> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 18 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #121

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Philm! Great to know that you'll work on alternate picking. Here is a list of basic things about the technique:

• It basically means alternation between downstrokes and upstrokes
• It can also help your timing for funk rhythms.
• It lets you use your mind to other things since the motion can be automated.
• Get in the habit of holding the pick between your thumb and your forefinger.
• Keep the exposed area of the pick to a minimum. (for precision)
• Try to do the movements the smaller than possible.

When you are playing AP, dynamics are important to define rhythms and give accentuation to phrases so notice how the notes that go with the beat are usually accentuated. For example, if you are playing 16th notes, the first of each four is usually accentuated to make the 16th notes rhythm clearer.

Another important thing is that the motion should be done from your wrist and a bit from your elbow. Let your hand move relaxed from your wrist but the the arm also a bit free from your elbow. Don't make finger movement, it's not effective.

Please work on the lesson and record a take to let me see how you manage the movements.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
post Nov 23 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #122

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.614

Hey gab,
Thanks for all your advice on alternative picking. It's a lot to take in but I guess the best thing is to learn the lesson and record a take to see if I'm doing it the right way. I haven't managed to learn the whole lesson yet. I think its going to take me a while still.

We are coming to the end of our first year on this mentoring program. Can't believe its gone so fast. I just wanted to lay out my plans for the rest of the year. There are two lessons i want to learn still and that's the alternative picking one and the kyuss style. Maybe I can also sneak in the bring me the horizon one as well.

Here is my plan the the moment

Technique lessons
-Beginner Bending (10mins)
-Vibrato (10mins)
-Alternative picking (20-25mins)

Musical lessons
-Fu Manchu (10-15mins)
-Stoner Rock 2(10mins)
-Stoner Rock 1(3-5 times playing)
-John Frusciante 1 & 2 (5mins)
-John Frusciante 3 (10mins)
-Kyuss(20mins)

These lessons also need refining at some point
-Rise Against
-The Offspring

I wanted to record some takes this weekend but i don't think i have progressed enough so i will delay that for a few days yet.
Cheers!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 23 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #123

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Philm! This is an awesome plan for the rest of this year. I always talk about how important is to have a well designed routine for guitar practice and being able to design your own routine is the best you can do. smile.gif

I checked each moment and I think that it's very well designed. Please work on it and let me know how it feels the first days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Nov 26 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #124

Hey Gab, well I may have been a bit overly ambitious with the timing of each part in the plan. I have had to reduce the time of each section a bit because of practice time limatations but apart from that its going well.
Also I have good news, from February on I can reduce my work from 5 days to 4 which means more guitar playing time. I will have one day off in the week where I can spend a good few hours practicing! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 27 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #125

Instructor
Group Icon

Great news!! smile.gif

If you feel that you don't have enough time to cover all the lessons each day, you can focus on 1 or 2 different each day of the week and play twice the other ones. Set different priorities for each day to be able to focus on the weak points of each topic or lesson. This is a good trick when we want to cover many things and the diary time practice is short.

Does the method make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Nov 30 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #126

Hey Gab,
Yeah I understand your point with working on different things on different days, that's kind of what I did this week. I am not able to play daily so its still difficult to fit everything in. Hopefully next year with more time off work, I integrate more things into my practice time.
Unfortunately I haven't managed to record any new takes this week. I wanted to at the weekend but instead of recording takes i took the time i had to practice. I have learned the Kyuss lesson in full and want to do a take soon. I haven't learned all the parts yet to the alternative picking lesson but i am slowly getting there.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 1 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #127

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Philm, thanks for the update. This sounds good. Don't worry about the videos, you can record them in the following days when you find some time to do it. Remember that these videos are very helpful to let you analyze and let me see if you are doing the things right and also to monitor your progress.

Another important thing to have in mind that a diary practice is always more effective, even if you just have 15 minutes for practicing on each day. It's always most effective to practice 15 minutes every day than 2 hours during the weekend. So, if it's possible, dedicate at least some minutes to your practice every day.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Dec 3 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #128

Hey gab, well I plan to record some videos at the weekend. I get back home late in the evenings and its already dark which makes it difficult to record. At the moment I can only play on 3 to 4 days a week. Its not ideal but that's how it is, I normally practice then for an hour and a half to 2 hours. I understand what you mean about playing daily though, its just not possible at the moment!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 4 2014, 02:12 PM
Post #129

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok Philm, thanks for the update and details. I'll wait for the videos in order to check your current progress. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Dec 9 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #130

