Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Olympics, What are your favorite events?
AK Rich
post Feb 6 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #1

Learning Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 13.839

Hey everyone! It's that time again so let the games begin! Best of luck to all the nations represented here at GMC as well as those that are not.
Lets hope that the games go off without a hitch in light of all the recent threats to them. If you will be following the games this year, what events will you be following or what are your favorites? Feel free to discuss anything at all related to the games here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Feb 7 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.733

man,i love when the smallest countries beat the biggest ones

+Quote Post
ElHombre
post Feb 7 2014, 03:41 AM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 14.679

Ice hockey.
Imagine the pressure on the russians to win this olympics at home.

So I hope my country Sweden can ruin that party biggrin.gif

Will also be fun to see the skiing battles with Norway, even though they are way better in my opinion

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Feb 7 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #4

GMC:er

Member No.: 15.741

The Olympics are great, I can get into just about everything they air. Just the whole atmosphere, and the amount of hard work and dedication it takes for the athletes to get there is inspiring. And even sports I could usually care less about about are exciting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
post Feb 7 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Tone Seeker

Member No.: 4.519

Hockey, hockey and hockey. Did I say hockey btw ?
And snowboarding

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Feb 9 2014, 04:36 AM
Post #6

Learning Guitar Hero

So Hockey seems to be a favorite so far here. I don't usually watch a lot of hockey but I will be following it at the games for sure. smile.gif
So far things seem to be off to a good start with a great opening ceremony. The use of projections on the floor was spectacular along with the giant moving mobiles going across the arena. I didn't think it quite matched up to the opening ceremony in Beijing, but was better than London's.
The events I like best are the Snowboarding, Skiing and the Luge/Bobsled/Skeleton events. Since I grew up being somewhat of a thrillseeker, I can identify most with these events. I watched the training sessions of the downhill today and man that course looks treacherous! There was more than one scary looking wipeout.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 9 2014, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
Palacios
post Feb 9 2014, 05:00 AM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 19.095

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 8 2014, 07:36 PM) *
So Hockey seems to be a favorite so far here. I don't usually watch a lot of hockey but I will be following it at the games for sure. smile.gif
So far things seem to be off to a good start with a great opening ceremony. The use of projections on the floor was spectacular along with the giant moving mobiles going across the arena. I didn't think it quite matched up to the opening ceremony in Beijing, but was better than London's.
The events I like best are the Snowboarding, Skiing and the Luge/Skeleton events. Since I grew up being somewhat of a thrillseeker, I can identify most with these events. I watched the training sessions of the downhill today and man that course looks treacherous! There was more than one scary looking wipeout.

Since your from Alaska, you've probably got a lot of athletes there representing our country. We got two from Northern California. Go Team USA!

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
post Feb 9 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #8

Tone Seeker

Member No.: 4.519

Hooray ! A silver medal for Finns in women's slope style, snowboarding.

wub.gif Go Enni ! Go Enni !

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Feb 9 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #9

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

My favorite to watch will be hockey. I am a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks and we have 10 players representing their country. The only player for USA from Chicago is Patrick Kane. We have 3 players each for Canada and Sweden. If US doesn't win gold then I'll be routing for one of those countries to win.

I'll also enjoy the women's figure skating, short distance speed skating, and the alpine skiing as highlights. Also Shawn White and his pursuit of more Snowboarding gold. It is the only time I watch these sports is during the Olympics! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Feb 9 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 8 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Since your from Alaska, you've probably got a lot of athletes there representing our country. We got two from Northern California. Go Team USA!

Yes! 6 of them it looks like. Most of which are cross country skiier's, with possibly 5 more who either lived here or have strong ties to Alaska.
Shawn White is one of the athletes from Cali right? I hope he can get that 3peat!

http://www.adn.com/2014/02/06/3311370/alaskas-olympians.html

QUOTE (WeePee @ Feb 9 2014, 07:44 AM) *
Hooray ! A silver medal for Finns in women's slope style, snowboarding.

wub.gif Go Enni ! Go Enni !

Congrats! smile.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 9 2014, 09:23 AM) *
My favorite to watch will be hockey. I am a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks and we have 10 players representing their country. The only player for USA from Chicago is Patrick Kane. We have 3 players each for Canada and Sweden. If US doesn't win gold then I'll be routing for one of those countries to win.

I'll also enjoy the women's figure skating, short distance speed skating, and the alpine skiing as highlights. Also Shawn White and his pursuit of more Snowboarding gold. It is the only time I watch these sports is during the Olympics! smile.gif

Wow! 10 players from one team! Impressive, the Blackhawks must be badass!

+Quote Post
Palacios
post Feb 10 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #11

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 19.095

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 9 2014, 10:40 AM) *
Yes! 6 of them it looks like. Most of which are cross country skiier's, with possibly 5 more who either lived here or have strong ties to Alaska.
Shawn White is one of the athletes from Cali right? I hope he can get that 3peat!

http://www.adn.com/2014/02/06/3311370/alaskas-olympians.html

Congrats! smile.gif

Wow! 10 players from one team! Impressive, the Blackhawks must be badass!

Jamie Anderson is from CA; she won gold in Slopestyle. Joe Pavelski is from the SF area. He's competing in Hockey. Hope he does well. Go team USA!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Feb 10 2014, 03:23 AM
Post #12

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 9 2014, 03:30 PM) *
Jamie Anderson is from CA; she won gold in Slopestyle. Joe Pavelski is from the SF area. He's competing in Hockey. Hope he does well. Go team USA!

Sweet! 2 for 2 in Slopestyle! Man those 3 jumps are huge! Can't wait to see how Bode Miller does in the downhill. ph34r.gif
I just got done watching Plushenko skate again for Russia in the team competition. After all these years he has still got it. The music he skated to in the team freeskate was the Godfather theme. How appropriate! Gotta respect The Plush!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 12:23 PM