2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Behemoth's Nergal: The Majority Of U.s. Death Metal Bands Are "boring And Generic"
SindreD
post Feb 18 2014, 09:51 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 16.709

Hmm, can't say I fully agree with him on this one. He may have meant current bands, I don't know. I mean, I can't understand why someone would label Death, Cynic, Atheist etc as "generic and boring". He's probably talking about the current Deathcore scene (in which I would agree), because as far as I know, the music Nergal plays do come from Florida, with pioneering acts such as Obituary, Morbid Angel and the aforementioned.

There are also several current American Death Metal bands that bring some new and exciting stuff to the table, like Cattle Decapitation, The Black Dahlia Murder and Suffocation!

I have never seen Behemoth live as of yet, but I'm going to see them twice this year so I'm really looking forward to that! I loved The Satanist, and I think it's safe to say it's ending up on my top 10 of 2014 albums!

Speaking of Polish Death Metal acts, I saw Decapitated live in January and it was one of the greatest live shows ever! biggrin.gif Check out "Spheres of Madness" if you haven't already, one of the most catchy Death Metal tracks ever!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 19 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Yes.I think he was talking about the current crop of bands. I don't think he meant any of the bands you mentioned, none of those would qualify as boring smile.gif Mostly I think he means EMURE and those types.

Nergal plays "Black/Blackened" Metal which is of course an offshoot of Death Metal/Technical Death Metal/Progressive Death Metal.

As such he owes a great debt, (as does all Modern Metal) to the early Florida scene where early elements of the Genre were defined by bands like DEATH and studios like MORISSOUND.

I'd agree with you that there are some standouts currently but these are the exceptions that make the rule IMHO. The scene as a whole seems to be entrenched in the traditions (musically) that were created 20 years ago with minor variation. I have to agree with Nergal that the bulk of it starts to sound generic and I'd love to hear a new approach that's unexpected. Nergals new album for example is a big step away from the constraints of "Black Metal" which has become a noose around the genres neck, preventing anything new.

The over reliance on blastbeats, cookie monster vocals, blitzkried speed all the time, every time, etc. is keeping the genre from evolving. The fans are partly to blame as the definition of what is and isn't "Black Metal" is razor thin.

Todd

QUOTE (SindreD @ Feb 18 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Hmm, can't say I fully agree with him on this one. He may have meant current bands, I don't know. I mean, I can't understand why someone would label Death, Cynic, Atheist etc as "generic and boring". He's probably talking about the current Deathcore scene (in which I would agree), because as far as I know, the music Nergal plays do come from Florida, with pioneering acts such as Obituary, Morbid Angel and the aforementioned.

There are also several current American Death Metal bands that bring some new and exciting stuff to the table, like Cattle Decapitation, The Black Dahlia Murder and Suffocation!

I have never seen Behemoth live as of yet, but I'm going to see them twice this year so I'm really looking forward to that! I loved The Satanist, and I think it's safe to say it's ending up on my top 10 of 2014 albums!

Speaking of Polish Death Metal acts, I saw Decapitated live in January and it was one of the greatest live shows ever! biggrin.gif Check out "Spheres of Madness" if you haven't already, one of the most catchy Death Metal tracks ever!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SindreD
post Feb 20 2014, 04:20 AM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 16.709

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 19 2014, 10:52 PM) *
Yes.I think he was talking about the current crop of bands. I don't think he meant any of the bands you mentioned, none of those would qualify as boring smile.gif Mostly I think he means EMURE and those types.

Ah, well in that case I agree wholeheartedly. I can't talk about Emmure without resorting to swearing, so I think I'll drop it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 19 2014, 10:52 PM) *
I'd agree with you that there are some standouts currently but these are the exceptions that make the rule IMHO. The scene as a whole seems to be entrenched in the traditions (musically) that were created 20 years ago with minor variation. I have to agree with Nergal that the bulk of it starts to sound generic and I'd love to hear a new approach that's unexpected. Nergals new album for example is a big step away from the constraints of "Black Metal" which has become a noose around the genres neck, preventing anything new.

The over reliance on blastbeats, cookie monster vocals, blitzkried speed all the time, every time, etc. is keeping the genre from evolving. The fans are partly to blame as the definition of what is and isn't "Black Metal" is razor thin.

Todd

Really well put, I never understood the constant craving for monotony among BM fans. To me, if a band gets hate for not being "true necro kvlt black metal" it just gives me a bigger reason to check them out. One of my current favorites, and you can call me insane, is Anaal Nathrakh. Just because it brings something new to the table with the whole Grindcore/Industrial elements and its sheer intensity whilst keeping their old Black Metal sound as well.

When it comes to Death Metal, I'm more into the technical aspect of it as long as it doesn't get too wanky. The majority of DM bands I listen to is either Polish, German or Canadian. I'd say the American scene probably is getting a little dull, particularly with the whole Deathcore thing in which every band sounds alike, but there's still a lot of decent stuff (latest offerings of Dying Fetus and The Faceless for instance) so I wouldn't generalise the whole American Death Metal scene.

To be honest, there's rarely I come across a Death Metal band which I really dislike. But then again, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. (or the right places, however you put it) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 21 2014, 07:27 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Anaal Nathrakh (Quick trivia, do you know where the name comes from?) is a good example of a band that's not afraid to push the boundaries. They actually include clean singing in tracks like "More Fire Than Blood" which would get a lesser band ejected from the scene entirely smile.gif Ihsahn is another example I think. He seems to really be open to experimentation and is able to pull it off for the most part and still be taken seriously. Doesn't hurt that he was part of the "First Wave" of Black Metal of course.

God bless the Polish smile.gif They really have embraced Death Metal and done some impressive things with it. There are a few bands here as you mention (Faceless/Dying Fetus, maybe Falujah on certain tracks?) Which do seem to be the exceptions but hopefully soon the EMURE/Core thing will die a merciful death and the scene can just move the heck on smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SindreD @ Feb 19 2014, 10:20 PM) *
Ah, well in that case I agree wholeheartedly. I can't talk about Emmure without resorting to swearing, so I think I'll drop it. tongue.gif

Really well put, I never understood the constant craving for monotony among BM fans. To me, if a band gets hate for not being "true necro kvlt black metal" it just gives me a bigger reason to check them out. One of my current favorites, and you can call me insane, is Anaal Nathrakh. Just because it brings something new to the table with the whole Grindcore/Industrial elements and its sheer intensity whilst keeping their old Black Metal sound as well.

When it comes to Death Metal, I'm more into the technical aspect of it as long as it doesn't get too wanky. The majority of DM bands I listen to is either Polish, German or Canadian. I'd say the American scene probably is getting a little dull, particularly with the whole Deathcore thing in which every band sounds alike, but there's still a lot of decent stuff (latest offerings of Dying Fetus and The Faceless for instance) so I wouldn't generalise the whole American Death Metal scene.

To be honest, there's rarely I come across a Death Metal band which I really dislike. But then again, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. (or the right places, however you put it) tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 03:15 AM