Hey gab
Bad news...I don't know if you got my pm from yesterday that i sent you but unfortunately i have had a re-occurrence of my problems in my right hand from working on the computer biggrin.gif. My hand swelled up last week and went numb which means i have to rest it for probably at least two weeks or so.
Despite this bad news i want to remain positive and seeing as i can still use my left hand i thought i could use this time to work on legato technique. I started learning ben's land of legato lesson yesterday. i cannot pick with my right hand at all so i have to do it all with my left but that should be alright don't u think?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 9 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #131

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Philm, I'm sorry to hear this. Please take care of your right hand to be sure that it gets better soon. About practicing with your left hand, it's a very good idea! This are some things that comes to mind:

- Working on legato, vibrato and bending.
- Learning chords (drop 2, drop 3 positions), arpeggios and scales.
- Learning some theory behind scales, modes, tonalities, improvisation.
- Doing some ear training.

You just cannot play rhythm, alternate picking, sweep picking and tapping but you can do lots of other things! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Dec 9 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #132

Hey Gab, Thanks for the ideas! I have a few questions though. The legato practicing is working well with the left hand but I am not sure how i can practice vibrato and bending without picking. How do suggest I do this exactly? Learning chords also sounds interesting, what do mean by drop 2,drop 3 positions? Are you referring to learning the chords on different positions on the neck?

About my plan's over your holidays. I guess I will do as much as i can with my left hand until my right is better. When my right hand is better I will continue with my previous plan. Hopefully when you are back it's completely better and I will have been able to make new takes.

Have a great holiday and thanks again for your help,feedback and time this previous year!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 10 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #133

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate! Great to know that the ideas worked. smile.gif

For practicing vibrato and bending, you can do it setting the amp with a good amount of drive/sustain and tap the string with your left hand finger to make it sound and follow the tap by a vibrato or bend. It's something very similar to do tapping but with your left hand.

About the drop chords, here you will find them tabbed and explained: LINK.

I'll be back after reading your message.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Dec 10 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #134

Ok Gab, thanks for the help. So with the vibrato and bending tapping, should I just pick points at random on the fretboard or are they any specific exercises i should be doing for this? I will check out the drop chords article you linked as well. The name of it put me off a bit though "jazz guitar basics" biggrin.gif But I guess this theory doesn't just apply to jazz does it?
I have also set it upon myself to finally learn the notes on the fretboard which i started today with the "notes on the guitar" lesson by bogdan.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 11 2014, 01:58 PM
Post #135

Instructor
Group Icon

I recommend you to do an exercise similar to this one for bending: http://youtu.be/Hh_pYY6UYIw?list=UUeVnM5LIvPF83C-6NqNd9pA
and like this one for vibrato: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

About the jazz basics! Definitely! Every style can sound richer if you use this knowledge wisely and with a good taste. The guitarist of this band is a great example of applying jazz concepts to a rocker style:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Dec 11 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #136

Ok Gab thanks, So here is my plan until my right hand is ready again.

Techniques

1.Ben's Land of Legato
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

2.Ben's Vibrato Odyssey 5(this one I have already been working on for a while)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

3.String Bending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_pYY6UYIw...vPF83C-6NqNd9pA

Theory

Notes On The Guitar
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Notes-On-The-Guitar/

Jazz Guitar Basics
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51072
I know incubus although I haven't listened to them since my teenage years! I am still not quite sold on this jazz stuff but I will be open and give it a go!

Pentatonic Scale
Pentatonic Workshop Lesson
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ming-exercises/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48917

Once my right hand is better I will practice the rhythm lessons and other technical lessons again.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 12 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #137

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Philm, great job organizing the whole routine. It seems that this days with only one hand available will be really effective to focus on some techniques that need to be polished so you will get something positive from a momentousness limit.

The routine is long so maybe you won't be able to cover everything every day. So please organize each of the 3 weeks to cover everything. Remember that the "theory" and "improvisation" stuff need more time to assimilate the concepts.

Let's go for this one during the next weeks, and start with some rhythm as soon as your right hand is ready. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Jan 4 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #138

Hey Gab
I hoped you had good holidays. Despite my limitations with my right hand over the last weeks I've managed quite well with my routine. I focused mainly on the technique lessons but I also learnt a little theory. After three weeks of having my right hand out of action I managed to again practice some rhythm lessons this past week and have done some takes on the stoner style lessons. I am maybe a little rusty after the break but I thought i would do the takes anyway as I was practicing this lessons before my injury.

