of one of these was one which showed a picture of a dog with a fish hook in his mouth and a caption saying something ridiculous like- " you wouldn't do this to a dog, why do it to a fish?".
Things like this just piss me off to no end.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Oct 22 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #28

Yeah, PETA are way to extreme.

And there's also a lot of stupid extremist "animal friends" around. Recently, where I live, a few of them blew up a truck belonging to a company that delivers animal feed to a fur farm.

It could have gotten quite bad since there was a lot of amonia tubes for cooling near the truck they blew up, so it could have ended with a mass poisoning of the surrounding area.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Oct 22 2007, 06:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Oct 22 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 2.019

QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 22 2007, 12:34 AM) *
Yeah, PETA are way to extreme.

And there's also a lot of stupid extremist "animal friends" around. Recently, where I live, a few of them blew up a truck belonging to a company that delivers animal feed to a fur farm.

It could have gotten quite bad since there was a lot of amonia tubes for cooling near the truck they blew up, so it could have ended with a mass poisoning of the surrounding area.

Man, that is way extreme. I hope we don't ever have anything like that around here.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Oct 22 2007, 06:46 AM
Post #30

Yeah, they're not really thinking of what they're doing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 03:42 AM