> Pro Tools Rumour
Saoirse O'Shea
post Feb 12 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #1

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

There's an interesting story doing the rounds that Avid will drop all versions of PT apart from the pro end PTHD with the next release.
Avid at the moment have seen their value fall from about $3 billion to a $300 million in the last couple of years and haven't filed company acounts with NASDAQ and in the UK for the last year or so. Last time they filed account in 2011 their short term debts had gone from $1million to $18million.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Feb 12 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 18.294

Thats bad...not much of a follower but I thought they were strong on video-broadcast products?

Though personally I liked working with HD systems but hated the LE (they call it express these days?) software.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 12 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

I wonder which are the main reasons of this. Pro tools is still being used in pro levels here in my country. The biggest recording studios and TV channels use it but as it's not "home studio" friendly I think that they are missing all the business between a "just for hobby" to "top level". What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Feb 12 2014, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Hard to say exactly and it is just a rumor - ?
It's still used at the 'top' level here too. The problem is that there's considerably less top level now than when Avid (PT) entered the market. And also one can do 'close enough to top level' quality w/o having to use top level gear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 13 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I'd say that's more than a rumor. That's a business plan!!!! Avid have really gotten "over" the thought of the "pro sumer" market since there's just not enough profit to be had in it. Much the same reason APPLE let go of the "Pro" market and released iMOVIE PRO instead of the next Final Cut update, and quit making Pro Towers in favor of new trash bin shaped plastic thing that replaced the Mac Pro Tower. Sure sure, it's all part of the process smile.gif

The margins are still alive in large installations like those at CNN and other very large facilities where they can sell service agreements!! (the real money hides in service instead of hardware).

They tried for a few years to get in to the 'prosumer" game until they realized the competition was fierce and the margins were minimal. So per usual, get ready for another Avid upgrade cycle where every product in the line is declared "Obsolete" smile.gif And you have to buy all new hardware and software, again smile.gif

Sorry if I seem bitter, I was a research assistant in a graduate lab that was based around Avid/Protools and after watching how they force fed updates, cut off products/support, all Avid/ProTools gear went on my "Do Not Buy" list.

TASCAM has recently joined the same list smile.gif I was a big fan til they decided to kill driver support for my main interface/mixer. The good news is, these changes push us in to new option that we may not have considered before.

Personally, I found PRESONUS as a result of all this. Specifically, the persons 16.0.2 which is an amazing bit of it. full mixer, fx if needed, full software control, integrated daw, xmas preamps, firewire interface, etc. Couldn't be happier smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 12 2014, 05:43 AM) *
There's an interesting story doing the rounds that Avid will drop all versions of PT apart from the pro end PTHD with the next release.
Avid at the moment have seen their value fall from about $3 billion to a $300 million in the last couple of years and haven't filed company acounts with NASDAQ and in the UK for the last year or so. Last time they filed account in 2011 their short term debts had gone from $1million to $18million.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Feb 13 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

I tend to agree Todd - I've never been a fan of PT either. What avid were good at for quite some time was making small studios think they were the 'industry standard' when they weren't. Too many would see that some large pro studio had PT and assume that if they got it that the 'magic' would rub off on them as well. What most never realised is that the majority of large studios have other DAWs besides PT and almost certainly got their PT for free as part of Avid's marketing. In addition if you went with PT lite rather than the full PTHD with accel rig what you got never really cut it when compared with the competition. Even if you did go with HD and accel there are lot of better and more upto date i/o convertors for much the same price: so if you were starting out you could get better but if you already had PTHD you ended up being 'locked in'. Avid made a lot of smaller sudios think that it's an 'industry standard' and that what is used in music is the same in post and broadcast - it wasn't and it isn't. There's a reason why PT is referred to by many in the industry as 'ProFools'.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Feb 13 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 18.294

I agree with every comment here but just want to add that 10 years ago musicians/bands didn't have much knowledge of audio engineering in the past compared to today.

Searching for a studio that had a protools system was sort of a defence incase they get ripped off. Protools stuff were always expensive so there had to be some level of success for the studio owner to afford one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Feb 13 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Even though I've seen mostly protools everytime I was recording in a professional studio, I could never make myself get used to. So I end up with Cubase. I think Gab has and interesting point. Times changed - a lot of customers are home studios. Seems like competition - Cubase, Repaer etc...has a more to offter for home studio owners and Avid just miss that part of the market.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Feb 26 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Latest on Avid:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12442174/1/...ling-today.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Feb 26 2014, 11:30 PM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Ouch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 27 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Ouch is right smile.gif reminds me a bit of how SGI (silicon graphics) squandered a 5 year lead on the industry and is now a shadow of its former self. Avid got a huge leap won everyone way back when they bought edit droid from George Lucas /ILM and have managed to now have their stock delisted and are on the verge of collapse.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 26 2014, 05:58 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 05:15 AM