Fu Manchu Take 2
Here is the second take on this lesson. I tried to focus on making the bends more accurate here.

Kyuss
Here is my first take of this lesson. There are a few issues here but here's the first look at my progress on this one.

Stoner Rock 1 Take 3
The third take of this one, i am not entirely happy with this take but i have tried to be the more aggressive on the vibrato here.

Stoner Rock 2 Take 3
And finally the stoner rock 2 lesson.

So that's the four stoner rock lessons that i have been working on for a while. I want to do new takes on the frusciante lessons and also the technique lessons perhaps next week. Then we can see where I am and make a new plan for the next weeks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 5 2015, 09:23 PM
Post #139

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi philm! I had a great time, thanks for asking! It’s great to see that you have been working really hard during these days. I can say that I note improvements on your playing so you are definitely on the right track. I’ll give you specific feedback for each lesson to mark those details that you need to have in mind.

Fu Manchu Take 2:
Great job with this one man! It’s sounding smooth and groovy most of the time. There are some little things that I’d like to comment and that should be the things that you keep in mind during the next days of practice. The first one is that you should relax your right hand a bit more; it looks and feels to rigid. Try to make the motion from your wrist freer and also add some movement of your forearm, starting from your elbow. It must not be a dramatic change in your motion but try to tend to it.

Technically your take has strong points. Your palm muting is sounding good and your timing for the rhythm section is getting close to be completely tight. You still have to adjust your vibrato technique which is a bit weak yet in both soloing and riffing.
Your take is lacking dynamics. Most of the downstrokes during the rhythm section sound with the same intensity and doing is quits life to the overall feel and sound. Close your eyes while you practice, feel the drums, how the kick and snare hits and after some minutes just listening try to follow this intention with your right hand.

Your bending technique is getting better but the pitches are sometimes a bit off yet. Remember to use other fingers to help the one that is bending.

Kyuss:
Nice! You can play the whole lesson without problems! You keep timing most of the time tight and your playing is precise on this one. The next thing to work on this one is once again “giving more life to your playing”. Now that you can play the whole thing, it’s time to add that extra value that can be achieved focusing on groove, dynamics and vibrato. It’s time to stop thinking and start feeling so turn off the lights, close your eyes, feel the groove, feel each note, experiment! And let me know what happens.

Stoner Rock 1:
This one is evolving really good but I think that there is a little issue with timing yet when when you do the hammer on and pull off in the mains riffs. You tend to play it a bit before the beat and that makes the overall groove sound weak. This is not a big issue but it’s a small issue that should be fixed in order to make your rhythm playing sound tight and professional. Please work it. Besides that thing, the overall is good, however the work on dynamics, vibrato and bending for the other lessons will surely affect this one.

Stoner Rock 2:
The rhythm section of this one is sounding really tight! You are really feeling the groove of this one! Well done. Except from the lick at 00:46, I can say that this one is ready to rock! Congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
post Jan 7 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #140

Hey gab!
Glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for your extensive feedback, its really helpful!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 5 2015, 08:23 PM) *
It’s time to stop thinking and start feeling so turn off the lights, close your eyes, feel the groove, feel each note, experiment!

I guess this is the key point from your feedback besides the timing and techniques issues. I just hope my wife doesn't walk in while I do that though, i might get some strange looks ha! biggrin.gif But yeah i am concentrating so hard on not making mistakes and taking all your feedback in that perhaps i need to relax a little more, i will try it out!

So here is my revised plan for the next two weeks or so.

Plan

Rhythm

Section1-Stoner Rock
Fu Manchu(5x)
Kyuss(5x)
Stoner Rock 1(3x)
Stoner Rock 2(3x)

Section 2- John Frusciante
John Fru..1(3x)
John Fru..2(3x)
John Fru..3(5x)
Too be honested I am still struggling on this lessons i just can't seem to master them. I tried to record a new take last week but its still not good and i need more practice on these.

Depending on how much time i have to practice, i will alternate these on different days

Section 3 - Metalcore
Bring me the horizon(10-20mins)

I would like to start with this metalcore lesson, i'm not sure if it maybe too difficult but I will give it a go.

Techniques

Land of Legato(10mins)
Vibrato Odyssey(5mins)
String Bending(5mins)
Alternative picking(Got to take a little break from this one, its too hard on my right hand at the moment.)

Theory

Notes On The Guitar(5mins)
Nearly completed this one, I'm quite confident now in naming the notes.

Pentatonic Scale
Pentatonic Workshop Lesson
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ming-exercises/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48917

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 08:06 AM