Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gmc United Video Collaboration, Instructor/students Video Collaboration
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 22 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #141

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

I'm really struggling with this track and coming up with something good. It has a sort of minimalistic feel that to me doesn't invite too much space for a guitar solo. But that may just be me.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 22 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #142

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.479

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 22 2014, 03:40 PM) *
I'm really struggling with this track and coming up with something good. It has a sort of minimalistic feel that to me doesn't invite too much space for a guitar solo. But that may just be me.

I have the same struggling with this track. I can't feel myself in what I improv and this is not good sad.gif This is why I always choose minor scales tongue.gif In major scale my improv sound like a song for babies biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 22 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #143

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 22 2014, 05:58 PM) *
I have the same struggling with this track. I can't feel myself in what I improv and this is not good sad.gif

That's pretty much how I feel! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ricky9
post Feb 22 2014, 06:06 PM
Post #144

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.450

I know that feeling it took me almost 3 hours of trial and error and my brain on fire ohmy.gif , to come up with something. The thing that help me was to try to sing a melody inside my head, then try to do it with the guitar. Wow!!!! let me tell you it was a brainstorming experience.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 22 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #145

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Ricky9 @ Feb 22 2014, 05:06 PM) *
I know that feeling it took me almost 3 hours of trial and error and my brain on fire ohmy.gif , to come up with something. The thing that help me was to try to sing a melody inside my head, then try to do it with the guitar. Wow!!!! let me tell you it was a brainstorming experience.

I sang the melody in my head, I listened the backing for 1000 times, I switch the instruments, I made the solo on my piano, I beat it the rhythm on my drum but not a good result sad.gif It's hard to explain and maybe if I try will be a stupid thing. But usually when I hear a backing I feel something, now.... I like the backing very much but I don't feel that thing wink.gif

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 22 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #146

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 22 2014, 06:21 PM) *
I sang the melody in my head, I listened the backing for 1000 times, I switch the instruments, I made the solo on my piano, I beat it the rhythm on my drum but not a good result sad.gif It's hard to explain and maybe if I try will be a stupid thing. But usually when I hear a backing I feel something, now.... I like the backing very much but I don't feel that thing wink.gif

If you feel like it you can post your ideas here and I'll try and I'll do the same and we can give some advice smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ricky9
post Feb 22 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #147

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 22 2014, 12:45 PM) *
If you feel like it you can post your ideas here and I'll try and I'll do the same and we can give some advice smile.gif

I think this is a great idea, we can all help out!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 22 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #148

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Ricky9 @ Feb 22 2014, 06:51 PM) *
I think this is a great idea, we can all help out!!!!

I'll post something in a second. smile.gif

Here's a work in progress take:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ricky9
post Feb 22 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #149

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 22 2014, 01:09 PM) *
I'll post something in a second. smile.gif

Here's a work in progress take:

That sounds really good. I believe it goes very well with the melody. You should keep this idea and just go with it. Good job!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 22 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #150

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 22 2014, 05:45 PM) *

I worked already with Darek as usual but you know when I'm not feel the same with the backing I must stop and change the things smile.gif Even if millions of persons like my improv first of all I must like my improv. You understand guys what I want to mean smile.gif Even if I will skip from this collab you know guys that I will give you all my support wink.gif
SO,.... in this moment I prepare a lesson for Rec section biggrin.gif I hardly wait to finish this lesson because I worked very hard at every tiny details with Darek smile.gif I'm more than happy about result that will come out very soon and very grateful to my instructor. What I have learned from this lesson it's much than I studied alone one year wink.gif

Ben I like your improv. Sounds very good smile.gif You can use it for this collab. Why you don't like it? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ricky9
post Feb 22 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #151

Hey Monica there is nothing wrong with that, I believe on playing from the heart too. Just know, we are here to help!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 22 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #152

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Ricky9 @ Feb 22 2014, 06:20 PM) *
Hey Monica there is nothing wrong with that, I believe on playing from the heart too. Just know, we are here to help!!!

