Perfect Pc For Recording Music
Darius Wave
Jan 26 2014, 09:51 PM
Instructor

I was searching for some "make Your PC silent" tips for my old PC...that currently works more like a living room workstation...but what I found was far beyond my expectations biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 26 2014, 10:14 PM
GMC:er
biggrin.gif though old, I just looked and seems water cooling systems are still not very affordable.

I used these and it helped a little;

They are thin but hard glass wools that aren't expensive. One is cut and placed under the pc (lessening vibrations of itself and desk, I also placed these under the monitor speakers) and one is facing the back of the pc as it made a bigger difference than the one placed under (I guess a lot of the noise is reflected from the wall since its the most open area of the pc.

But sure these are only minor impromevents. The best and cheapest way is to place the computer to a different room and connect soundcard'n stuff through the wall...if the house isn't rental biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 26 2014, 10:57 PM
Instructor
I have a 50 mm acoustic foam under monitors. I consider using the foam as well for this pc smile.gif My old PC is just a "writting machine" and "movie watching gear" rig ht now but m,y living room is almost empty so the resonance of pc noise is killer. By far I just made my graphic card silend...by....removing it tongue.gif ...and using onboard vga tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 26 2014, 11:14 PM
Thats cool smile.gif when I builted mine I specifically searched for a no fan-cheapest graphic card there was smile.gif but seems there won't be any fanless graphic cards anymore? I got curious how is the onboard working?

Oh though I didn't try I forgot to mention, someone recently told me after 2-3 years all fans needs oiling. He said right on the middle of top (usually under a sticker) there is a hole where oil can be used (just 1-2 drops is enough). I think he said machine oil but not sure right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2014, 12:03 AM
That's one way smile.gif Or you could just put your existing computer in one of these. I've seen these at wads of studios here in town.

Noren Acoustilock Computer Cabinet
Attached Image

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 26 2014, 03:51 PM) *
I was searching for some "make Your PC silent" tips for my old PC...that currently works more like a living room workstation...but what I found was far beyond my expectations biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 27 2014, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 27 2014, 05:28 AM
I have a gaming rig, loads of fans, but the noise never really bugged me, its virtually silent, unless I overclock anything tongue.gif my casing has built-in pads to reduce vibration and noise biggrin.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 27 2014, 10:23 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 27 2014, 12:03 AM) *
That's one way smile.gif Or you could just put your existing computer in one of these. I've seen these at wads of studios here in town.

Noren Acoustilock Computer Cabinet
Attached Image

I'd agree with this Todd or put it in a separate machine room.

A little OT - angled acoustic foam under monitors can help a bit with recoil and isolation but the better soluton is proper stands.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 27 2014, 11:42 AM
Instructor
I was considering the case as well but my new PC is silent enough for semi-professional recordings (At least it's never louder than the neighbours while I live in a flat) I brought this topic because I was trying to silence my additional PC for living room smile.gif

Also... for cheap home studio purpose I can advice this graphic card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiaWtb0Mqas

It has a huge fan it it really is big and quiet comparing to most of available graphic cards in this price range.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2014, 05:12 AM
Indieatl.com uses one of those isolation cases for their mac tower and it's pretty spiff! It's got super quiet fans feeding it and great noise isolation. I think one could probably just build something similar for less money depending on how good ones carpentry skills are smile.gif

P.S. MR MIRO has a BRILLIANT idea about the foam under your monitors.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 27 2014, 05:42 AM) *
I was considering the case as well but my new PC is silent enough for semi-professional recordings (At least it's never louder than the neighbours while I live in a flat) I brought this topic because I was trying to silence my additional PC for living room smile.gif

Also... for cheap home studio purpose I can advice this graphic card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiaWtb0Mqas

It has a huge fan it it really is big and quiet comparing to most of available graphic cards in this price range.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 5 2014, 12:35 PM
Instructor
I do have the foam there for a long time smile.gif

+Quote Post
NPB1979
Feb 21 2014, 05:11 PM
They sell that foam stuff to install into cars too to keep the noise outside outside. It makes the car heavier and on my old hybrid decreased the MPG.

I think the wool sheets would help, but now what I do is try keeping my hackintosh as far from where I'm doing music stuff as possible... distance baby. Some quieter fans helped a lot too.

--------------------
As me about my Michigan-based handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups. Est. 2010 - I wind more for hobby and not for profit. I do pickup winding, rewinding, and some vintage repair as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:13 PM