Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Need Some Advice Or Help Or Something
Flaringo
post Jul 10 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.228

Hi. I started playing guitar about a week ago, I decided to subscribe to this great site and start learning. I started on the beginner lessons, got through the first one pretty easily. Then I went on to the second one about pentatonic scales, and I just can't do it. I keep missing the strings (more than the notes actually) like some crazed monkey!

Do you guys have anything clever that can help me master this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
post Jul 10 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2.113

What tempo are you trying to play the scales at?

Remember not to try and go to fast to begin with, take it slowly,

I've been playing for a year or two now and you cant just dive in straight at it by trying to go at an ultra-fast tempo, otherwise you will butcher all the notes, you have to start very slowly and build up pace until it becomes natural. Then you should should be able to play it faster, if your having trouble with your fingering, try to sort it at first with your right hand - placing the left hand fingers into their right positions, dont worry about playing the notes if you do this, just get the positioning right and keep trying until you become comfortable with doing it.

I hope this helps! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Jul 10 2007, 01:23 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Flaringo
post Jul 10 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Well I'm certainly not playing, or trying to play, ultra-fast. I take it nice and slow, but if I watch my right hand, my left hand misses, and the other way around. How long did it take for you to learn the pentatonic scale smoothly?

+Quote Post
funkymilk
post Jul 10 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (Flaringo @ Jul 10 2007, 02:47 PM) *
Well I'm certainly not playing, or trying to play, ultra-fast. I take it nice and slow, but if I watch my right hand, my left hand misses, and the other way around. How long did it take for you to learn the pentatonic scale smoothly?

I understand your problem.
Well, it just takes some hours to get them in your head, but thats the easy part. It takes months to learn how to improvise /using them for your own playing. But first you need to learn the pentatonics. Practice, your left and right hand will soon work together. I think everyone has this problem at the beginning. Keep on practicing. wink.gif
-cheers

--------------------
Dance with me !

+Quote Post
Owen
post Jul 10 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2.113

QUOTE (Flaringo @ Jul 10 2007, 01:47 PM) *

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding laugh.gif

You just have to stick with it in that case, like funkymilk says it will take some hours to get the pattern in your head, it's just a matter of keeping on going at it until you get to that stage. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
funkymilk
post Jul 10 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 10 2007, 03:11 PM) *
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding laugh.gif

You just have to stick with it in that case, like funkymilk says it will take some hours to get the pattern in your head, it's just a matter of keeping on going at it until you get to that stage. smile.gif

Exactly. smile.gif
- cheers

--------------------
Dance with me !

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Jul 10 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #7

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.395

QUOTE (Flaringo @ Jul 10 2007, 09:12 AM) *
Hi. I started playing guitar about a week ago, I decided to subscribe to this great site and start learning. I started on the beginner lessons, got through the first one pretty easily. Then I went on to the second one about pentatonic scales, and I just can't do it. I keep missing the strings (more than the notes actually) like some crazed monkey!

Do you guys have anything clever that can help me master this?

Hey Flaringo,

I had the same problem when I first started playing. I had no coordination between my left and right hands at all. And like you said if I looked at one the other would mess up. I've only been playing for two years and seriously practicing for only the last few months. I'm still not very fast but this is what I did when learning the pentatonic scales.

I picked one scale box..Am pentatonic to be exact....and just practiced the scale with my left hand. I didn't play the strings at all until I was comfortably moving up and down the Am scale without looking at my hand constantly. Then I started with the picking VERY SLOWLY, consentrating on the alternate picking. Eventually I'd practice with the metronome to help with the speed and my timing. Pretty soon I was moving up and down and gaining speed without losing the accuracy. It takes time and practice. Just be patient and you'll see results.

I do the same thing for all the scale boxes...it might not work for everyone but it helped me. I hope this helped. smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
Flaringo
post Jul 12 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #8

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll keep practising. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:56 AM