Glad that you understood smile.gif I know guys "all for one and one for all" biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
post Feb 22 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #153

Tone Seeker

Member No.: 4.519

I have been reading your chat here. I usually keep on recording ideas and just take out what are best. Then when I have 2 or more good licks or prases I usually come up the rest. Of course when I'm in a good recording mood wink.gif

And Caelum, you have the base of your solo ready. Just keep on going, mate smile.gif

This post has been edited by WeePee: Feb 22 2014, 09:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 22 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #154

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 22 2014, 07:16 PM) *
Ben I like your improv. Sounds very good smile.gif You can use it for this collab. Why you don't like it? ohmy.gif

It's alright. I only just came up with it before I recorded it, but it lacks a little something extra - a little spice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Feb 22 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #155

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

I, like others here, have been struggling to come up with something for this collab for a couple weeks, I think I have finally come up with something halfway decent. I just need to polish it up a bit before the deadline. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Feb 22 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #156

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 22 2014, 10:07 PM) *
It's alright. I only just came up with it before I recorded it, but it lacks a little something extra - a little spice.

Maybe worth trying to connect the melodic phrases with a bit of fast/shred runs, something similar like at 0:13 ; 0:25 ; 0:45 in this lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Melodi...Lukather-Style/
Changing pace of the solo and dynamics can have a dramatic effect.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Feb 23 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #157

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Hey Ben! I like your take man smile.gif I think you are fussing too much to be honest - the first half is very good, but maybe you could add some more dynamic changes in the second half - as Bogdan suggested.

We are FAR too prone on using the minor scale in our playing, if you ask me smile.gif It's not about a style here, but it's about ear training biggrin.gif If you listen to music involving major sounds - and it doesn't have to be baby music - you will get some great ideas wink.gif Trust me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 23 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #158

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 23 2014, 08:06 AM) *
We are FAR too prone on using the minor scale in our playing, if you ask me smile.gif It's not about a style here, but it's about ear training biggrin.gif If you listen to music involving major sounds - and it doesn't have to be baby music - you will get some great ideas wink.gif Trust me!

Search in my playlist and if you will find a song in major scales I will give you a bax of beer laugh.gif I don't like how the songs sound in major scales. This is my musical preferences. Minor scale gives me a good and inspiring mood. The major scale will never create that dark-sad feel wink.gif I don't know how to explain, I looking for a mood.... but this is my opinion and my taste. Really......major scale remember me about the Kelly Family songs, not for my taste tongue.gif I can improv in major scale but I don't like it. My improv for this collab doesn't sounds bad but it's not what I expect from me. So, it's not about ear training (in my case) here it's just about my taste. It's more than simple and this is not a campaign against major scale, was just my opinion about my preferences wink.gif I don't need a medicine to treat my taste laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Feb 23 2014, 10:25 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Feb 23 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #159

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 23 2014, 08:37 AM) *
Search in my playlist and if you will find a song in major scales I will give you a bax of beer laugh.gif I don't like how the songs sound in major scales. This is my musical preferences. Minor scale gives me a good and inspiring mood. The major scale will never create that dark-sad feel wink.gif I don't know how to explain, I looking for a mood.... but this is my opinion and my taste. Really......major scale remember me about the Kelly Family songs, not for my taste tongue.gif I can improv in major scale but I don't like it. My improv for this collab doesn't sounds bad but it's not what I expect from me. So, it's not about ear training (in my case) here it's just about my taste. It's more than simple and this is not a campaign against major scale, was just my opinion about my preferences wink.gif I don't need a medicine to treat my taste laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey hey smile.gif I got the idea smile.gif You can't argue someone's tastes - I was referring to the fact that a lot of folks complain about not getting through with the solo, and the simplest way to do it is to 'borrow' licks/phrases from songs that contain major scales and make them your own smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Procyon
post Feb 23 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #160

GMC:er

Member No.: 2.372

Pheww - this has nearly driven me insane... it seemed that just everything around me was trying to prevent me from being part of this collab... first that stupid cat that bit my thumb mad.gif and when I finally thought that I was ready to record really strange things started to happen: either my computer suddenly stopped recording several times (of course exactly during those takes when I only made minor mistakes for a change...) or my camera magically changed position so there was only my jeans visible in the vid... or the cam stopped because the battery was low... or cam said it couldn't record because the memory card was full... or my son stumbeld into the room - but most of the time I just made some mistakes (I am always a bit nervous when I record - I know it's stupid wink.gif )
But finally I'm done. It's not perfect but I can't do it better rolleyes.gif And by the way: Despite all those stupid things that happened it was really great fun - thanks gmc! smile.gif

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2017 - 06:05 AM